Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Exciter Lamps----What El;se are they Good For? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Exciter Lamps----What El;se are they Good For?
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-23-2004 01:31 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that the red led devices are in, what can a rather dim, high current low voltage bulb be used for?

|  IP: Logged

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2004 01:52 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Build your own robot and use them for eyes!

Or build a snowman and use them for eyes as well. You could decorate a Christmas tree with them. Use them as earrings. screw them on the side of your neck and pretend like your Frankenstien. um....

I think that is about it. [Smile] We just threw ours away.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2004 02:19 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I put them in a box along with the old readers and put them on the shelf next to all the other old useless shit I should throw away but can't because I'm a pack rat.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-23-2004 07:38 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've got 4 left. I put 'em in the parts cabinet on the shelf with parts left from other long gone machines, too obsolete to ever use, but too good to toss.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2004 10:28 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Save 'em. There are still some theaters around my area using exciter lamps.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2004 12:44 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Save your lamps, and old readers. When it is found that red readers along with cyan sound tracks are killing Santa, and the elves, the old stuff will be back [Big Grin] (just kidding). Merry Christmas everyone.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 12-23-2004 05:59 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sell them to people like me that still run them at home....except I have like 5 spares...sorry

JJ

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-23-2004 09:30 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are several venues around here that still use them, some of which will likely not convert for many years, as they only run film occasionally and only show older films when they do. It will probably be many years (if ever) before any significant number of new prints of older titles have dye tracks. In this case, there's no reason to convert. And, should a dye track print show up, I honestly didn't think that a dye track sounded all that bad on a white-light reader; it wasn't optimal, but it wasn't unlistenable, either.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-23-2004 10:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put'em on eBay.

L@@K! RARE OLD-STYLE MOVIE PROJECTOR LAMPS!

These lamps have been used in an ACTUAL MOVIE THEATRE to show BIG SCREEN MOVIES. These are NOT projection lamps but the "sound lamps" that caused the SOUND to appear on the BIG SCREEN. These lamps are DISAPPEARING due to new digital technology appearing in projection booths, so they will become HARDER and HARDER TO FIND. Who knows what kind of classic soundtracks these LAMPS may have illuminated! These lamps may have provided the sound for Gone with the Wind, Titanic, Friday the 13th or any of a thousand unforgettable films! Don't miss out on this chance to own a BIT OF CINEMA HISTORY by bidding on these CLASSIC PROJECTOR LAMPS today!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-23-2004 11:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
So YOU'RE that guy who writes all of the copy on ebay!

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-23-2004 11:18 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't exciter lamps originate as automobile headlights in the 1930's? [Confused]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-24-2004 08:09 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

I dunno but I do have experience with Ford Model-As...1928 - 1931. They did NOT use exciter lamps but more of a conventional looking lamp with a bayonet base. Further more, the Model-A had, running/parking lamps in the main fixture (or in the cowl lamps, if so equipped but never both) as well as high and low beams.

They were not sealed though and the early Model-As (1928-1929) used nickel reflectors that would oxidize.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-26-2004 12:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be funny if everyone in the world gathered them up and shipped them off to Dolby!

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-26-2004 12:27 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
L@@K! RARE OLD-STYLE MOVIE PROJECTOR LAMPS!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] HAAAAAhahahahahaaaa! I'm ROFL!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-27-2004 11:09 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha ha, that's awesome, Mike! [thumbsup] [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: