Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Watching Great "Holiday" Films

Author Topic: Watching Great "Holiday" Films
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-20-2004 09:34 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Today, I watched "March of the Wooden Soldiers" followed by "Hedwig and the Angry Inch", and now "From Dusk Till Dawn"...Afterward, I'm gonna cue up "White Heat" and then Rocky Horror!

God! What a great day to kick back and do NOTHING and watch films! Yikes! Gosh! Life **IS** good! HA!

>>> Phil

|  IP: Logged

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2004 09:58 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[fu] [Wink]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-20-2004 11:07 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
So Mike...not sure what yur point is? You either have to work today, just being an ass, or just jealous of my good looks... [Razz] [Wink] [Big Grin]

>>> Phil

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2004 11:15 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil it was mainly #1... partly #2, and not #3! [Smile]

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2004 04:14 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should also throw in "Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert" to boot...

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-21-2004 07:35 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Bliss of Mrs. Blossom LOL

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2004 07:45 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy olidays

Here in SAGINAW MI, between the two theatres with which I work we had prints of
"White Christmas"
"It's A Wonderful Life"
"Prancer"
"Elf"
"Surviving Christmas"

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-25-2004 07:55 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure to request the VistaVision version of White Christmas. Hehehe.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2004 08:01 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
Last year we had a new print of "White Christmas" and it was very good visually but the sound was muffled. This year we got an old scratched print with several reels printed like "Day for Night". The sound on this pront was pretty muffled as well.

All of the prints had the "Vista Vision" opening logo and the framing cues in the beginning of each reel. (Although I believe that you are talking about the horizontal projection system)

Most reels had one or two frames left after the second changeover mark. Yes, we do use reels and Carbon light.

KEN

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-26-2004 09:22 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
White Christmas was Perspecta Sound, no? Did you present it that way? Did your print have the control tones?

Steve

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-26-2004 09:39 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We ran It's A Wonderful Life Christmas eve in a single show to 780 and Christmas night to 500 in the early show. The best turnouts we've ever had for these showings.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2004 07:50 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil,

Great topic you bring up...

I finally watched "A Christmas Story" for the first time this year...

Also, some other great films I watched..

Requiem for a Dream

Dancing at the Blue Lagoon (anyone else ever see this? - It has Jenneifer Tilly {the reason I watched it} and Daryll Hannah in it)

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2004 08:14 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

I did not hear any low frequency tones on the White Christmas sound track. I don't recall any logo at the credits either as the film made an abrupt end after "The End" title, even the music was cut off.

When I was a lab tech in the EE Department at college, a professor had me build a "Perspecta Sound" like encoding and decoding unit for him. All built with vacuum tubes of the time.
This was back in the 1959 era. The unit was pretty effective at making simulated stereo from MONO LP records.
We never had access to or use for the unit in a cinema setting. Just an experiment to see if the theory worked. And it did.

KEN

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-26-2004 11:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kenneth Wuepper
All built with vacuum tubes of the time.

Ken, most of those tubes you used are also(still)of this time as well.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: