Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Interview @ Drive-In, I GOT THE JOB!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Interview @ Drive-In, I GOT THE JOB!!!
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2004 11:13 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, this is going to be my girst official interview in a while. I know what I am wearing, but as far as the job goes, any advice? He asked me on the phone if I would have any trouble lifting film and if I had experience building and tearing down film and I answered yes and that I'd have no problem lifting and moving film as I have done it many times before.

I have seen the equipment they use to project and they have what I used at Carmike. Speco LP270's, Century SA Projectors(No need to learn a new thread pattern), and the only difference is the Strong Lamphouses.

I heard they are also looking for an assistant manager, so any tips on trying to grab that position would help. I am a little nervous as most people are before interviews.

Any ideas on questions I should ask him? Aside from the obvious, hours and pay questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Richard

|  IP: Logged

Barry Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2004 11:24 PM      Profile for Barry Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How did this position become vacant is always a good one I used. Based on how they answer and what their answer is it can tell you a lot about what to expect.

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2004 12:34 AM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, PizzaBoy, first of all, good luck to you in this endeavor! I would say to emphasize your familiarity with the equipment they use...and tie that in with your attention to detail and service to the customer...and use your food-service experience to reinforce your commitment to run the concessions in a manner that draws patrons to it, that causes the customers to remember that your theatre offers quality and memorable products at the snack bar (that's if you go for the "assistant manager's" position). [Wink]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2004 01:16 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wear that xenon bulb-changing outfit with the face shield, gloves, & jacket to the interview.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2004 08:45 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a straightjacket you can borrow. [Smile]

=TMP=

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 11-30-2004 09:17 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn Richard, now youre asking us for tips? I'm sorry but youre getting stiffed once again. Just kidding, good luck buddy. [thumbsup]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-30-2004 09:58 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell them you're an avid reader of F-T, especially the Sex in the Theatre threads, and armed with your night vision video camera you will open up new revenue streams for them.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2004 01:11 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
talk yourself up, ask questions, and don't allow for any periods of silence. Also, wear your lucky thong....I got most of my jobs that way

Kyle McEachern
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2004 01:34 PM      Profile for Kyle McEachern         Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Greco
Aside from the obvious, hours and pay questions.
Be sure you don't jump on that "pay" question too early or too eagerly. It's way more important that you make sure they understand that you're there for the film, not necessarily the paycheck. Talk about how much you like film, working with film, working with the projectors, dealing with customer issues in a professional manner that causes them to leave the theatre with a smile even if they had a complaint during their stay, things of that nature - asking "so what will I be getting paid?" can be a big turn-off in an interview...try to go as long as you can without asking that question, and if the interviewer mentions it then fine, otherwise get to the end of the interview and do a "Oh, yeah, almost forgot. Just out of curiosity, what's the pay rate?"

Make sure to smile a lot, take a lot of interest in questions, don't just give one-word answers, talk up your experience, think of a good story you can tell from a past theatre where you did something you think stands out as an example of you as a good worker/good projectionist, as a way of showing that you're more than just someone who thinks movies are cool and likes popcorn.

If you want to reference the pizza delivery job, then perhaps mention it as "something that had to be done to pay the bills while you tried to find another position within the film industry, since that's where your interest truly lies"...back again to the concept of convincing them that you're not doing it for the paycheck, but because you really want to be there, working there, working with film, working with customers, etc.

Just my $0.02.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2004 10:05 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the tips so far. I figure that I'll trim my goatee nice and short. I am wearing a pair of comfortable fitting cargo khakis, a blue button-up short sleeve shirt, and a pair of black boots.

I can actually clean up nice if I want to. Kyle's tips are really going to help. I'd appreciate some more before I leave at 1:15pm tomorrow. I figure I'll get to the theatre about 15 mins before my appointment. Should I act psyched? I'd think I should be controlled, looking him in the eye and answering the questions with as little "UH's" as possible.

I'll check this forum again in the morning.

Thanks
Richard

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-30-2004 10:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kyle McEachern
"Oh, yeah, almost forgot. Just out of curiosity, what's the pay rate?"
That's code for "screw me any way you want to with the pay...I'll work for peanuts just because I am so desperate to have this job".

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-01-2004 01:35 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most job applications have a spot for you to fill in "Wages expected." Don't put "minimum" in there, whatever you do. Put something that's reasonable, but shows you value your time.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-01-2004 02:44 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People actually fill in the "expected salary" box? Why? Does it serve any purpose other than giving the employer a reason to reject the applicant?

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-01-2004 08:13 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In salary negotiations, he who mentions money first loses. If an application form asks for a dollar figure, just put "to be discussed" or "scale." In Richard's case he already has the interview, so no problem. But a "wrong" answer to this kind of question usually results in no invitation to interview.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2004 02:12 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After the interview is over, and if you like the idea of working there, ask for the job!

"I appreciate your taking the time to talk with me. I really like this theatre and the way you run it. May I please have the job?"

Most employers always say something like, "We always take time to consider our applicants, we'll get back to you." Don't settle for that, ask for the job. The worst they can say is, "no" and most employers will be impress by your initiative in asking for the job. Also, it never counts against an employee to ask for the job. If I were vacillating between two candidates, the one the asked for the job might be seen as more assertive or enthusiastic.

Since I wrote this after your interview, you can accomplish all the above with a follow-up phone call.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: