Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Incredibles T-Shirt at Last

Author Topic: Incredibles T-Shirt at Last
Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2004 12:23 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I signed up on the projectionist site at pixar for that contest, and they sent me a shirt and letter thanking me. I was impressed, what I wasn't though is happy because when I got it, it was opened and the letter was missing. The package was addressed to my theatre ATTN: Dean Kollet....it was opened by mgrs. in the office and they showed it to everyone and probably thought about taking it. 3 days after it came (last night) I overheard them and they finally told me it was in the office, so I went in to get it. T-shirt was in there but no letter. My mgr. told me that they lost the letter passing it around. Well, I got pissed and made them find it. I wouldn't be surprised if there was something else in there. I thought it was illegal to open others' mail....but they probably have some gay rule allowing them to. They seemed stunned that a projecionist actually got something, because they FINALLY didn't get to keep something cool..... [evil]

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2004 12:41 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The easiest and most rewarding way to get a manager fired is to call the promotions department of the film studio whenever they feel they can help themselves to banners, etc. before they even get displayed. [Big Grin]

The Home Office likes to hear about that, too.

=TMP=

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-14-2004 12:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're assholes! It is also illegal (read Federal Offense) to open up mail adressed to someone else. People that do this are actually considered criminal by the US Post Office.

Da... thats why large companies have mail people to deliver incomming and inter office mail to peoples own mail boxes. It could have just as easily been critical health information you may have needed instead of a t-shirt. My old employer, GTS, did this to me a number of times. In my case it was generally not important mail but it also could have been a huge sale or something else important for them.

I've always gotten very little to no mail at my places of work but when I do it has generally been something of importance.

Next time an employer or anyone else does this to me I will definately file a complaint with the local postmaster and let the employer take the consequences from there. It won't be fun for them.

Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-14-2004 02:53 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what the law is regarding mail sent to a business. Maybe mail going to a business is construed as being to the business unless marked personal. Would you expect a former employer to forward (or return to sender) mail sent to you there?

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2004 03:29 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that's where I don't know the laws.....however them keeping it in the office and passing it along to everyone and not telling me if pretty messed up. I also found out that there was supposed to be something else in the package.....

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-14-2004 11:57 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dean: There is nothing else in the package except the shirt and the letter. (I got mine Saturday.)

Of course it's possible that some multi-mega-screen multiplex folks got more goodies than us poor little single-screeners did, but at least that's all that was in MY package.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-15-2004 08:14 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Kraus
I don't know what the law is regarding mail sent to a business.
Well, I do somewhat as I did talk to the local postmaster about it back when it happened to me the second time. If your name is on it but is addressed to your companys address then its still unlawful for someone else to open it. Thats when the postmaster went on to tell me why companies have employee mail boxes and mail delivery personel and such....

Mark

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2004 05:22 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The back of mine read:

"I cared enough to show it in 2:39 SCOPE"

Um, it's awful hard for me to show an image 19.5 times wider than it is tall... [Roll Eyes]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-15-2004 07:43 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really? It has a colon instead of a decimal?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-15-2004 07:46 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, whoever you talked to was apparently wrong.

(From an Ask a Lawyer column)

quote:

My employer implemented a procedure of opening all mail received before distributing it to the individual. Is this legal, or is this allowed if the letter is addressed to the employer (or employer's address)? Thanks.

Ann Kiernan replies:

Yes, an employer can open the mail addressed to the business or its employees, for any legitimate business reason. The postal regulations require that all mail addressed to a government or non-government organization or to an individual by name or title at the address of the organization is delivered to the organization. If any disagreement arises as to where any such mail should be delivered, it must be delivered under the order of the organization's president or equivalent official. (Domestic Mail Manual 55, Sec. D042.4.1)

In other words, once the Postal Service carrier delivers the mail to a business, it's up to the business to decide how to distribute it internally. But, an employer can't obstruct delivery of employee mail, or destroy it, or open it with the intent of prying. Those are all federal crimes! (18 U.S. Code Secs. 1701-1703)

Did your postmaster quote chapter & verse of the regs?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-15-2004 08:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But, an employer can't obstruct delivery of employee mail
This was the exact problem.... I never got my mail..... I only happened to find it hanging on the wall with the rest of the christmas cards. Had the cards been from vendors I wouldn't have given a hoot but they were from personal friends. I can only tell you what the postmaster told me. No he didn't recite chapters and such of regulations. But apparently you uncovered the regs he was talking about.

As I mentioned it was just Christmas cards... not really a big deal but it also could have been something else... Also, were there any personal letters, or family pictures included with those cards as many people frequently do........ That unfortunately I'll never know.....
Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-15-2004 09:00 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe: Yup, it's a colon.

Well actually it's just a MISPLACED colon. Instead of 2.39:1, they just put 2:39.

Probably a typo at the t-shirt factory.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2004 02:54 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'd be surprised if the t-shirt people knew enough to make the same typo that many film people make (on cans, notes in cans, etc.). someone in marketing who should have known better didn't.

carl

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2004 10:03 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It pulls double duty by making you look like a nerd and a dumbass at the same time. But at least the logo wasn't upside down. [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: