Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Question for John P. re: Kodak D-Camera

Author Topic: Question for John P. re: Kodak D-Camera
Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2004 10:10 PM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have finally decided to move into the modern world, so to speak, and purchase a digital camera. I like Kodak's reputation and products so started looking at their models. I don't know if this is really John's field of expertise, but thought he might know some things about certain models. Anyone else is of course welcome to chime in on these specific ones or their own favorites. [Smile] The models that have attracted my attention from Kodak are the EasyShare LS743, LS753 and CX7530. Any and all observations are appreciated.

Thanks,

- Mike

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-31-2004 12:48 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are wonderful resources available online for finding reviews and discussion of available cameras. This is one area where checking things out online makes a great deal of sense since the end result of the product is a digital photo and you can see the actual samples online. Some of these sites will also point you in the direction of online vendors. Even if you end up buying locally at least you have a frame of reference.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/
http://www.dcresource.com/
http://www.dpreview.com/

And of course http://www.cnet.com

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2004 03:24 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak do NOT make good digital cameras! Would stay away from one at all cost. For the same money, maybe a couple of $$ difference get something like a Canon or Nikon. Even KonicaMinolta have some great new products, had a bit of a bad run when Minolta was on its own, now they have joined with Konica they have got new models, they are good.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-31-2004 05:50 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a Nikon 4300 just under a year ago and thought it was excellent value at what would be around $300. 4mp is enough resolution to blow up the pics to 10x8 without any loss of definition, and there are lots of manual options, e.g. focus and exposure. It will also save pictures as uncompressed TIF files. The zoom lens isn't quite wide angle enough for my liking, but that's a minor issue. Can't say anything about Kodak cameras because I've never used one.

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2004 07:33 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a camera technician I can say that Nikons are very good cameras. Kodak are generaly throw away sorts of things once broken.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2004 11:50 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fuji, Nikon, Olympus, and Sony all make really good digital units.

I've only had experience with one Kodak unit, and it's pretty nice. It's an Easyshare model, shaped like a conventional 35mm body. I forget the model number..

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-01-2004 09:52 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Trimboli
Kodak do NOT make good digital cameras! Would stay away from one at all cost.
That's a rather broad and unsubstantiated statement! I assume you had a bad experience with one? [Roll Eyes]

Kodak just WON the independent J.D. Powers and Associates Award for Customer Satisfaction for two of the four consumer digital camera price classes they rate:

Kodak Digital Cameras Win J.D. Power Awards

quote:
What makes J.D. Power and Associates consumer rankings so different?

Since 1968, J.D. Power and Associates has been conducting quality and customer satisfaction research based on survey responses from millions of consumers worldwide. J.D. Power and Associates represents the voice of the customer.

J.D. Power and Associates 2004 Digital Camera Satisfaction StudySM

J.D. Power and Associates ranked KODAK EASYSHARE Digital Cameras "Highest in Customer Satisfaction in the $200-$399 and the $400-$599 price ranges." The study was based on 4,260 responses from consumers who purchased a digital camera between November, 2003 and June, 2004.

J. D. Power Award

quote:
Kodak ranks highest in both the $200-$399 and $400-$599 segments, which together make up the bulk of digital camera sales. In the $200-$399 segment, Kodak performs particularly well in the performance factor, especially with regard to the initial camera setup and ease of use. In the $400-$599 segment, Kodak receives its highest ratings in performance and connectivity, which includes the ease of connecting the camera to other devices and accessories.

-

If you decide to buy a Kodak Digital Camera, the Kodak website has an excellent comparison tool:

Kodak Digital Cameras Compared

Right now, the Kodak EasyShare DX7590 is very high on my Christmas "Wish List": [Cool]

Kodak DX7950 5-Megapixel 10X Optical Zoom Digital Camera

quote:
Professional-quality SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH VARIOGON 10X Optical Zoom Lens
5.0 MP for stunning-quality prints up to 20"x30" (50x76 cm)
Exclusive KODAK Color Science Image Processing Chip
2.2" high-resolution indoor/outdoor display
Manual and custom controls
High-speed, low-light auto-focus
Continuous shooting and bracketing modes
22 scene and color modes
Sharing is one-touch simple
Ready to go -- right out of the box

I've owned a Kodak DX3700 Digital Camera for almost two years, and it has been trouble-free in taking over 2500 photos. [thumbsup]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-01-2004 12:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
He may have had a low end Kodak camera, and it may have been from 5 years ago when technology wasn't as good as it is today.

Adam's Kodak camera takes magnificent pictures. I know he paid a LOT for it, but when my camera dies, I will probably buy a comparable model to his.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 11-01-2004 01:20 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I saw Adams camera. Really nice. Looks expensive, but i'm sure he got his money's worth.

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2004 06:14 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well as a camera technician having the fix the things I look at cameras from a repair point maybe. Maybe its just in Australia but parts for most models are expensive and most people in the photo industry over here do not look at a Kodak digital camera to highly. Nikon and Canon have a much better market share, and for good reason. If you can show me a Kodak digital camera (compact model) with the same sharpness and colour reproduction as a Canon I would love to see it!!!! If you have a look at something like an IXUS 400/500 at 4mp they take an amazing photo.

If Kodak cameras are pretty big in US then may be worth looking into as servicing will easy. I am simply saying for features and quality I feel there are better models out there.

What ever you buy make sure you keep it away from sand and water, biggest problem with cameras is sand. One grain of sand in a gear tooth and it locks the camera into error mode!

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2004 01:33 PM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the opinions and site recommendations all. Now I at least have a good place to start a comparison from.

- Mike

David Brooks
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2004 01:44 PM      Profile for David Brooks   Email David Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the early days, I purchased three different Kodak models. The last was the DC290. At that time (about 2001) I switched to Nikon and Canon. The Canon for they are small and take excellent color quality pictures and the Nikon (D-100) as I wanted a camera to use my Nikon lenses on (I have a 35mm F-3hp and N-90S). I have recommended Kodaks to other people starting out and they are happy.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: