Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » $1 Billion Judgment Against Spammers

Author Topic: $1 Billion Judgment Against Spammers
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-18-2004 06:34 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just about everyone hates spam. The only people who don't hate spam are the little bastards who work for spam companies. May they get cursed with some ass-cancer. Here's a news story that was posted today about an ISP's case against three spammers, and the $1 billion judgment that resulted.

quote:
Spammers ordered to pay $1 billion
Judgment thought to be largest ever

Saturday, December 18, 2004 Posted: 5:38 PM EST (2238 GMT)

DAVENPORT, Iowa (AP) -- A federal judge has awarded an Internet service provider more than $1 billion in what is believed to be the largest judgment ever against spammers.

Robert Kramer, whose company provides e-mail service for about 5,000 subscribers in eastern Iowa, filed suit against 300 spammers after his inbound mail servers received up to 10 million spam e-mails a day in 2000, according to court documents.

U.S. District Judge Charles R. Wolle filed default judgments Friday against three of the defendants under the Federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act and the Iowa Ongoing Criminal Conduct Act.

AMP Dollar Savings Inc. of Mesa, Arizona, was ordered to pay $720 million and Cash Link Systems Inc. of Miami, Florida, was ordered to pay $360 million. The third company, Florida-based TEI Marketing Group, was ordered to pay $140,000.

"It's definitely a victory for all of us that open up our e-mail and find lewd and malicious and fraudulent e-mail in our boxes every day," Kramer said after the ruling.

Kramer's attorney, Kelly Wallace, said he is unlikely to ever collect the judgment, which was made possible by an Iowa law that allows plaintiffs to claim damages of $10 per spam message. The judgments were then tripled under RICO.

"We hope to recover at least his costs," Wallace said.

There were no telephone listings in Arizona and Florida for the any of the three companies. An e-mail sent Saturday to Cash Link Systems went unanswered.

According to court documents, no attorneys for the defendants were present during a bench trial in November. The lawsuit continues against other named defendants.

Laura Atkins, president of SpamCon Foundation, an anti-spamming organization based in Palo Alto, California, said she believed it was the largest judgment ever in an anti-spam lawsuit.

"This is just incredible," she said. "I'm not aware of anything that's been over $100 million."

I hope the trials against the named defendants have very severe results. With some of the proceedings happening under RICO, I hope some felony convictions result.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-18-2004 07:19 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 questions: obviously the can't pay that much. Does that mean the companies will be liquidated and the assets sold to pay as much of the fine as possible?
The other question is, why do marketing companies send spam? Since everybody is just annoyed by the messages and deletes them, what good does it do them?

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 12-18-2004 07:25 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because some people actually click on them...

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-18-2004 07:33 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The spam business works because the economics of spam are so different from most advertising media. The cost to the advertiser is very small to send out spam (the recipient actually bears most of the cost, which includes bandwidth and storage/backup capacity), so response rates do not need to be high in order for the advertiser to make a profit.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-18-2004 10:27 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they got off too light.

They should be caught and have their their balls cut-off and then have them stuffed in their mouths...and then shoot them in the kneecaps before they torture them.

(I don't believe in the death penalty ya know... ) [Wink] [Razz]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-19-2004 05:04 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
2 questions: obviously the can't pay that much. Does that mean the companies will be liquidated and the assets sold to pay as much of the fine as possible?
I presume so, and would speculate that the actual reason this fine was imposed was not because there is any chance of the spam merchants being able to pay it, but to make sure that they can never trade again.

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2004 06:08 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well no wonder the spam was getting to my inbox so fast, it was being sent from right down the street!

Barry Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2004 10:42 AM      Profile for Barry Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other question is, why do marketing companies send spam? Since everybody is just annoyed by the messages and deletes them, what good does it do them?
Same reason telemarketing works, people actually buy. I've had yellowpages.com call my theater about 6 times since I started running it in April. Each time they call up wanting to speak to the prior owner, I tell them it's changed hands. Then I tell them no we're not interested in buying any advertising from them but if they have a free listing here is the correct information. Yet every month or so they call back. [Mad]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-19-2004 07:04 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get that too sometimes. People call and say "I would like to speak to Bill." When I say "Bill doesn't live here", they go "oh, aha, well since I am talking to you anyway, could I interest you in this and that, blabla".
I entered my number in the US Gov Do Not Call list and didn't get any telemarketing calls at all for several months. Apparently this "can I speak to Bill" thing is a way to legally work around it, although I can't imagine that it actually is since I didn't enter me or Bill as such, but the number.
I used to get annoyed when that happened, now I just say "I will get him for you" and put the phone down, then hang up after half an hour or so.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-19-2004 07:53 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Mike... I did that same thing or told them "Bill" is in the shower and asked them for their number so "Bill" could call them back. JERKS!

Since I put my number on the Do Not Call list, I have not got any spam calls.

I am disappointed... I was hoping to get rich from a lawsuit... [beer]

>>> Phil

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-20-2004 12:38 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to pretend I'm interested, then just set the phone down and see how long it takes before I hear them saying "Mr. Blakesley? Mr. Blakesley? Sir, are you there?" and so on. Then I hang up. Sometimes they call back and I do the same thing again.

But I haven't had any such fun since the Do-not-call list. Funny, I don't miss it all that much.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-20-2004 01:51 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to get annoyed when that happened, now I just say "I will get him for you" and put the phone down, then hang up after half an hour or so.
There's a similar trick which works very well with junk (snail) mail. For about a year after I moved into my current flat I kept getting all sorts of crap addressed to the previous occupant. I thought that once I'd written 'Not known at this address - please return to sender' on a few of them and sent them back, that databases would get updated and the mail would stop. It didn't, and despite registering with the agency that keeps a list of 'no junk mail' addresses, the stuff kept coming.

A friend then told me that if, apparently, you circle the addressee's name, write 'deceased - please return to sender' on the envelope and stick it in the postbox, the junk mail will stop very quickly. This is because the junk mailers ignore 'no longer heres' in the hope that the new occupant will start opening the junk mail; but if they think someone's died they'll make sure to delete that name instantly because they don't want the bad headlines that could result from a 'phone call to the local paper or radio station.

Anyhow that's exactly what I did, and within a couple of weeks the flow of junk mail had reduced from 2-3 items a day to virtually zero.

As far as direct marketing calls go, I simply don't answer any incoming call from a withheld number - I let the answering machine take it and if it's someone I want to talk to, I'll pick up while they're leaving a message.

Barry Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2004 02:51 PM      Profile for Barry Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My solution was to take over the conversation and sound thrilled about it. "Oh, HI Mary! You're selling what? Oh that's fantastic, I could probably use a few of those and buy as gifts too. How fast can I get them? Is there anything I should buy with it? Oh, but how much is shipping? Oh that's not bad at all! I can buy even more! Now what was your company name? Aha, and in case I want to refer some people to you is there a website and phone number I can give them? Aha, and what was your name? Oh yes, and Mary, what is your supervisors name? You can't tell me, well, I didn't think we had any secrets Mary. I see. Well, what are you doing tonight after work? No, I might still buy all that, but I need to meet you first. Well because if you can't trust me, how do I know I'm going to get the merchandise I'm ordering without meeting you, plus you have a sexy voice. I can tell a lot about a woman from her voice, in fact I used to be one but that didn't go so well." Just keep going until THEY hang up, they're paying for the call so it's FREE entertainment! [Big Grin]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-20-2004 03:24 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Barry Martin
Same reason telemarketing works, people actually buy. I've had yellowpages.com call my theater about 6 times since I started running it in April.
It's quite a bit different to simply have a web site or an ad listing on some web-based Yellow Pages directory. Would-be customers have to actively search for your listing to respond.

Spam is "push" based advertising. The bastards try to shove their ads into your e-mail box whether you want to see the ads or not.

Fundamentally, Internet Service Providers need to get on the ball a bit better about this spam issue. Much of it would be defeated if the ISPs would just automatically delete any and all virus-infected e-mail that comes through their servers. A great deal of computer viruses these days are propogated by spam companies to turn thousands of PCs into spam vomiting zombies.

Some ISPs do run active anti-virus filters that automatically kill such malware infected e-mail. But typically you only see smaller, independent ISPs doing this.

Larger ISPs like SBC, Cox, America Online, etc. take the passive and stupid approach. They'll have some anti-virus filter available through their web-based e-mail account pages. But you have to manually make the server scan each piece of mail one at a time. And that's bullshit. Who has the time to do all of that if your "bulk mail" folder has 200 pieces of junk mail in it? Even worse, their passive anti-virus filters do absolutely nothing to screen e-mail if you launch Outlook Express or Mozilla Thunderbird and download e-mail directly to your computer.

Granted, it is pretty easy to "proof" e-mail via the web before downloading to your PC. I do this with all of my e-mail accounts. The problem is 90% of computer users do not. They just blindly launch Outlook Express and let their machines get infected with whatever comes down out of the queue. The end users are never going to get 100% on the ball about security issues. This is why it is up to the ISPs to do something about the problem. It boggles the mind why they don't just automatically delete malware e-mails. They're paying for all that extra bandwidth being lost to spam. It would only make sense for them to police the traffic on their servers better. They would make more profit by doing so!

The only reasons I can see why ISPs allow virus infected e-mail to lurk on their servers is they don't want to piss off a handful of computer geeks trading proof-of-concept viruses and other malware back and forth between each other. Sorry, but those folks are in the tiny minority. If they suddenly can't send their harmful programs back and forth between each other then tough tittie. I don't have the freedom to snail mail explosives and infectious diseases to other people. So why should those assholes out there have the freedom to do the equivalent digitally?

Anway, if the ISPs would pull their heads out of their asses on this issue and do what I suggest, the spam problem would be solved really quick.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-20-2004 11:47 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A while back, somebody mentioned that, when it comes to the Postal Service, bulk mail permits for regular junk mail go a long way toward keeping regular postage rates down for the average customer. Knowing that, I don't mind getting a certain amount of junk mail. I have a lot of fun putting it through the shredder! [evil]

Now... If there was only some way to make the same principle apply to junk e-mail. If there was a way to enforce a bulk mail permit whereby messages would be rejected at the server level unless the sender (A) Had an account in good standing with the ISP. OR (B) Paid the ISP for the privilege of sending bulk mail through their system.

Then, if the money raised from bulk mail permits was used to make internet service better-faster-cheaper for everybody else I'd be all for it. (Up to a certain point.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: