Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Atari 2600 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Atari 2600
Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2004 01:27 PM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen the new retro TV games available at toy stores or Wal Mart? They hook up to the A/V inputs on your TV set. It's a replica of an Atari 2600 joystick with several Atari games loaded in the firmware. I've got 3 of them, with 10 games each, including Pong, Breakout, Circus Atari, Atlantis, Pac-Man, and my personal favorite, Pitfall. I'm addicted to them. Has anyone used them and want to give their opinion?

|  IP: Logged

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2004 01:35 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might buy one of these if it let you use a paddle controller for the games that used that; I don't see the point of playing Pong or Breakout with a joystick. There's a number of old games that used trac-balls that have newer conversions that are played with joysticks also.
I have a Colecovision system with the adaptor to play the Atari 2600 games which I used to keep under my TV, but when I added a center channel and subwoofer I didn't have room for it there anymore and have to drag it out whenever I want to play it. (You haven't lived til you've played Atari 2600 Space Invaders with a subwoofer!)

Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2004 01:45 PM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They have Pong available with both a joystick and a paddle. The paddle is far superior.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-03-2004 05:03 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I ever cave in and buy an X-Box, I'll get the Arcade Treasures volumes 1 and 2 from Midway. They have very accurate recreations of coin-op classics like Robotron, Joust, Defender, NARC, Smash TV, Spy Hunter, the original Mortal Kombat game and more.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-03-2004 05:10 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
You can download the ROMS and emulators for all those classic coin-op games and the 2600 from several sites on the inet and play them on your PC.

I also like playing the old Scott Adams text "Adventure" games from the 80's that are also available on his site.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-03-2004 07:16 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, do you have some of those links handy? I have a TI-99/4A emulator on my computer. Man, did that bring back some memories!

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2004 09:11 PM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby: I got that set for my PS-2 and love it... [Smile] Play those old games more then I play the new stuff... I've blown hours on Gauntlet and SpyHunter. [Smile]

--Chris

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-03-2004 09:41 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Careful guys. While we can permit links to emulators without problem, we have to ask that you please don't post any links to the actual game ROMs or ROM sites. Don't get me wrong, I love emulation myself, but ROMs are copyrighted material and could be bad news if links to them were posted here.

Thanks and have a fantastic day! [Big Grin]

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-03-2004 10:05 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Linkage:

MAME (Multi Arcade Machine Emulator), the most popular arcade hardware emulator out there

Stella (awesome Atari 2600 Emulator)

Various NES emulators (NESticle is my preferred one)

Various SNES emulators

Various N64 Emulators

Various GameBoy Emulators

Various TurboGrafx16 Emulators

Various Sega Master System/Game Gear Emulators

Various Sega Genesis/CD/32X Emulators

As for the ROMs, Joe said we cannot link them, so I won't.

They are out there: Start Googling! [Smile]

-Aaron

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-03-2004 11:22 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an Atari 2600 emulator on my Samsung i700 Verizon PDA phone. Very handy when you're sitting in a boring old stuffy meeting - what do you do? How about play River Raid? [Big Grin]

Tim, I used to love my TI-99/4a. That's what got me started in computers... programming in TI BASIC and EXTENDED BASIC! [Smile] Great fun for a 10 year old!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-03-2004 11:24 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MAME is absolutely awesome. What I hate, though, is that you update and suddenly half of your games no longer work. The current version seems to have huge trouble recognizing USB joypads properly.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-04-2004 12:55 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
Tim, I used to love my TI-99/4a. That's what got me started in computers...
Me, too! That was my first computer. A friend showed me a TI-99/4, and I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. So I went out to buy one, and the 4A had just hit the stores.

I can remember paying over $100 for an Extended Basic cartridge! Gee-whiz!

(And thanks for the links, Aaron!)

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2004 12:59 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm too computer-illiterate to play games on a PC. I like playing them on my 40-inch screen with surround sound anyway (of course old games I keep the sound in the center channel, none of that fake stereo crap for me!)
I bought a PS2 since I needed a backup DVD player, but also so I could get the Namco Museum discs. There were 5 volumes originally but only 2 are still in print! Then they put out a Playtstation 2 version of the Namco Museum, but only included about 6 games, when a DVD-ROM could have easily held the ones included on the 5 original CDs! They did a much better job on the Activision Classics disc, which essentially turns your PS2 back into an Atari 2600. There's some TV commercials for the games that you can unlock if you get a certain high score, it's in some proprietary video format so I can't put them on a regular DVD [Mad] I've got some other old game system commercials taped off the air though (oldest being for the 2600 clone Sears Video Arcade from 1977), I need to compile all those onto a DVD.
I was a video-game nut back in the day, but I just can't get into the new games. There's too many buttons to keep track of, and I never liked the ones where you have several weapons and have to pick the best one for the job. I always get killed while trying to remember where the weapons-select button is. I'll take Galaxian any day.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-04-2004 01:19 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miday's web site (www.midway.com) has some of the classic Williams Electronics games available there to play for free. You have to use the Macromedia Shockwave Arcade plug-in to play them. They are very accurate reproductions of the coin-op versions. This might be an alternative for those who don't want to put in a little extra work installing MAME and searching for ROMs.

For Robotron, I use a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro USB joystick for move functions and then use combinations of the 4, 8, 6 and 2 keys on the keyboard for shooting in 8 directions. It takes a little getting used to at first, but I have "rolled" Robotron (scoring over 10 million) doing it.

Darren Crimmins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2004 05:34 PM      Profile for Darren Crimmins   Email Darren Crimmins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have my original Atari 2600 that I just play my old games on. You don't have to worry about converting on a computer if you still have the orginal machine. Classic joysticks, paddles and all!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: