Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Flight attendant fired for blog pics (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Flight attendant fired for blog pics
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-03-2004 07:22 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A flight attendant for Delta who wrote an anonymous weblog has been fired for posting pictures of herself, in uniform, on her site. BBC Online coverage of the story can be found here (background info plus a quote from a Delta spokesman).

They're mad - those photos are the best advert Delta could ever have (with the possible exception of the pizza), and for free as well! No complaints here if Northwest offers her a job sometime between now and next Tuesday, though...

|  IP: Logged

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2004 09:49 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After looking ath the pics, I can see why Delta reserves the right to be upset about the photo's. She was, most liekly,on duty at the time the pics were taken. This amounts to an abuse of company time, as well as company assets (the plane, the uniform). It would have been one thing had she taken 'normal' pictures rather than the 'seductive' or 'alluring' ones she choose to take.

I think Delta may have gone overboard by releasing her from duty when a stern warning/reprimand should have been given...

What do YOU think about this?

Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2004 10:08 AM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree...this is great free publicity for the struggling airline. Maybe the firing was a grab for free publicity in itself

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-03-2004 01:25 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Her website
IF YOU ARE A MEMBER OF THE PRESS, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT QUEENOFSKY @ GMAIL.COM AND I WILL FORWARD YOU MY PR FIRM'S CONTACT INFO. [Her capitals, not mine]
PR firm, eh? Looks like they can both play the publicity game. [Roll Eyes]

Jason's point taken - if some feminist humour bypass patients decided to start kicking off about it I suppose not everyone would respond as positively to the photos as I did. And by posing in the uniform and in the cabin of a Delta aircraft she did publicly identify the company, presumably without their consent. But even so, if I'd been in Delta's PR department I'd have stuck those photos (though again, probably not the pizza one!) on every advertising billboard I could afford to!

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 11-03-2004 03:41 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that it matters much. Most airline industry people now think that Delta will be but a memory a year from now. DAL is on the edge of liquidation. USAir is also not expected to survive more than a year. All of the big six legacy carriers (AAL, UAL, DAL, NWA, CAL, USA) are in various levels of deep doo doo financially. They will be a hot topic next semester in my AV220 Air Transportation class.

Over half the ASMs (Available Seat Miles) offered for US domestic air travel are under some threat of disappearing during the next couple of years. Congress is concerned enough that they are reviewing the laws which in some cases require surviving air carriers to honor tickets issued by defunct ones. Looks like the US air transport industry is due for another contraction.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-03-2004 06:12 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the problem? If you're bankrupt you can (with the judge's approval) tear up leases on surplus aircraft and gates and rewrite labor contracts. So get lean and offer competitive fares. People aren't flying less, are they? SWA seems to be packing them in.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-03-2004 06:32 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I side with the airline.

IF she was not wearing a "company" uniform, I think it would have been OK. That uniform is part of the company's trade mark and personna and as such implies they condone her actions.

While not as radical, it would be much the same as a pic of the candy girl/guy posting a pic of them screwing on the candy counter. The theatre would be "upset"... as well as the customers that bought food off of that counter. [Eek!]

BTW: I personally do like it... Ummm both ideas. [Wink]

>>> Phil

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-03-2004 07:00 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pics could've been a lot worse. I'd have reprimanded her and that's it. As it is, she'll get a ton more publicity this way.

If you REALLY want to laugh and/or get sick, check out the "Naked Air" link on her site.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-03-2004 07:20 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eh...full nudity tends to be boring. Besides what if Phil turned up on that flight? It's not like you can just run for the exit. [Eek!]

Paul Mayer

- posted 11-03-2004 08:40 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Coot on a full frontal nudity flight? [Eek!]
"We're gonna need bigger sick bags." [puke]

The main issue with the legacy six is pensions. They all have huge pension loads. Repudiating those will be nasty, though it will eventually happen one way or the other, more than likely by a pennies on the dollar settlement order from some bankruptcy judge.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-03-2004 08:49 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Mayer
The Coot on a full frontal nudity flight?
"IF" that were to happen... yous would have something REALLY BIG to talk about! [beer]

quote: Steve Kraus
It's not like you can just run for the exit.

Don't forget your parachute... [Wink]

>>> Phil

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 11-03-2004 09:49 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"IF" that were to happen... yous would have something REALLY BIG to talk about!
Like what, the size of the new Airplane seats? Or the size of the engine? Or or, I know the size of my biceps.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2004 10:12 AM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found the pictures quite harmless. There's nothing obscene about it, just harmless fun. But certainly it was not the most clever thing to put the pics on the web.
As for doing this on company time: How long could it take to snap four or five pictures? Assuming she did the job she was paid for correctly, firing her definitely shows a lack of humour.

Paul Mayer

- posted 11-04-2004 12:05 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course one could argue that those pix weren't taken on company time. It looks to me like the pix were snapped during a stop (any pax in the background in any of those pix?). If so, then the cabin attendents are "off the clock", even if they're "on the property."

Flight and cabin crews only get paid while the aircraft is in the air, even though lots of work has to be done while the airplane is on the ground. Because of such work rules, duty days tend to be quite long in the airline industry--in order to get eight hours of pay one typically puts in a 10 to 14 hour duty day. My flying days at Scenic were right in line with this--about an 11 hour day for eight hours pay (thanks to our short 40 minute turnarounds).

To me those pix are harmless, but still it was not the smartest thing to do, posting on the web like that. DAL management is very very conservative about the company's public image--their reaction to this sort of thing would be very predictable.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-04-2004 02:32 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did notice one thing on her sight she says she was singled out and not some male coworkers who had done the same thing that could be come a discrimination case then

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: