Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How to view PDfs in Internet Explorer

Author Topic: How to view PDfs in Internet Explorer
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2004 02:26 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

When a website has PDFs that I am unable to save onto my desktop directly (as in, you can only open it in a new window), how can I make the browser display it? It usually just shows a blank page with a small "image" image in the corner. The preferences are set to allow viewing in Internet Explorer.

This is Adobe Reader 6.0 and I'm really just trying to view the PDF files on:
http://www.strong-cinema.com/strong_digital/home/

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2004 04:09 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is pretty sneaky, but I found one way of reading Adobe Acrobat files is to get Adobe Acrobat Reader.

It's a free download from Adobe:
Adobe Acrobat Reader

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2004 01:33 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, considering I already ahd it, I was wandering if there was a way to configure it. [Roll Eyes]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-31-2004 02:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say to stop using Internet Explorer. However when I do use that stupid browser I haven't had the problem you are describing.

Can you right click and select "save file"?

Matthew Nock
Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2004 06:14 PM      Profile for Matthew Nock   Email Matthew Nock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,

as is normal procedure with Internet exploder, when a plug-in stops working, you need to uninstall then reinstall the offending app that provides the plug-in. Cause of course, it isnt Micro$oft's fault.

So simply uninstall Acrobat Reader... then close all IE windows, and reinstall Acrobat reader. That will reinstall the plug-in freshly, and all should be rosy again.

You can check to see the that application/x- settings are correct - but the plugin is most likely corrupted.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2005 12:57 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Matthew. I'll try that, but we have dial-up out here in the middle of nowhere, so it's going to take awhile.

And Brad, I usually right click to save it, but sometimes you can't on certain websites, like the one I provided because I think its Java or soemthing like that. I figured out how to cheat it though: I clicked the file, it opened how I described, I copied the link address, pasted it into a temporary .htm file, opened thast file, right clicked and saved, and it worked. It sounds like a lot of work but it wasn't really... Still a hassle though.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-01-2005 01:10 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't you set your browser so it doesn't "know" how to handle a .pdf file and it's forced to ask you what to do? Then you can save it locally. Being on dialup where I would think you'd want to save any .pdf's you view so in case you want to see it again you already have it. Plus you'll be conserving bandwidth for the sender as well. [Wink]

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2005 12:34 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there is a way Steve, I have no idea how to do it, but I think I've seen that done before.

Does anyone know?

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2005 02:44 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can't right-click to save an image, file, whatever because a little box comes up & lectures in a prissy tone: go to your settings, turn the stupid Javascript off, refresh the page, then try it again.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2005 03:55 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What might be happening is that you have an outdated version of Acrobat Reader and therefore it can't read certain newer PDF's....

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2005 04:08 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andrew McCrea
If there is a way Steve, I have no idea how to do it, but I think I've seen that done before.

Does anyone know?

You could dis-associate .pdf files with acrobat reader in the folder options, then choose acrobat when it asks what to open it with.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: