Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The Bob Marr Special.... New York hotel offers $10,000 martini (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Bob Marr Special.... New York hotel offers $10,000 martini
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-02-2004 08:00 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just like it says........

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/12/01/expensive.martini.reut/index.html

New York hotel offers $10,000 martini
Wednesday, December 1, 2004 Posted: 6:18 PM EST (2318 GMT)

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Drinkers might want to keep a clear head when ordering a martini at New York's historic Algonquin Hotel or they might pay $10,000 for that cold sip.

The landmark hotel, where famed wit Dorothy Parker and fellow literary lights at the Round Table imbibed, offers a $10,000 martini, complete with a loose diamond at the bottom.

No one has ordered one yet, in the martini's first week on the menu, but the hotel hopes some romantic soul will buy one any day now.

"We haven't had any buyers yet, but a lot of people are talking about it," said Anthony Melchiorri, the hotel's general manager, on Wednesday.

The drink is designed to fit with tradition at the Algonquin, where Round Table members including Parker, writer Robert Benchley, playwright George S. Kaufman and "The New Yorker" magazine founder Harold Ross gathered regularly.

Today, Parker's ode to the martini adorns hotel napkins: "I love a martini -- but two at the most. Three I'm under the table; Four, I'm under the host."

Parker's response to the $10,000 martini might be mixed, the manager conceded.

"I think she would like the idea so long as she'd get to drink it," he said. "I don't think she'd care about the diamond, but she'd care about the martini."

Fear not, the manager added, no one can really order the martini by mistake.

The tipple requires 72 hours' notice, and buyers meet with a jeweler to select a gem and with hotel staff to ensure the cocktail is delivered to the right table.

[ 12-02-2004, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: Joe Redifer ]

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-02-2004 10:42 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make mine a double. [beer]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 11:42 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just sick. [puke]
No wonder people call us wastefull and try to constantly blow us up... [uhoh]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-02-2004 11:58 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, can you guess what's wrong with this thread?

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 12-02-2004 12:24 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know Mark spelled my name wrong. I forgive him.

I have had many "martini's" at the Algonquin Hotel, and was once a favorite haunt while I was courting my wife back in the 20th Century.

I still prefer onions in my Beefeater Gin, diamonds can break your teeth. [Wink]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-02-2004 06:03 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, you knows WAY too much about likker!
[Wink]

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 06:28 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just another marshmallow imposter [Smile]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-02-2004 06:40 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Bob, as you know, I'm A diamond... Ummmm, in the "rough".

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 07:48 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, if my mind was still spinning over a ten-grand maartini, on the rocks in more ways than one, I'd probably inadvertently write a teaser title with a misspelled name too! [Smile]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-02-2004 08:15 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob after your finish with your ten-grand Maartini. Go over to Serendipity and have one of their thousand dollar ice cream sundaes too finish the night. [beer]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-02-2004 11:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I guess I have to fix it since Mark is incapable.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 12-03-2004 08:40 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, don'tcha just love New York. [Smile]

Now with Serendipity on East 60th Street and the Algonquin Hotel on West 44th Street, I would recommend that we meet someplace in Tin Pan Alley and drink a toast to every film-tech member.

As they say in Da Bronx, Whadayatink... [Smile]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-03-2004 09:19 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, That sound like a deal. [beer]

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2004 08:12 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They did a piece on this on the local TV news. No takers so far. What a surprise!

But I should take that back. After all, it is New York. [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-04-2004 01:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Mark, can you guess what's wrong with this thread?
No Joe, its just that you were here and I wasn't......
You're right a teaser title and Bob Mars name....

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: