Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARINES

Author Topic: HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARINES
Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2004 06:25 AM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
**Please don't lessen this by turning it into a political discussion and getting it locked**
That being said....
HAPPY 229th BIRTHDAY MAY YOU HAVE MANY MANY MORE!! Make sure to thank any members of the military that you know for the job they did/do today.

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 11-10-2004 06:51 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Marine Corps B-day to all Marines, including my dad and 7 of my uncles. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 11-10-2004 01:06 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, I appreciate the well wishes. Semper Fi!

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-10-2004 02:05 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And remember, Bob is one of the original team!

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2004 02:27 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the name of the Philadelphia tavern in which the Marine Corps was formed back in 1775? I know it is the duty of every Marine to visit this site and pay homage to the memory of those Marines that served before him.

With that being said, I find it remarkable how the Marines have redeveloped themselves as a modern-day fighting force given their origins. Today the fighting philosophy is based upon the concept that the Marines take the position, then turn it over to the Army to hold the position. Prior to World War II (with perhaps the exception of routing the Barbary Pirates in 1804, and the Battle of Belleau Wood in 1917), I've always found the Marines in a supporting role - kind of a reverse in which the Army takes a position then turns it over to the Marines to guard. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I base this conclusion on their holding key coastal forts captured from the Confederacy during the Civil War, and limited use of the Corps during the Mexican War and War of 1812.

Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2004 02:39 PM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Marine Corps is the only branch the the President can conrol without Congress. He can send them anywhere any time..no the money that it costs for them to stay there..that is still in the hands of Congress. They were created, at first, to serve the President of the United States directly, thats why Marines guard the White House and saulute the Presedent as he exits Air Force One.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-10-2004 06:02 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is from the book, "Marine Corps Book Of Lists,"
Category: "...Eight Hoary Old Marine Corps Legends That Are
Not True."
quote:
1. The first Marine recruiting station
was established in Tun Tavern, in Philadelphia,
the proprietor of which was so adept at securing
recruits, by liberally plying them with drink,
that he was made a captain in the Corps. Alas for
"romance," the story is untrue. It probably got
its start from the fact that Samuel Nicholas,
effectively the first Marine Commandant, actually
did own a tavern in Philadelphia, the Conestoga
Wagon, which apparently served as his
headquarters for a time. However the owner of the
Tun Tavern did become a Marine officer, about a
year after the creation of the Corps, which
probably gave rise to the legend.

November 10 is sort of my father's second birthday. He served in the 'Corps for 23 years, retiring as a Chief Warrant Officer. Of course, he's still doing a lot to promote the Marine Corps in his non-fiction military books ("Marine Sniper," "Marshalling The Faithful," "Silent Warrior"). His fourth book dealing with Vietnam, "Goodnight Saigon" will hit bookstore shelves early in 2005. I think it's already available for pre-order from Amazon.com.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-11-2004 03:43 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AuOOOORAH!!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: