Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Time to put my EET degree to work (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Time to put my EET degree to work
Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2004 07:06 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been offered a new job doing field work in the Nuclear energy field during outages at power plants. Great opportunity to use my degree, but I will be gone for 2 - 3 months at a time. Has anyone here been on a job away from home for extended periods like this. I am not concerned about doing the job but I have mixed feeling about being away from the family for the extended time. The job would be on the road for about 1 year and then work into a full time position at the local plant here. On the plus side I will have a chance to see a lot of theaters in the states and maybe even in Japan. Any and all thoughts are welcome

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-01-2004 07:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It may be an interesting way to get a "break" from the normal routine most people find themselves in between 30-50. If the pay is good and your family supports it, you should definitely consider it.

Of course you do realize we will torment you if you do not get lots of picture tours of theaters as you travel, right? [evil]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-01-2004 10:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Of course you do realize we will torment you if you do not get lots of picture tours of theaters as you travel, right?
The heck with the picture tours of theatres, thats lame stuff compared to where he's goin to be workin ... we want reactor tour photos!! Right down to and including the core [thumbsup]

I agree, if your family is with you on this then do it... if not then stick around for them. Family first ya know. If ya don't have any family then definately go for it......

Mark @ CLACO

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 11-01-2004 10:30 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you really are a stay-at-home type, I'd go for it. Communications technology today lets you stay in very good touch in every way but physical.

I'm the black sheep in my family, so I've never felt very close to any of them. Being on the road for months at a time is no big deal for me--in fact I prefer it.

And the best way to see the world is on someone else's nickel! Because of the length of your work stays you'll be able to see and experience things that mere tourists would miss. So invoke the first rule of fighter flying: "Thou shalt always go for it."

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-01-2004 10:35 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How your family will cope with it all depends on how old your family is. If you've got young kids it's (obviously) harder.

Mark, NukeWorker.com has some pictures at http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/. None too detailed, but pictures nonetheless.

Here's one of a CANDU reactor (PHWR) at Darlington.

-

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2004 11:08 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After talking it over with the family (my kids are older my youngest is 16) I am going for it. Now I need to see what else they will need from me. So far the process has been going fast and I have not even met anyone in person just on the phone for like 45 minutes and the college recommended me for it also. I think at some point in this process I need to actually sit down and talk with someone. They are telling me training starts in Memphis on the 15th of Nov for 6 - 10 weeks and then out to the field. Wish me luck and Brad I will take pictures as I can.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-01-2004 11:26 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck and have fun! Hopefully you'll be able to get home every once in awhile over the year. Most outages are usually only 4 to 6 weeks in length so getting home for a bit every month or so might be possible.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-01-2004 11:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck with the new job. Don't forget to check in from the hotel room and say hi to us. Let us know how things are going for you. [Smile]

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2004 02:27 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I called the company this morning to tell them I was interested and now they say that the resume is in the hands of the staffing managers and will be back to me with in a week. I asked if they were going to do a personal interview and she said sometimes they do and sometimes they do not. So I am in a wait mode until they get back to me. Hurray up and wait I guess. They had wanted the training to start on the 15 of Nov. I think they better get back pretty quick.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-02-2004 06:27 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is just the second time I've seen the "EET" degree come up. Is this, by chance, a 2-year degree? At the Jr. College I attended (Montgomery College) the degree was in ES (engineering Science) and was just an AA degree. The 4-year degree for me was at the University of Maryland and carried the BSEE (Bachelor of Science). In business, the only way I've seen engineers get a suffix is if they become licensed engineers and get the P.E. suffix....which basically means you can now sign off on buidling designs and be blamed for it all...for considerably more money (I need to check into that [Wink] )

But honestly, I've only ever heard of EET just once and the guy that earned the degree was so proud he put it after his name and signed it that way!

About the only people I know that get fancy suffixes to their names from school are lawyers that get "Esquire" (damn lawyers...three of them in my immediate family alone) and Doctors, of course that feel the need to keep adding onto their suffix as they attain more schooling.

Sorry to break up your job quest...I was just curious as to this EET thing. Good luck!

Steve

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2004 06:39 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is from the Cape Fear Community College website regarding the EET degree.
Electronics Engineering
Technology
A.A.S. DEGREE (A40200)
CERTIFICATE (C40200)
Associate in Applied Science Program
The Electronics Engineering Technology curriculum prepares
individuals to become technicians who design, build, install,
test, troubleshoot, repair, and modify developmental and
production electronic components, equipment, and systems
such as industrial/computer controls, manufacturing systems,
communication systems, and power electronic systems.
A broad-based core of courses, including basic electricity,
solid-state fundamentals, digital concepts, and
microprocessors, ensures the student will develop the skills
necessary to perform entry-level tasks. Emphasis is placed on
developing the student’s ability to analyze and troubleshoot
electronic systems.
Graduates should qualify for employment as engineering
assistants or electronic technicians with job titles such as
electronics engineering technician, field service technician,
maintenance technician, electronic tester, electronic systems
integrator, bench technician, and production control technician.
Basic computer skills are necessary for the successful
completion of this curriculum. Students entering this program
should have basic computer skills.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 11-02-2004 07:28 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are two-year (AAS) and four-year (BS) EET degree programs recognized and accredited by ABET and IEEE. An EET is essentially an EE without the higher math.

When I was with Hughes Aircraft Co Space & Comm Group we routinely recruited for new satellite operations people with four-year EET degrees, usually from DeVry in Phoenix, AZ. Of course for the real engineering and scientist jobs we'd take only those with an 'E' at the end--any 'E' would do--EE, ME, CSE. 'T's wouldn't be recruited for those jobs, though with the right work experience, a 'T' could move into a job normally requiring an 'E'.

GPA mattered too if a candidate didn't have work experience in the field--3.8 was our recruiting minimum.

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2004 10:23 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well The job is a go. I leave for Memphis for 4 weeks of training on the 28th of Nov. Then home for Xmas and back out to a job site in Jan until April or May. Anyone from Memphis want to float some passes my way and if so can I get pictures of the theaters to send in to Brad. My big limitation is my old laptop I am going to beef it up as much as I can but I am sure I will need to update at some time in the future.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-09-2004 11:29 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Memphis is Malco territory. I wonder if they still have the Klipsch demo theater at the Majestic?

Muvico also has the Peabody Place 22 in Memphis.

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2004 12:14 AM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now for my next question I have to get a cell phone and a laptop so what is the recommendation from everyone. I have been looking at Cingular Wireless and a Motorola V-551 phone and the Bluetooth 810 wireless headset. I am thinking of using my old Compaq Armada for now and get a new laptop later on if this one will not work. Does anyone want to suggest anything. I am going to Myrtle Beach to the Flea market in the Morning to see what I can find.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: