Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » OGG format audio files

Author Topic: OGG format audio files
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-04-2004 08:24 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just been e-mailed one of these and can't play it. Having Googled OGG I've established that this is apparently an open source alternative to the MP3 format... but I can't for the life of me find any software to play the f-----g things. Annoyingly this FAQ covers everything except 'How can I get software which plays these files?'.

Can anyone point me to somewhere I can ideally download a codec that'll make Windows Media Player open .OGG files, or failing that a standalone player? Many thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Erica Peterson
Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2004 08:55 AM      Profile for Erica Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Erica Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winamp will play them.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-04-2004 09:16 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks Erica - Winamp installed and file played successfully.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-04-2004 11:17 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May I also suggest

QuickTime: http://www.apple.com/quicktime

and

VideoLan: http://www.videolan.org

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-04-2004 11:54 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just tried Quicktime and my OGG file 'is not a format that Quicktime recognises'. Had a quick look at the website and there's no mention of it or of a downloadable plug-in.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-04-2004 04:27 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are the advantages of OGG Vorbis or whatever it's called? I am too lazy to read the FAQ and I don't think it's asking too much for someone to spell it out especially for me. I hear it's better than MP3 with fewer artifacts.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-04-2004 05:09 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main reason given in the FAQ page I read is speculation that the patent owners of the MP3 format will shortly start charging (or more accurately, I suspect, try to start charging) royalties for MP3 encodings and each copy of playback software. OGG being open source from the word go, it sidesteps all these issues.

Given the huge number of MP3 files, encoding and decoding software already out there I guess this is a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. And if OGG is going to get anywhere, IMHO, its supporters are going to have to make it a lot easier to get hold of playback software.

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2004 05:17 PM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main advantage is being able to tell people that you're "down with OGG".

Sorry. [Frown]

I've gotta agree that it's a little too late to start getting rich off of the MP3 encoding process.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: