Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Project Greenlight.

Author Topic: Project Greenlight.
Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 11-10-2004 12:23 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contest home page

Has anyone here entered this contest? I was thinking about writing a script to enter in next seasons contest since this one is over. The script I'm thinking of writing would be based on actual events that happened to my mom and her sisters growing up in what seems to be a haunted house. I'm sure there has to be someone here who has tried this, yall seem like pretty creative people.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2004 02:54 PM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two screenplays..they are in constant revision, but they are no where near on a par with the winners. Those guys have raw talent.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 11-10-2004 02:59 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had some interest in it last year when they were airing the show for The Battle Of Shaker Heights Film. Which I also went to see on opening weekend. It was a packed house in the middle of day. I had no idea it would sell this well, so my friends I showed up too late and couldn't get good seats. We ended up sitting in the second row. The most uncomfortable movie viewing experience since the time I went to see Titanic on its opening day.

I went to their site and realized it was too late to enter into anything. But I did sign up for their newsletter and I never had interest again. It would have taken me forever to create the script that I would have wanted to submit. I barely had the outline done. Plus I was still planning the story board for it.

The idea of the screenplay was just thought up one night while cruising with my best friend. It was very exciting how we kept finishing each other sentences and having the same general idea of how the movie would go. But now that I think about it, it had too many twists and would probably end up confusing everyone. The approach that I had for writing it was that I would start out like how George Lucas had done with American Graffiti. He would go through vinyl albums while listening to them and writing the script that way. Putting the songs into the script making it the soundtrack. Hence creating a musical montage.

Shane Hoffmann
Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2004 03:49 PM      Profile for Shane Hoffmann   Email Shane Hoffmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I lost interest in the show after those two guys won in season 2 (for directing). They were huge tools and constantly whined about the writer, when she probably had more talent than either of them. I just think that the other finalists for the director contest had much more talent.

I don't get HBO, so I only saw season 2 on dvd and haven't seen the other seasons. Seeing the day to day happenings of an extremely low budget movie really discouraged me from wanting to be a part of the studio system. Although it would be a good opportunity, I think I would rather go the independent route so I could have complete control.

Whatever, just my two cents.

Oh yeah... The Battle of Shaker Heights sucked.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-10-2004 04:00 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Shane.

In the begining, I supported that group/concept but not any longer.

It doesn't seem very fair to me.

>>> Phil

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2004 12:25 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this thread was going to be about building a gizmo like ambulances have which turns traffic lights green when they approach them.

Moving on...

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 11-11-2004 04:39 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THe new season will be on Bravo instead of HBO.... a bigger audience target is the reason...

this year the movie will actually be a horror film.... only time will tell...

I participated in both the first two seasons.... in season one I submitted a screenplay that was decently recieved, but did not move on to the second round..

in the second season i submitted a three minute directorial clip... once again well recieved but did not make the second round....

I opted out of the third season as I am retooling the script that I submitted in the first season and will put it in to production in august of 2005, with a finish date sometime in june of 2006, and a hopeful festival release in 2007... and so on....

The project greenlight is a good idea.. but you have ben affleck making decisions on which movie to make... so that there is a major strike against it...

if you are ever interested in making a movie... just learn about scriptwriting, write one... put a proposal together that involves a five minute presentation and treatment for investors... then off you go!

My particular film was first originally slated to be finished two years ago, however the chief financier died before production began, so there went the funding.

Crushed I just gave up. NEVER DO THAT. Now I have retooled the project and am rewriting it with a neat little twist both at the beginning of the film and one right up at the end just for fun.

The project now will be much much cheaper as a result of the retooling... a plus for investors... and will run only about $200 grand to finish... as opposed to the original budget of $450 grand. I could cut it even more by shooting digitally... NOOOOOOO..

If you are pressed for funds... digital can be a plus. There is hardware out there that you can shoot digitally and make a decent product... and most will forgive you, considering the low budget... well brad wont.... but he's like.. crazy with power and stuff.... [evil]

I would rather use film anyway.. and there are options to help make it work better... find someone that will LEND you the camera and lenses is always a plus....

So while the project greenlight is an interesting concept... as long as ben affleck is making decisions... just take surviving christmas as a qualifier there...

ciao

dave

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-11-2004 01:34 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak is a co-sponsor of "Project Greenlight" activities:

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/students/beat/apr2003/nyu.shtml

quote:
After getting the finalist prize money of $5000 and the $1000 worth of 35mm film stock donated by Kodak, each finalist has only three weeks left to shoot the film. Jordan shot for two nights at the Showcase theater on the corner of La Brea and Melrose in Los Angeles. His friend, Andrew Huebscher, was the DP.

In January, Coca-Cola along with co-sponsor Project Greenlight, flew the 10 finalists out to the Sundance Film Festival where their films were screened at a private party. "I was very impressed with their films and knew that the competition was going to be tough," said Jordan.

The contest ended in March when the winner was announced and Jordan was presented with a $10,000 award during a ceremony at the Showest convention in Las Vegas. "Showest was an amazing experience," said Jordan. "Coca Cola handled all of my accommodations and gave me a backstage pass to talk to and mingle with actors, directors, and producers who I admire and respect."

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/students/filmtech/shakerheights.shtml

quote:
Ackerman had just wrapped principal photography for Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star when his agent called to discuss The Battle of Shaker Heights, the second film produced under the auspices of Project Greenlight. LivePlanet-the company created by Ben Affleck, Sean Bailey, Matt Damon, and Chris Moore-launched the Project Greenlight contest as a platform for nurturing new talent. The contest begins with an online submission and review process, and culminates in the naming of winners in screenwriting and directing competitions. The winners then have the opportunity to make the winning screenplay into a feature film with a $1 million production budget. The movie is produced and released by Miramax and LivePlanet. The behind-the-scenes making of the movie is shot and airs on HBO as a multi-part series.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: