Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Need software idea for a business

Author Topic: Need software idea for a business
Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2004 09:05 PM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need some sort of software to kept track of customers. I do car alarms and remote start installs. And want to kept all the info on a computer. i need to be able to search from differt fileds, such as car make, model, or what i install in the car. what i have now is all done by paper work.
Any one have a idea.

|  IP: Logged

Ben Holley
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2004 09:47 PM      Profile for Ben Holley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you probably wouldnt even need to buy any software, just pay some computer science student\rouge programmer to do something simple for you. It sounds like a mock program the keep us doing over and over [sleep]

question, how many clients do u plan on having in your system?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-08-2004 01:21 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's called Microsoft Excel.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2004 03:27 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Access would probably be more appropriate.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-08-2004 04:18 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Filemaker would be even better.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-08-2004 04:35 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the information you give, any off-the-shelf database package could be configured to store that information and let you search it in the way you describe. You probably wouldn't even need all the features of Access or Filemaker - the database component of MS Works or the spreadsheet component of the totally free Open Office may well be enough. It boils down to what features you need specifically and whether you're prepared to climb up the learning curve of programming the structure yourself. If you're going to pay someone else to do it, I would suggest making a detailed, accurate list of the information you need it to store and how you need to retrieve it. Don't leave out any detail, however trivial, because it'll be a lot more complicated and potentially cost a lot more to add in extra facilities later.

Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2004 06:26 AM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO ACT would be better because you could keep track of your customers and any coresspndance with them, as well as meetings and appointments

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-08-2004 10:01 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for FileMaker.

It's a bit of an expense at first but it blows M$ access away. Further, it's cross-platform and you can include all kinds of multimedia content if you need to. (e.g.: You can take photographs of your work and store that along with each record.)

You can build a custom interface with it if you want to and you can even publish databases to the internet. (Or your intranet.)

The learning curve is a lot less steep than Access. In just a few days you can be WELL on your way to building a database that you can start using right away.

Yes, I like Open Office too. But the problem I have with it is that, if you have trouble with it, you're pretty much on your own. IF you know enough about computers that you can handle your own tech support or research the internet for it, then I say OK. If you want to be able to rely on the company for at least some small measure of support then go with the commercial product.
The short answer is, "You get what you pay for."

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-08-2004 12:54 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed completely. I've had almost 100% good experiences with Open Office. The one real drawback I've found is that its Powerpoint equivalent is more clunky and less straightforward for editing the content of slides. But even so, it still does the job. And the wordprocessor has a lot of useful features that MS Word doesn't - exporting straight to PDF without the need for Acrobat, for one thing. I've also found it very stable - no unexpected program terminations so far. But as you say, there's no 'phone support service and no 'Open Office for Dummies' type book you can get from your local W.H. Smiths.

But for a fully featured package which has most of the features of MS Office, some which it doesn't, which is almost as easy to use and is totally free, Open Office is still quite an achievement, IMHO.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-08-2004 01:08 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what about star office that is what I use still (the os2 version)

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2004 02:16 PM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to learn SQL is teh shit.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: