Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Anyone here play D&D? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Anyone here play D&D?
James Faber
Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2004 12:44 AM      Profile for James Faber   Author's Homepage   Email James Faber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, I know D&D has a bad rep, and yes, it's very nerdy. However, I find it very entertaining to swap D&D stories, because sometimes things can get a little out of hand, if you have some less than intelligent players or a really mean DM.

Probably one of my better stories is when I was DMing a game in a custom world. We had just started, and all the PCs were level 1. Late in the first session, these 4 PCs met up with an Ettin (which they were NOT supposed to fight), and these idiots decided that there was no other choice but to throw down. Now, at Ettin is CR 5 (meant to be fought by 4 5th level characters). Now, I assumed all of these characters dead, but somehow, they killed it. They rolled critical hits pretty much every other roll, and only one character (a bard) was even knocked out.

|  IP: Logged

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2004 03:11 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nope, don't know what you're talking about.

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2004 03:40 AM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to toss dice back in the Extended 2nd Ed days.

Probably my BESTEST story ever was when I had to duel my best friends character. Long, long....LONG battle.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 12-10-2004 03:20 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*Slowly raises hand*

Actually, I don't really play now because I don't know anyone in the area that plays so technically I stopped about a year and a half ago...I would definitly get back into if I knew anyone around here. [Smile]

Wow, I'm pathetic, could I get any geekier! I can't even find someone to play D&D with!!! [Big Grin]

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2004 03:07 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will play with you Rachel, however you are in the great Cheese State and I am here in Vegas. [Big Grin]

Anyhoo, I haven't played in about 10 years or so. All my books and random enumurators (Dice) have been in the garage for some time now. I would not mind getting into it again. I am an Uber Geek and damn proud of it...

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-11-2004 09:57 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone these days is still on the Medieval kick... Lord of the Rings and such.

Wish to hell Westerns would come back.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 12-12-2004 12:03 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Reed
Wish to hell Westerns would come back.
Uh, no thanks. [sleep] [evil] [Big Grin]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-12-2004 12:35 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, that describes the sword and stone stuff for me. [Wink] Believe it or not, for the better part of the 20th century -- up until the late 60s, even -- Western and cowboy themes prevailed in toys, games, movies, and television. They supplied action, excitement, and escapism. Just like the King Arthur stuff today.

Mark my words. Westerns will come back -- soon as they've been gone long enough to become novel again.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 12-12-2004 07:40 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up on Westerns all thanks to my dad. Now, I don't live with him and I have my own TV, bye bye John Wayne! [Smile]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-12-2004 09:12 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim: maybe you could invent a Western role playing game. You could call it C&C - Cows&Colts. Or H&H - Horses&Hoes.

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2004 10:45 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of my best lifetime stories started with the D&D group I was in back in the 70s (young ands stupid - as opposed to now, when I'm old and stupid).

My favborite game story goes back to the time my character was lucky enough (or the DM foolish enough) to obtain a (totally unlimited) wish. I saved it until I was alone in a cave with the character of a player everyone hated. I got sick of the character basically cheating everyone else at every opportunity, and killed him (to the player's great and vocal objections, and promises of revenge when he managed to get the character resurrected.) Then I used the wish - to require that the corpse vanish utterly, and that everyone else forget completely that the character ever existed. Problem solved, hated player stalked out in a huff never to return, and me the recipient of multi beers in thanks!

Those were the days!

Your D&D story reminds me of just a few days ago - My younger son tells me he mentioned the D&D offshoot "Call of Cthulhu" to one of his teachers, who claimed that somehow her bunch of players actually managed to KILL Cthulhu early in the game.

James Faber
Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2004 04:34 AM      Profile for James Faber   Author's Homepage   Email James Faber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to know that there are other around here that are also into such nerdery.

Christopher, your photo suggest your in some sort of reenactment group? SCA, perhaps. I've always wanted to join the SCA, but working in a booth doesn't allow you the kind of schedule to go to their meetings. I've been swordfighting with a friend for a couple of weeks now, and we're both getting pretty good. You have an sword training?

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2004 08:52 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dabbled a little bit in the AD&D...then Magic: The Gathering...

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2004 03:35 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually had a group out for SHREK and later on for all of THE LORD OF THE RINGS films. Me being the geek that I am had to try on some of the armor. The group is The Kingdom Of Aragon based out of Vegas. Unlike the SCA, they actually use real steel weapons but only at partial force. The SCA uses wooded replicas at full force.

As for that picture, I really need to update it, it's now pushing 3 years old.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2004 03:44 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone here played Neverwinter Nights (the computerized version of AD&D)... It's become my latest addiction..

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: