Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Projection (MY LIFE)

Author Topic: Projection (MY LIFE)
Tom Simcoe
Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2004 04:36 PM      Profile for Tom Simcoe   Email Tom Simcoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it un-normal to feel like your job is all that makes you happy, or all that you have to fall back on? Is it bad that most of my friends are co-workers? Is it obsessive to go hang out with people at your work even when you're not working? All questions I ask myself because, BAM I do all of them. Just wondering if it feels that way to anyone else... I mean I love my job as a projectionist, it's a really fun job. It's also the first and only job I've had but I love it....

Wish someone else would feel the same, it would kinda make me feel better if I knew that this wasn't so un-normal... [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-29-2004 09:04 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Un-normal" in the sense of odd, unusual, or uncommon? No probably not at all for a lot of people. So take some comfort in knowing there are millions of others like you.

That is not to say that it's an ideal situation. You haven't said how old you are, where you are in life and what goals or plans you have so it would be difficult to give any concrete suggestions except the usual ones about getting out and trying different activities, join groups with common interests, take a class or two etc. There's nothing wrong with having lots of friends through work; it is one common bond. See if you can find other people with which you have other interests in common. Even if it's about movies...maybe there is a movie viewing and discussion group that meets regularly. You can even try dragging one of your theatre friends along too.

The one specific recommendation is that you stop hanging around at work while not on duty. Chatting briefly while going in or out while there to watch a movie on your own time is fine but to really spend lots of your off time there isn't good for you, for the operation of the theatre, or with how you are perceived by those there.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2004 10:43 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

been there, done that. The movie theater biz was my first job ever and the word 'addictive' comes to mind when thinking about it. I have 3 VERY close friends whom I met at the theater and after 8 years, we still hang out every friday night and go see movies.
However, I hope that if you have those strong feelings about you co-workers/job/etc, that your theatre doesn't close. Trust me on this one, but if it does, you'll feel like someone seriously has died (well at least in my situation)and then the feeling of 'what am i going to do now that my home away from home is gone'? But we all move on
SOOO, no, it's not unnormal to feel those feelings, especially if it's your first job and your young.
And sooner or later you'll start dreaming at night about being at someone elses theater and wanting to know what kind of projectors they have but they wont tell you. Now thats when you need to start getting worried [Smile]

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2004 10:50 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
No, you're not weird - but you should think about pursuing outside interests as the previous post suggested. Besides being "good for the soul," getting involved in activities is the very best way to meet girls - far better than bars or organized "dating" ripoffs - by the time you decide somneone would be a good person to ask out, you're already friends!

Second, if Tom is always here doing things because he likes it, Tom can be ASKED to do extra things because he likes it (no, he doesn't need any pay) and feelings - believe it or not - can be upset if you decide to deny any extra requests or to stop once you have agreed to a little.

Emma Tomiak
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2004 03:32 AM      Profile for Emma Tomiak   Author's Homepage   Email Emma Tomiak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in a similar situation. My theatre is my home away from home! I feel so comfortable there, it doesn't feel like work, it's fun!

Seriously though, I love booth. I call it "my cave" to others at the theatre, and " my booth" to the other booth managers. [Razz] I recently could've taken a job in booth at a new theatre opening nearby for quite a nice pay increase, but I didn't, because I wuv my theatre. [Big Grin]

I don't think it's any big deal that I love my job so much. I take pride in what I do, and work is like my vacation from school. I'm a full time Biology student at UTA, and am involved in Residence Life and such. I do volunteer activity and am in a long term relationship. So I actaully do have a life outside of booth. That's why I think it's OK for me to be so involved and dedicated to projection.

Do what the others said: get involved in school, or clubs, or volunteer work. If you spend less time at work, you'll enjoy it more when you actually go in!

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2004 05:13 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
most of my friends are people who work at theaters or people i see frequently (in the audience) when going to films. it's very rare that i'll "hang out" with someone outside of film. film is my work, my play, my hobby. it's not the only thing i'm interested in, but the bulk of my time is given to it. i'm largely ok with that.

carl

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2004 06:35 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not working in a theatre.

My job is worth going to every day. The people I work with are fun and we laugh alot. Actually look forward to getting to work every day.

Down side?

Visiting the projects at night.
Lifting very heavy furniture into tiny mobile homes.
Rear-screen projection TV's up 35 steps, etc.

I'd give anything to make the kind of money that I make in this job and be able to do it at a theatre. The theatre would win hands-down!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-30-2004 11:08 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rear projection TV's in the projects & mobile homes. The priorities some people have! [Eek!]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-01-2004 05:18 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love these people who build actual movie theatres/drive in's in/at their home. Like the picts that are in the Picture Review on the front page. And they really go out all the way to bring that "motion picture" going experience in their home-built auditoriums. What an achievement they have accomplish.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 07:31 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

You would not believe the set-ups that I see...

Some of our customers have nicer stuff than I do... However, mine is paid for...

And now, back to the topic...

When I lived in Nashville, TN, My boss had a 16mm theatre in his home... Very elegant with lots of charector. The projector was an Eiki EX-2000A with 5000' reel capacity. We watched alot of features on his beautiful 16' wide screen... electric, of course.

Tom Simcoe
Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2004 03:46 AM      Profile for Tom Simcoe   Email Tom Simcoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

It may seem like an un-common thing to go into work and hang out but actually at our small theatre, it's not that much of an un-common thing, lots of people who work there do it, we're like an extended family. I understand that may be hard to understand if you work in a huge theatre that is extremely professional, but I dont know your sircumstances (also dont know if I spelled that correctly).... but thanx for the advice

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: