Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Dayton Allen, cartoon voice man, dies at 85

Author Topic: Dayton Allen, cartoon voice man, dies at 85
Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-19-2004 08:24 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to his Terrytoon's work, I remember him as a goofy doctor on The Munsters.

From last Tuesday: Dayton Allen
quote:
The Associated Press
Nov 16, 2004 : 6:34 pm ET

FLAT ROCK, N.C. -- Dayton Allen, a comedian and actor best known for his work as the voice of the cartoon character Deputy Dawg and the grumpy mayor Phineas T. Bluster on "The Howdy Doody Show," has died. He was 85.

Allen, who also was a regular on "The Steve Allen Show," died Nov. 11 at Pardee Memorial Hospital in Hendersonville after suffering a massive stroke, said his brother, Bradley Bolke of Dobbs Ferry, N.Y.

His most notable voice work came from his long-time association with the cartoon studio Terrytoons. He provided most of the voices for "The Deputy Dawg Show," a syndicated cartoon series that debuted in 1960. He was also the voice of the cartoon magpies Heckle and Jeckle, and many other characters.

Earlier, he spent four years on the original "Howdy Doody Show" with Buffalo Bob Smith, voicing such puppet characters as Phineas T. Bluster and Flub-a-Dub as well as such on-camera characters as Pierre the Chef.

After Howdy Doody, Allen was featured on the first interactive children's show, "Winky Dink and You," playing host Jack Barry's goofy assistant, Mr. Bumble.

He then joined the stable of comics on "The Steve Allen Show," often appearing as a bogus expert or in the comic "Man on the Street" interviews. His frequent comment, "Why-y-y-y-y not??", became a popular catch phrase.

Born Dayton Allen Bolke, he broke into the radio business with a disc jockey/comedy show on New York station WINS, then segued into radio acting in New York City, his brother said.

Allen then became a TV pioneer in 1948 with a children's show broadcast over the Dumont Network called "The Adventures of Oky Doky," providing the voice for the title character, a puppet.

Allen and his wife, Elvi, moved to Flat Rock earlier this year, his brother said. Besides his wife and brother, he is survived by a stepdaughter and a stepson.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2004 09:25 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that on Jerry Beck's site a few days ago. Sad news indeed. [Frown]

I enjoyed his marvelously funny voices. I liked his 'sheriff' voice from Deputy Dawg.

I never knew that he was related to Bradley Bolke since I'm familiar with Bradley's work in Paramount cartoons while Dayton primarily worked in Terrytoons.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-19-2004 03:04 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Layton
I'm familiar with Bradley's work in Paramount cartoons
Oh, wow, Ken, good catch. I didn't even know that. Paramount and Terry's were the last two New York cartoon studios.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-19-2004 06:04 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Ampro model 20 & 30 16mm projectors always reminded me of Flub-a-Dub. He was my favorite character on the "Howdy Doody Show".

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2004 06:33 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bradley Bolke did lots of voice work for Paramount starting with "The New Casper Cartoon Show" (along with the late Norma McMillan). He then got to voice some of the mid 1960's Paramount theatrical cartoons.

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 11-21-2004 01:19 AM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He truly was a magnificent tallent and it was a pleasure to meet him in person.
I miss him already [thumbsdown] [Frown] !!!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-21-2004 01:19 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erick, do tell...

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2004 04:35 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had no idea that he had retired here in Flat Rock, NC.

Flat Rock is about 20 miles from me down the highway.

I loved Deputy Dog. "Dag Nabbit, Muskie!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: