Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What's the most valuable movie poster in your collection? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: What's the most valuable movie poster in your collection?
Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2004 04:16 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to say that the most valuable poster in my collection is an original 'Young at Heart' poster from 1954 with my man Frank Sinatra and Doris Day. I love Frank Sinatra so I had to buy it. Other than that I also have a mint condition Batman (1989) that I've seen on some websites fetching about $400. I also have just about every Best Picture winner from the last 8 or 9 years that will probably be worth something when I'm an old bastard.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-15-2004 06:15 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any really old movie posters; most date back to the early 1990s. One of the niftiest ones is a lenticular poster for "Species 2". I know it was a crappy movie, but the poster was cool (Natasha Hentridge changes from herself into a monster when viewed at different angles).

I have a big "Titanic" teaser banner with a Summer 1997 release date (the movie was pushed back to December 1997). That might be worth something.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2004 07:08 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
REVENGE of the Jedi.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2004 07:26 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some lobby poster dealers advertising in Big Reel magazine.

They state that some of the really sought after posters are worth upwards of $1 million or so.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-15-2004 07:33 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No idea what its worth, but I have the 1989 reissue poster of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs." It is on thick paper, has gold accents stamped onto the border and on Snow White's dress, and there's a gold-stamped "50th Anniversary" logo at the bottom. It's probably the rarest poster in my collection. My oldest is an original "Sound of Music." (1965)

I also have the complete set of character posters from "Space Jam!" [Smile] Dumb movie, but cool posters, probably worth nothing I guess.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2004 08:03 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Clerks" autographed by Kevin Smith, Walt Flannegan, & others (not Jason Mewes [Frown] )

I have the Titanic/Summer teaser as well.

And the cool mylar Pirates of the Caribbean poster might be worth something some day.

=TMP=

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-15-2004 10:07 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing terribly valuable, except to me. I have a pair of original Japanese posters for the 1988 animated double bill of My Neighbor Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies. They are B1 size (approx. 1-sheet) and due to some use and wear, the pair is probably worth only about USD $300.

I have at least one B2 size (approx. half-sheet) poster for every Studio Ghibli film, ranging in value from $10 to $80 each. I also have all of the Japanese roadshow theater program booklets for these films. So not a lot of money is tied up in this stuff, but I didn't buy it for that.

Studio Ghibli is the core of my stash, but the stack of posters and pamphlets for other Japanese films (live action and animated) or Japanese posters/pamphlets of Hollywood films is slowly growing.

A long term goal: To have at least one poster for each of the 48 "Tora-san" films, produced between 1969 and 1996. It's Tough Being a Man! (Otoko wa Tsurai yo) is reputed to be the world's longest running series of theatrical film sequels.

[ 12-23-2004, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Paul Mayer ]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-15-2004 11:21 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow cool topic.

quote: Christian Volpi
Batman (1989)
Got it.

quote: Michael Coate
REVENGE of the Jedi
Got it.

quote: Mike Blakesley
1989 reissue poster of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs."
I *THINK* I have that one too. In addition, I have the silver mylar (?) Snow White Advance Poster that is painted like the mirror so when you look at it, you see yourself. Sort of like the "Son Of The Mask" poster that was out recently. It has the tag line "Mirror Mirror On The Wall..." There's one on ebay right now here . Also have a mint Fantasia 50th Anniversary poster.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2004 11:25 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just have one movie poster here on my wall. I got this on Ebay for $10. great deal for this poster. Original style-B one sheet from 1975. This poster is great, I hate the common "lips" poster.. but i guess that's common because most theatres didn't want to put this poster on display out front. [Eek!]

-

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2004 11:51 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could talk about posters all day long. Here is a very short list of my prized possessions (all orginal):

Rushmore
Heat
The Lost Boy
Debbie Does Dallas (found this one plus 50 other sexploitation posters at a garage sale and bought the whole thing for $80... Then made a profit of over $300 on most of them)

Italian Job 1969 (Little did I know this was a HUGE cult classic over in the UK. Sold a 3-sheet for $700.00 Kept my insert and Turkish one sheet)

Star Wars (found this one at an antique mall for $10!! someone didn't do their homework...)

Iron Giant (2 US, 2 British Quads, US banner and standee among almost all of the toys)

the Little Hut 1957 1/2 sheet with Ava Gardner

Empire of the Senses oversized Italian poster done by Rolland Topar

Very Private Affair oversized Italian with Brigit Bardot (heard the movie was dull but the poster is great)

Ultima Mondo Cannibal aka JUNGLE HOLOCOUST (oversized Italian poster with alot of gore)

The Black Hole 1/2 sheet (Loved the movie/loved the robots even more)

the oldest one I have in my collection is The Adventures of Ajj Baba 1/2 sheet 1954

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-16-2004 11:01 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked in post-production we would put up framed posters for the films we'd worked on. New ones would go up in prime space and older ones shifted back down the hallways. I started keeping extras myself and I suppose I still have them in various conditions.

BTW, when the post house closed the poster collection was sold to the local Planet Hollywood restaurant. I have no idea if they ever displayed them or where they went when they closed.

Now at my own screening room I put up whatever I'm given if it looks interesting and I accept "dibs" from critics or neighbors and will give it to them when it comes down. Old ones tend to pile up. A while back I put out a bunch on a table and told people to help themselves. I'm too lazy to eBay posters one at a time. A long time ago I sold some enmasse...as many as I could pack into those square tube boxes. But I tried that again last year and there were no takers. They sat til I finally just gave them away to a schoolteacher friend. Getting even lazier the last time I got overwhelmed whatever was left after the table give-away went to the dumpster. I hate to do that.

Brian D. Whitish
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2004 11:12 AM      Profile for Brian D. Whitish   Email Brian D. Whitish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My most valuable are:
The aforementioned Snow White framed.
A Woody Allen Signed Manhattan.
An original ET signed by Steven Speilberg.
An original Star Wars signed by George Lucas.
An original Revenge of the Jedi.
A Star Wars reissue with Revenge of the Jedi preview tag on corner.
An original Blade Runner signed by Rutger Hauer and Harrison Ford.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-16-2004 11:50 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These a few of the one from my collection that I can think of from the top of my head.

Lawrence of Arabia (rare head artwork style, once offered $1000 by Dawn Steel at Columbia Pictures)
Some Like It Hot signed by Billy Wilder
Apartment, The signed by Lemmon and Billy Wilder
One, Two, Three signed by Billy Wilder
High and the Mighty, The
Raiders of the Lost Ark signed by Spielberg
Close Encounters.... signed by Spielberg
Raging Bull signed by Scorsese
Taxi Driver signed by Scorsese and DeNiro
Pulp Fiction signed by Tarantino & Thurman
Chinatown signed by Nicholson, Evans & Polanski
Wild Bunch, The
Dirty Harry
For A Few Dollars More
From Russia With Love
Thunderball
You Only Live Twice
Diamonds Are Forever
Star Wars reissue with Revenge of the Jedi (40x60 & 1sh)
Patton (40x60 style A)
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (rare style A)

And these ROADSHOW VERSIONS of these one sheets.
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World Presented in Cinerama
Grand Prix Presented in Cinerama
2001 Presented in Cinerama
Ice Station Zebra Presented in Cinerama

One last piece it's not a poster but the original artwork for the poster. "Cannonball Run II"

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-16-2004 12:40 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL I once told Burt Reynolds he couldnt keep making Cannonball Run movies forever. Sadly, it was at the wrap party for Rent A Cop. Does anyone remember that one?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-16-2004 01:50 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Gabel
Pulp Fiction signed by Tarantino & Thurman
While in Hollywood for the 3D Fest last year, I had considered getting a Kill Bill poster and having Tarantino sign it since he was there at the fest also, but decided against it because there were so many people there and I didn't want to subject him to everyone doing that. [Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: