Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Anyone Playing Halo 2? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Anyone Playing Halo 2?
Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2004 03:10 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering if anyone here is playing Halo 2...or if anyone plans on it. I bought the game about 4 hours ago at Wal-Mart, so far it's awesome. Any other Xbox Live Gamers here?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-09-2004 04:39 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently a ton of people are playing it. I have been hearing of lines as long as 250+ deep for this game which went on sale at midnight. It was even on my local news at 10:00pm which is unheard of around here. I do not have the game yet. I'll get around to getting it, but it's not so great that I need it RIGHT NOW. It certainly is no Out Run 2. I expect total orgasm right when I turn it on from the way everyone's been talking about it, and it had better deliver! If it doesn't then I will be pissed. But hype is NEVER wrong, right? I also expect amazing graphics of an unheard-of high quality. It better not just look like an Xbox game!

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 11-09-2004 04:53 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I love a good game, I cannot see the deal here? What is the appeal in staying up all night long playing a video game with people you will never see?

What ever happened to getting together with friends for a barbeque or a poker game? What about going out to a club, or staying home and throwing an orgy?

Things are just too impersonal anymore. I want my orgasms in person dammit!

Ciao

Dave

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-09-2004 04:56 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How come they don't make that for PC?
Does anyone here play Warcraft III? I know, that's old news in the gaming community. But I almost never play on the PC, and when I do, I play that. Or at least I try to. I played Warcaft I and II and was the terror of my computer enemies. But III is simply too difficult for me. I get overrun within 15-20 minutes [Frown]

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2004 09:38 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I agree, I bought the game to play with my friends at my apt up here at college. We all have our Xboxs networked so we get a pretty good game going. I think Halo 2 is a great game, but I can't get it passed the hardcore people who think Halo and Halo 2 are the best games ever. I remember playing Quake 2 on my PC online years ago with faster speed, better graphics, and more people. Funny how people forget about games like that, when Halo is very much alike it. To me, the best premiere for a game, and one completely worth staying up all night for was "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" <--- that was a game.

SPOILERS!!!

Joe - the graphics aren't that much better.....certainly not orgasmic

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-09-2004 01:50 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Halo 2 will eventually be ported to the PC computing platform, but only after some additional work. It should follow along the lines of what the developers did with Halo. You can buy a PC version of Halo. But be warned, it demands a lot of graphics card horsepower to work on higher rez computer screens (along with having a full blown Windows operating system monkeying around with things in the background, unlike the very simplified version of XP running in X-Box consoles).

I would expect a PC version of Halo 2 to have the same overly expensive and ridiculous hardware demands of games like Doom III. With Doom III, the game play is great, but only if you have a high end PC with a $500 PCI-Express graphics card in it (such as the GeForce6800 Ultra). The game is still playable to satisfactory standards using cards like the ATI Radeon 9800, the previous top end champ. Doom III functions about as well as a stroke victim on any older or budget oriented video card.

What's funny is Doom III will have a X-Box version released in the coming months. With that and games like Halo 2 it gives customers some pause. Do you want to spend at least several hundred dollars upgrading a PC to play a game like Doom III or Halo 2? Or would it be better to just spend $150 on an X-Box console? I don't own an X-Box yet, but this extreme financial question is the factor that would have me go in favor of the console.

The PC gaming industry has just gotten way to perversely expensive for it to be worth it at all. Companies like Alienware and Falcon Northwest are selling liquid cooled, 4GHz overclocked machines for over $6000. All that just to play a damned game! Guys are spending that much money on something that doesn't work as an investment at all. Look for this industry to start caving in on itself, especially with the ridiculous pseudo monopoly happening between nVidia and ATI. Those assholes have been dragging their feet for the past couple years while inflating the prices of their video cards. The playing field was a lot more competitive just three or four years ago.

If I'm going to blow $6000 on a specialized computer, I'd rather build something that is going to make some money. I'd rather buy a dual 2.5GHz G5 PowerMac loaded with the Apple Production Suite, the Adobe Creative Suite and Adobe After Effects. Hell, with $6000 being the spending limit, I'd probably still have enough money left over to buy an X-Box and a few video games.

Kyle McEachern
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2004 03:56 PM      Profile for Kyle McEachern         Edit/Delete Post 
At the place I picked it up, there were about 400 people in line by 12:15am. My friend works at a GameStop in Pennsylvania and there were 950 pre-orders for it, and they were estimating about 700 of them were going to show up at midnight. The first people at the store I got it at were there around 6pm, but just south of here (In downtown San Francisco)...the lines were apparently much much worse. And half of the people aren't even really "gamers", just people who have gotten caught up in the hype of 'OH MY GOD I NEED HALO 2 TO BE ABLE TO SAY I HAVE HALO 2 AND BE ONE OF THE COOL KIDS'.

In terms of in-game, the graphics are cool, there are a great many new features that are a lot of fun to play around with, and overall it hasn't been a letdown at all, even with all the press and expectations.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2004 04:11 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Halo 2 is what the x-boxers play when they wish they were playing Grand Theft Auto San Andreas.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-09-2004 04:12 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GameSpy gave Halo2 a great review. PC Magazine gave the game their highest rating, calling it "The Ultimate X-Box Game." They listed lots of great things about the game and only one con: "Addictive game play may lead to antisocial behavior."

If I buy an X-Box, it's going to cost me more than $150. I'll need some little video source switching gadget, complete with optical digital audio inputs. My A/V receiver doesn't have enough to share between my 5-disc DVD changer and Dish Network console. Some of those switch boxes run as much as $100 or more. Then you have the $30 to spend for the Advanced A/V expansion pack to get digital audio output from the X-Box. That's just mandatory. You have to have the positional real-time Dolby Digital 5.1 in game audio that makes Playstation 2 kinda suck ass.

The only other thing making me hesitatate on buying an X-Box is all the time I know I'm going to waste using it.

Grand Theft Auto can go to hell. It might be a great game, but it blatantly glorifies criminal violence happening in reality. I'll have no part of that and will never spend any of my money to endorse it. That whole gangsta culture needs to die off already. Halo and Halo 2 are violent, but not with any concepts based on reality. Pure escapist entertainment.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2004 04:19 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
What's funny is Doom III will have a X-Box version released in the coming months. With that and games like Halo 2 it gives customers some pause. Do you want to spend at least several hundred dollars upgrading a PC to play a game like Doom III or Halo 2? Or would it be better to just spend $150 on an X-Box console? I don't own an X-Box yet, but this extreme financial question is the factor that would have me go in favor of the console.
My 2 Ghz dell bought in 2000 runs Doom 3 just fine. Granted I had to buy a $200 graphics card and upgrade my RAM from 512 to 1 Gig, but that's for future games too.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-09-2004 05:07 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lets not forget that almost all Xbox games support at least 480p, and many of them support widescreen. GTA: San Andreas is the game PS2 owners are playing while wishing they were playing Halo 2.

Actually Bobby, the PS2 can do in-game DTS 4.0 (no center, no subwoofer). Only 2 games that I know of even use it. The PS2 can do widescreen sometimes, and 480p sometimes as well. But overall it is the inferior machine with a lot more games.

I was out and about today, and I stopped at the mall. This was about 2:40pm. There was a giant line coming out of Electronics Boutique going way across the mall. Crazy! I stopped at Target and there was no line and a ton of Halo 2's, so I picked it up there. Lesson learned: People who pre-order upcoming popular games at game stores are morons. I still haven't taken it out of the package as I've just been too busy with Super Monkeyball, which is the best game on the planet. But I do know that Halo supports 480p, 16:9, and Dolby Digital 5.1 in-game, all of which I will take advantage of when I power it up.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-09-2004 05:30 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The real thing that killed any desire for me to own a PS2 was the release of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3. One of my coworkers bought the PS2 version and one of my friends had the X-Box version. The PS2 version lacked so many things featured on the X-Box version that it just seemed stupid. The X-Box version had so many more maps, features, X-Box Live support, DD 5.1 and more. The built in hard disc and network card are the main features dictating the differences between the PS2 and X-Box versions of those games. Overall the game ran a lot faster and looked better on X-Box too, thanks to the much more powerful nVidia GPU chipset.

I think the only things going for PS2 are fanatic brand loyalty from Sony fans, more game titles and an anti-Microsoft bent. Even with all those things noted, there's plenty of great games on the X-Box platform and it seems a whole lot better right out of the box.

The only thing making me nervous about X-Box is the rumors buzzing about X-Box 2. From what I've read, X-Box will use multiple IBM-made CPUs similar to Apple's G5 processor and an ATI-based graphics chipset. It will not be backward compatible with the existing X-Box platform (which is Intel/nVidia based). X-Box2 may not even have a built in hard disc or ethernet either. Sounds pretty damned dumb. Apparently Microsoft is losing a lot of money over each X-Box sold, hoping to make up for it on game sales. But they'll definitely be doing Sony a huge favor if they drop the hard drive and ethernet.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2004 05:58 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've learned a little trick about getting stuff @ Midnight too. Go to Wal-Mart and pre-order it, they won't even be advertising it. I was 4th on the list last night @ 10pm. I walked right up past the line and got my game. The in-game DD is awesome, as well as the 480p....although you think they would have made this hi-def.

The next Xbox is rumored to have all kinds of combinations. I think they are toying with the idea of having one with a HD and one without, but the HD is definately awesome...although the 10gig one is a little much for what goes on there.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-09-2004 06:25 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guarantee that All "XBox2's" will come with ethernet. Microsoft pushes Xbox Live like no tomorrow. There will probably be a package with and without a hard drive, with the latter able to add a HD later (I hope). It really is kind of necessary for Xbox Live.

Well I finally played Halo 2 a bit. Kind of hard due to the fact that the first level is so damned dark. The programmers messed up though and part of the HUD goes off of the left side of the screen. I guess they never heard of "action safe" or "title safe" areas. Oh well. The music is awesome, but I am not looking forward to the Breaking Benjamin, Incubus, and Hoobastank tracks that are supposedly in the game. The Dolby Digital 5.1 is very good indeed. The control is a bit tough and I don't like the darkness nor do I like invisible enemies. I haven't gone on Live yet, but I probably will soon.

They couldn't make this game in HD because the Xbox couldn't run a game like this in that resolution. The game was originally going to support 720p and 1080i, but it just didn't run smoothly enough. In order to get it to run smoothly, they'd have had to sacrifice quite a lot of detail.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-09-2004 06:58 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd take an original "Old Chicago" over an X-Box any day!

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: