Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Really REALLY EZ Pass (AKA: Product protects license plates from being photographed) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Really REALLY EZ Pass (AKA: Product protects license plates from being photographed)
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-14-2004 09:15 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you guys seen this photoblocker spray? It's pretty cool. Check out this video...

http://www.phantomplate.com/videos/hinted_nbc_baltimore_dsl.mov

Edit: Gee, Joe, sorry for making you feel teased. I meant to tease Phil.

[ 12-14-2004, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Mark J. Marshall ]

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-14-2004 12:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will be really REALLY EZ 2 BAN u if u don't take care of the teaser subject. [Big Grin]

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2004 02:37 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOO HOO! E-pass lane, here I come!! [Big Grin]

Seriously, though. For the legal-minded (like me) I have had several instances where the damn coin basket didn't count my change correctly and I was forced to go through the toll. Mind you, I PAID the toll, but it took my picture... Week later I get a threatening letter warning me that my next "violation" will result in a $100 ticket. There was a number to call and explain, but will they listen and take the violation off my record? Of course not. Will they give me my money back for all the times I had to continue throwing quarters in until it registered? Hell no.

The People need to take Freedom into their own hands and buy this product.

In the words of a prominent African American recording artist, "Fuk Da Po-lice!" [Wink]

=TMP=

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-14-2004 03:42 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what happens when you pay with pennies. [Wink]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-14-2004 04:22 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Easy... Don't go through!

Just sit there. Put the car in park and wait till somebody comes to fix the broken machine. If somebody doesn't come to help, blow the horn.

If the person behind you gets impatient, it's not YOUR problem!
If traffic is backed up for 10 miles on the highway, it's not YOUR fault!

If they don't fix the machine, it's THEIR problem.

You are just "obeying the law". [Roll Eyes]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-14-2004 06:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
Easy... Don't go through!

Just sit there. Put the car in park and wait till somebody comes to fix the broken machine. If somebody doesn't come to help, blow the horn.

Right on Randy! I used to do that when I had coin counter trouble on the Illinois Tollway. They have a person there that comes over to assist you because they have gates there.

Mark

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 12-14-2004 09:24 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Right on Randy! I used to do that when I had coin counter trouble on the Illinois Tollway. They have a person there that comes over to assist you because they have gates there.

Speaking of the Illinois tollway, I got stuck in Chicago at one of those damn toll booths. I put my change in and it didn't register, by that point I was already pulled up to the gate. I got out of my car and put more change in, it still didn't register so I got back in my car and me and the people behind me just held the horns down for about 5 minutes until someone opened the gate. How irritating.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-14-2004 09:59 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Easy solution for the reflective spray: Eliminate the flash and design the camera so none is needed. OR...relocate the flash away from the camera.

The spray probably creates a retroreflective effect where light is reflected directly back towards the source rather than the normal reflection where angle of incidence = angle of reflection. Retroreflection is what a vehicle reflector does and it's also what materials like 3M Scotchlite™ (used for road signs etc.) do. If you move the flash head away from the camera the light reflected back towards the light source won't be seen as glare by the camera

Careful selection of the flash location would eliminate the camera being blinded by retroreflective glare and also not receive glare from conventional reflection.

Bottom line: Don't get your hopes up.

I'm all for Photocop for people running red lights as long as it goes after only the most egregious violators (people entering the intersection after the light is red, not those who squeak through on yellow and have it change to red after they're in the intersection). Or people who drive around railroad crossing gates. I don't like the idea of Photocop for speed enforcement, a violation that mostly endangers just the driver.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2004 11:02 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
doesn't the license plate photography rely on retroreflection in the first place? the background retroreflects but the numerals don't. so to get the best image of an untampered plate, the flash needs to be near the camera to capture that contrast. maybe in the daytime, a good shot could be obtained without retroreflection, but it's probably necessary at night.

carl

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-14-2004 11:13 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Pennsylvania, at least, there is a law that makes it illegal to obscure your license plate. Even if it's just because some dirt or some snow got on there. The driver is responsible for making sure.

Just this evening there was a news story on TV that said the cops were going to start busting people with snow on their plates.

I'd say that this stuff obscures the license plate and would therefore be illegal. At least it would be in Pennsylvania. I'm sure other states have the same or similar laws.

Furthermore, I'd put forth that this stuff has no purpose but to make it easier for people to break the law. If you don't run red lights; if you don't skip toll booths; if you don't exceed the speed limit you have no reason to fear that some automatic device will take a picture of your license plate. Therefore, if you put this stuff on your license plate, the ONLY reason is because you PLAN to break the law.

On top of that, somebody who planned to commit some other crime like robbing a bank could use it to make it harder for the police to track his car.

So... There are THREE reasons why it should be illegal. Even if it's not specifically illegal right now, the "obscuration rule" would make it indirectly illegal.

Now, as Steve pointed out, I don't think it would work in all situations. First, in bright daylight the camera wouldn't need flash. No flash = no retroreflection. The camera would get a perfect picture regardless. Even if flash was used I'd think that, if the ambient light was sufficient to get a good picture the effect would be minimal.

Second, as Steve said, putting the flash at another angle from the camera would cure the problem all togehter, whether the flash is used or not.

Third, I think those red light cams take multiple exposures. As the car moves through the camera's field of view its position changes within the film frame. If the camera took, say, 4 exposures, alternating flash and no flash, chances would be pretty high that at least ONE of them would come out. Even then, a PARTIAL plate number might be enough to pin down the registration.

Fourth, identifying marks on the car would give it away. How many white Mazda 626's with fake bullet hole stickers on the trunk that have a dented in rear passenger door are registered in Erie, Pennsylvania? How many white Mazdas are there with those markings and a plate that starts with the letters "ENC-????" are there in all of Pennsylvania. (In the entire world?) Probably only one... The one that's registered to ME.

I already counted two or three ways they could bust you for this stuff. On top of that, they'd throw the book at you for whatever other crimes you commit while you are in posession of an adulterated license plate. (It's obvious that the act was WILLFUL and PREMEDITATED.) Then they'd probably dream up some charge like, "Willful Evasion of the Law", or some cockemamie thing like that.

This junk smells like bad Ju-Ju to me!

Man! If you ever get caught with this stuff on your license plate, you'll probably find yourself so far up Shit Creek that a paddle wouldn't do you any good even if you DID have one!

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2004 11:29 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Red light cameras (at least here in AZ) take 4 exposures, 1 from the front and 1 from the back, each about 1 second apart.

Ben Holley
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2004 11:50 PM      Profile for Ben Holley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
does this stuff wash off in the rain?

i would buy this stuff if it was a little cheaper, not that i run redlights but i still dont trust those camera's to not snap a picture of when you cut a yellow light a little to close.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-15-2004 01:33 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's basically clear spray paint. It won't wash off.

That also means you can't UNDO it. If you put it on and later you decide it's a stupid idea (Which it is) you can't get it off. If this stuff turns out to be illegal and a cop catches you with it, you're toast. Even if all you wanted to do was just to "check it out".

Remember this: Red light cam's don't take pictures of innocent people.

1) They are aimed at the center of the intersection where you SHOULDN'T BE if the light is red.

2) They are not tripped unless your car crosses the inductive loop in the pavement.

3) If I remember my traffic rules correctly, a YELLOW light means, "Don't enter the intersection! But, if you are ALREADY passed the white line, keep going." If the light turns red while you are inside the "box" you are technically in violation of the rules.

The only real defence against a red light cam is to prove that this really wasn't your car or that the camera malfunctioned. If the camera malfunctioned, it will be clear because the traffic light in question is always inside the frame of the camrea.

If the judge holds up a picture of your car and says, "Is this your car?" There are only two things that can save you:

1) "No, sir. That's not my car."

2) "Yes, sir but, as you can see in the picture, the light is green."

Thus, in the eyes of the red light cam, there is no such thing as "cutting it close".

Don't cross that white line when your're not supposed to and you won't get in trouble. Plain and simple.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2004 01:40 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
a YELLOW light means, "Don't enter the intersection! But, if you are ALREADY passed the white line, keep going."
how good are your brakes?

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2004 02:46 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SALE CONDITIONS FOR PHOTOBLOCKER PRODUCT

1. This product is only for UK inland sale - we will not ship this to Northern Ireland, Scottish Highlands or any international destination.

2. The product is for off road use only and is of novelty value only. It may be illegal to use this product on the road.

3. This product is excluded from any 12 month manufacturer warranty.

4. The 7 day money back guarantee only applies to unused cans which are in "as new" condition.

5. Upon purchasing this product, the customer becomes responsible for any legal implications as a result of the use or misuse of this product.

6. There is no guarantee that this product will stop you getting a speeding ticket.

7. It is illegal to tamper or interfere with your vehicle number plate.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: