Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Poker

Author Topic: Poker
Barry Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2004 01:05 AM      Profile for Barry Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious if anyone out there has caught the "poker bug" or has played regularly for years and such. My friends and I started a regular game a few years back, then the World Poker Tour got really big and we started making trips down to Foxwoods in CT on a regular basis. Now, for the moment carless and in Vermont away from most of my poker buddies I've resorted to online play which actually can be very profitable considering the junk some people will play. There have been weeks where I made more playing single table tournaments than working! Was curious if anyone else plays online and if so which site(s) you prefer? I've mostly been on Party Poker just because of the cheap games they have and the looseness of the players. Want to try Full Tilt Poker some time soon.

Bad beat stories are also fun, mine took place at Foxwoods. I was up about $2000 playing No Limit Texas Hold'em and I get aces. Guy raises me so I reraise and he calls. About $100 in the pot. Flop comes ace-ace-k. I check of course, he raises $200! I'm in heaven! [Big Grin] I reraise him $200 more. He raises the rest to make the pot almost $1200. He shows 5-4 hearts. The ace of hearts is on the flop, turn and river came 2 and 3 of hearts. I nearly lost it!

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2004 01:10 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to play a lot before poker became the current fade. Many times I'd stay up all night - some nights good, others not so good. We'd play pot games like seven card stud, burn, and one of our own creation inwhich 5's and 2's were wild called 52. In our homes it was strictly cash antes with most players showing up with about $400 - $500 dollars in their poker bags. The worst beating I ever took was $454 where my royal straight flush lost to five-of-a-kind. My greatest victory was an $850 blackjack hand in Atlantic City.

Here in western Pennsylvania we still have old ethnic clubs, mostly senior citizens as members, that will sponsor tournaments inwhich 49 people compete in 7 rounds to get a seat at the winners' table. Last place is guranteed to at least get back his/her $25 entry fee ($30 if you play with the Italians, but they have better food [Big Grin] ). I won the Polish club tournament back in either '95 or '96, can't remember. I invested the money in a bank CD and used for the down payment on a car six months later. Most guys just blow their winnings in the after-hours gambling at somebody else's house - or buy beer.

As far a Texas Hold 'Em is concerned, I don't like it. Just like I stay out of Pai Gow and Three Card Monte games. Video poker is cool and now that Pennsylvania is about to permit slot gambling, I'm hoping their will be a provision in the statues for this.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2004 01:28 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
POKER?!?! But I hardly even know her! [Razz]

=TMP=

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2004 01:52 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You bastard.
I was going to write that!
[sleep] = :loser:

There should be a smiley for loser.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 12-08-2004 01:59 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[joe]

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2004 03:23 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if I'd ever play for nearly as much money as Aaron was, that could get out of hand. Tonight I'll be playing in a game with a $5 buy in. I think there is nothing wrong with poker so long as you play it to have fun and not to make money.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-08-2004 03:50 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't play cards for money.

I like to study sleight-of-hand magic.
Because people know that, if I WIN at cards they assume I must have cheated, somehow. If I LOSE at cards then they assume I'm a bad magician.

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2004 04:33 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've caught the poker bug. my friend who is a gambler he got me into it. i hate to throw money away but he convinced me to play a $1 game and i was hooked. we play texas no limit. it's an easy game to pick up but also can get complicated.

i play online at pokerstars, my screen name is blaze588, if anyone wants to play a hand or to. i play mainly sit and go, 300+20 buy in, play money. my friends and i play $1 and $5 games when we can. im a very tight player, but will sometimes bluff for the pot, just to change up things.

Barry, i know what you mean about bad beats online, i think the computer will draw you into play. i'v lost with 3 aces before and 2 kings with 2 jacks etc.... what i learned is it's very unpredictable what people have and play with. sometimes i can read the other play just because of the computer does with cards on the flop. they want people to play so they entice you with a good hand. it sucks but it's fun.

Barry Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2004 12:47 AM      Profile for Barry Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Dustin, I've never won enough (and not spent the winnings) to come to a game with $400-500. I mean, I would love to be the next winner of the World Series of Poker or World Poker Tour as much as anyone else, but I'm not going to lay $5,000-$10,000 down to try it. Even if I won it and got paid like $5,000,000 I would still try to get back in by playing cheap little $5.00 satellites.

Usually at home games we would buy in with $20-$50, more often the $20. The justification was that we could usually play for about 4-5 hours so even if you lost your whole $20 it was cheaper than going out and spending $20 on movies, concerts, pool, bowling, dinner, etc. At least on a per hour basis. It's more for fun than money, like you said William. I love when I'm playing a cheap game online and some idiot starts complaining about the way I won. It's poker! And in Texas Hold'em any 5 cards can come, if you can't deal with the swings you're playing the wrong game.

I tried Poker Stars at the request of one of my buddies and didn't much like it. Lost $50 in two days which is the most I've ever lost in less than a month. Too many "bad beats". [Smile] I do like their variety on tournament types and buy-ins though. Party Poker just started a new tournament called "Steps" which seems really fun and profitable! The first step is $11, and if you come in 4th or better you move on to step 2. Then win that, step 3, etc. etc. You can buy into the higher steps for more money ($50, $200, $1000, etc.) but of course I would only play the $11. Anyways, 20 people play in each step so you don't have to beat a lot of people and the first place of step 5 gets $9,000! [Eek!] All for beating 99 people.

William, just in case you didn't notice, that bad beat story I mentioned was at Foxwoods in Connecticut. Online I would have said "that's typical" [Big Grin] This guy was just plain crazy.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: