Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Hit by a car, home from the hospital... ouch that hurt...

Author Topic: Hit by a car, home from the hospital... ouch that hurt...
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 12-27-2004 11:06 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So there I was just getting a ride home from work and BAM hit from behind. I was messed up enough to need an ambulance ride to the hospital, and then spent three hours tied to a board.

I get to spend the next week at home doped up and all kinds of happy.

My time in the ER was a joke. They lost my Xray request and then left me in the hallway. Xrays came back good, but still need to rest up a bit.

Happy new year for dave.. yippee.

has anyone else ever had a nice car wreck requiring a hospital visit and an ambulance ride before? Did the ambulance workers all apear inept and stupid and completely unable to NOT bump you all over the place. Mine had trouble getting me into the ambulance. I mean I know i need to lose wieght but really!

Heres to my dopey... um thats doped up, week.

ciao baby

dave

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-27-2004 11:46 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch. But at least you're OK and you get to be loopy/dopey for a few days. Be well Dave.

I've been in one car wreck and one airplane wreck. Neither required a run to the hospital though I took a night off after the car crash. I had rear-ended someone that had done a panic stop right in front of me, totalling the front of my VW bug. Went home very sore from having bent the steering wheel in half from strong-arming it during the sudden stop plus leaving a chunk of my hair embedded in the windshield.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2004 12:06 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get well soon, Dave.
Never had to ride in an ambulance, but yeah, the health care industry has become more sloppy & unfocussed on the objectives of fixing people up. Watch out for yourself, they're just punching the clock.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2004 12:27 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, Dave! You're like a Timex watch!! Glad to hear you're OK but I can imagine how traumatizing a car wreck can be. I've never been in one, but I'm terrified enough of cars as it is that if I were in one, I'd probably never drive again. It's probably my #1 fear.

My dad got hit by a TRAIN driving his new car home from the dealer in the 60's. It was at a railroad crossing in Chicago with no signals and two sets of tracks that went around a bend. The train passed, so he proceeded across the tracks when here comes another one in the other direction. The only thing left of his car was the seat he was in and the steering wheel he was hanging on to. Literally!

The paramedics get to the accident and first ask, "Where's the body?" then when they realize HE is the body, they get the stretcher out of the ambulance, dropping it twice. He never went to the hospital, feeling safer just staying at home than going with those guys... [Wink]

=TMP=

Rich Granata
Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2004 12:41 PM      Profile for Rich Granata   Email Rich Granata   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm happy your OK. Really.

As for the commentary on the ambulance personnel, it is all really funny. You're all probably right. I used to ride in the ambulance while I was training to be an EMT. There are probably fewer and fewer that care about professionalism. One thing I can say in defence is that MOST are UNPAID. (at least where I am from) They are volunteers. Also for that reason, there is always a shortage of people to do that type of work. They don't get a lot of the glory that Firefighters do.

It was a good experience for me, but I quit to work at the theatre. Now I get paid NEXT TO nothing.

Get well soon.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2004 01:58 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,
Glad you are AOK!!! Car wrecks, to me, are more psychologically damaging than actual physically (at least the few that I've been in). Just get lost of rest and you'll be as good as new soon.

Last year, we had a fleet of Ambulances and police cars that came to my house. They knocked on my door and asked 'where is the man who had a heart attack". I couldn't find my dad in the house anywhere so I was freaked out because I thought he was hurt. So I'm yelling and screaming "what the hell's going on and where is my dad!" at the top of my lungs while the EMT's are searching my house.

So about 2 min. after they arrive, my dad slowly strolls out from behind the house where he was working on the car, no heart attack for him.

Well, to make a long story short... the dispatcher gave the emt's THE WRONG ADDRESS! The guy who actually had the heart attack lived 3 houses down from me! Now can you imagine, waiting for an ambulance because your father or husband is having a heart attack and the cars are stopping at the house 3 doors down from you!?! I heard that they guy was AOK though, thank god (imagine the lawsuit if he wasn't..) and the medical people came back later that night to apologize to me.

Moral of this story: Hope you dont get a crappy dispatcher if you have an emergency!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: