Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » DVD duplication costs

Author Topic: DVD duplication costs
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-23-2004 10:12 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering how much it costs to have a DVD pressed in quantities of perhaps several thousand, with a regular case & inserted full color cover. I'm just curious because a local Chicago area custom furniture chain, Walter E. Smithe is giving away disks with a couple of short puppet animations that were holiday favorites on kids tv shows years ago. (They actually look like they date from the 1950's. Not sure if they were just a Chicago thing: One about elves called Hardrock, Coco & Joe and a second one on called Suzy Snowflake. Perhaps they are PD now.)

Just wondering how much this is costing them.

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2004 10:34 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] I remember watching Suzy Snowflake as one of the "cartoons" on the Bozo The Clown show as a kid!

Here... Comes... Su-zy Snow-flake! Look at her tum-bling dooooown!
"Come out everyone and play with me, I haven't long to stay..." [Razz]

I remember it was black & white and very crude looking.

=TMP=

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2004 11:18 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought these animations on VHS from the Chicago TV/Radio museum a few years ago, and it would be a terrific DVD. That and "Pee Wee's Christmas" are two of the best Christmas programs EVER! (The animations are also available on a Christmas compilation DVD from Toontracker.com)

Now, if I could just track down that commercial that went "It's one day closer to Christmas, so do your mailing now"

Those are 2 cartoons from the legendary BOZO SHOW from WGN in Chicago. Thomas described Suzy Snowflake pretty well.

Hardrock, Coco and Joe was officially called THREE LITTLE ELVES. This is a great example of '50's puppet animation (although with extremely limited movement". Best part is the delayed appearance of Joe later in the piece.

Time to play the "Grand Prize Game" and remember the words:

"Ole olady olady I oh
That's Hardrock, and Coco, and Joe

Now listen my children and you shall hear
A story fantastic, a story so queer
It's all about Santa and his helpers three
There's Hardrock, and Coco, and Joe

Now Hardrock's the driver up there by his sleigh
Coco reads maps and he shows him the way
Though old Santa really has no need for Joe
But takes him cause he loves him so

And Santa is busy with his heavy pack
He trusts his drivers and never looks back
Ole olady olady I oh
He's Hardrock, he's Coco, he's Joe

Ol' Santa will come in and set down his pack
And Hardrock will hold the reindeer till Santa comes back
If you hear a giggle as he turns to go
It's Coco, a snowball, and..........JOE!...

...And Santa is busy with his heavy pack
He trusts his drivers and never looks back
Ole olady olady I oh
I'm Hardrock, I'm Coco, I'm Joe
Ole olady olady I oh..."

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-23-2004 11:35 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last year we investigated issuing some of our archive titles on DVD for sale. Having got three or four quotes the cost ended up being around UK£1,100 (ish) for the glass master, then £0.22 per unit with a minimum run of 500. After labels, cases and sleeves had all been factored into account the cost of going down the glass master and pressing route ended up in the ballpark of £3 per unit based on a run of 500, tapering down to around £0.30 per unit for a run of 5,000 (all figures for single layer). 1,200 units was the rough point at which pressing from a glass master became more economic than using a duplication company which burnt individual DVD-Rs on banks of high-speed recorders.

In the event we abandoned the project because of copyright clearance problems with the material we were hoping to release, but the bottom line is that you do need to be shifting a substantial number of copies for the sums to add up for a factory-pressed DVD.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-23-2004 11:46 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to guess that those of you who are familiar with these but are not from Chicago know them from watching WGN-TV on cable. Maybe it was something Channel 9 had commissioned back in the fifties.

Anyway, here, go nuts:
Hardrock, Coco & Joe via Windows Media

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2004 01:28 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disc Makers does replication pretty cheaply, at $1.79 per disc for 1000 discs and cheaper for more quantities.

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2004 06:01 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
Washington DC area "kids of the 50's" remember this film, too - don't know that I can add much, but there are copies available here and there on the Web, and one site had some attribution: recorded by the Les Tucker Singers, Words & Music by Stuart Hamblen.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-23-2004 07:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You should check out Film-Tech DVD Duplication Services which our very own Joe Redifer personally runs. Not only will Joe dupe anything regardless of copyright, each disc is burned one at a time in his Mac and hand-mounted into the case. Costs are only $0.50/disc. Also, Joe will guarantee you delivery before he dies, or he will personally refund your money.

(Pre-paid orders of 10,000+ only. Film-Tech not responsible for incomplete orders in the untimely event of Joe's death.)

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-23-2004 07:41 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have nothing I wished duplicated; just wondering what this promotion is costing the furniture chain.

Given Leo's UK pricing would you think it safe to guess that with packaging it's costing them somewhere between US$0.30-0.50 per unit? I guess that's not so bad; they're probably spending far more than that on the commercials touting the free disks.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-23-2004 07:46 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
For all you "Hardrock and Coco and Joe" and cartoon fans out there: Click Joe

Don't get your hopes up! The link is NOT to nude pics of HHOT Redifer.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-24-2004 01:44 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-24-2004 01:51 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve: assuming a run of several thousand that pricing sounds about right. The other complication I forgot to mention is that if you're having a glass master made you can't just deliver a burnt consumer DVD +/- R to the replication company. You either have to deliver the content on DLT or a specially designed authoring disc, which a standard DVD writer won't burn. Delivering the content on an external USB or IEEE1394 hard drive is another option which some companies will accept (at extra cost).

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2004 06:57 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, many replication facilities in the US will accept a general DVD-R for DVD-5 discs (or 2 for DVD-10s).

It's usually only for a DVD-9 (or, if you have a large amount of data to put on one disc and an exceptionally fat wallet, a DVD-14 or -18) that DLTs are required.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-26-2004 08:17 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting - when I checked this out some months ago none of the replication companies I contacted would accept a consumer-burnt DVD - or +R.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: