Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Amish Teen Electrocuted in Ohio (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Amish Teen Electrocuted in Ohio
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2005 10:09 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How Ironic

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story.jsp?id=2005011210290001122221&dt=20050112102900&w=APO&coview=

---------------------------------------------------------------------

CHARDON, Ohio (AP) - A 17-year-old Amish boy was electrocuted trying to remove a power line that got tangled in his horse-drawn buggy's wheels, authorities said.

The boy drove over a power line Tuesday that had sagged down within a foot of the road after separating from a pole, authorities said.

The line got stuck in the wheels and stopped the buggy. The boy got out and grabbed the 4,800-volt line in an attempt to remove it from the wheels, the Geauga County Sheriff's office said. He died at the scene.

The boy's name was not released because his family had not all been notified, officials said.

The Amish are a deeply religious group who shun modern conveniences such as electricity, telephones and car ownership. About 40,000 Amish live in Ohio, the most of any state.

The boy was traveling south on a road near Geauga-Trumbull County line in northeast Ohio, about 25 miles east of Cleveland.

The horse pulling the buggy was not injured.

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-12-2005 11:02 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not ALL Amish shun modern inventions.

Amish communities are Presbyterian societies. (Government by elders.) The elders of the family decide how the rest of the group will conduct its business and whether or not to use a certian modern invention.

Some Amish I have known will drive cars... but only the elder men are allowed to drive. Women and children ride in the back. When they drive in the car, they all go as a family. (Or the men will all drive to "work" together.)

I used to sell furniture in a department store. One time I actually sold an Action-Lane sectional sofa to an Amish family. You know. The kind of sofa with the recliners built in.

After the deal was done, (Paid in cash, BTW.) I mentioned to the man that I didn't picture an Amish family buying modern furniture like that. He looked at me with a half-smile and said, "Did you think we all sit around on HAY BAILS all day?"

The kid who got electrocuted must have been from a family that DOESN'T embrace modern inventions. I can't help but wonder if he HAD been brought up around electricity or at least warned about it, would his life been spared because he would have known the dangers?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-12-2005 01:40 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was exactly my thought - more a case of 'how tragic' rather than 'how ironic'.

We're absolutely not into Darwin award territory with this one, because if the boy hadn't been taught what electricity was and how to avoid its dangers, he couldn't have had any way of knowing that trying to disentangle the power line from his cart would kill him.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-12-2005 02:00 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4800V line to line or line to ground? I guess line to ground as that would be the amount of the shock. Would be 8320 line to line then or double the old 2400/4160 standard.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-12-2005 03:33 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they are so "deeply religious", then maybe they will actually learn from that incident, for He has filled all matter with electrons so that man may learn how to move them around and do good deeds and he hath sent punishment to those blasphemous enough to deny and ignore the nature of His creation.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-12-2005 04:29 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked in a school we had something called 'Headstart'. This was where some of the new intake, aged 11' would come in for a week during the Summer holidays to get to know the place before the start of the new academic year.

One year a girl ran out at the end of the day, straight into the road outside, and was hit by a car. Her injuries were fairly minor, but she had to be taken to hospital; I think broken bones were nvolved. The school had difficulty contacting the parents, the mother didn't speak English, I've forgotton what her language was, but there was nobody in the school who spoke it very well. Eventually they managed to contact the father, who did speak English, and who seemed remarkably unconcerned about the fate of his daughter. "We never taught her how to cross a road", he said, "We always take her everywhere by car"

How on Earth can you live in Brixton (busy area of London, with lots of traffic on the roads) and not think that your 11 year old needs to know how to cross a road?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-12-2005 04:40 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How on Earth can you live in Brixton (busy area of London, with lots of English people everywhere) and not speak English?

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-12-2005 05:22 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were quite a lot of people in London then who didn't speak English, not so many today. I don't think I could do it, I learned just enough Russian to get by when I went to Russia, and just enough German when I went to Berlin. I'm hoping to get to China in October, and I'm really not sure how I'm going to manage.

This happened at a time when there was still a lot of immgration to Britain, and Brixton has long been an area where immigrants settled. There were Huganots from France, Catholics from Ireland - rather ironic considering the troubles in Ireland later, Jews from Eastern Europe, then in my day there were Ugandan Asians expelled by IdI Amin, Vietnameese Boat People, and Brxton has a very large carribbean community, but most of them are descended from immigrants who came over in the '50s. It was a bit like New York, or maybe more like New York was in the '20s, people came there from all over the World. Many of the people we had at our school had only recently arrived in the Country. I think there were something like 60 or 70 first languages spoken there at the time.

I got the impression that the father didn't really want his wife or daughter to mix with the 'natives'. This does seem rather strange to me; I don't really understand how he could move to a country that he didn't want to be part of, but then I don't know what the situation was in his home country, or what he may have been escaping from.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-12-2005 05:30 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Stephen's question being rhetorical, but for Michael's there is a rational answer.

I've only been to Brixton once (around this time last year), and although there are indeed lots of English people about, there is also a very large, mainly West African immigrant community in that part of south-east London, a lot of whom do not speak English (or at least, not well enough to hold a 'phone conversation with a native English speaker). Having grown up not a million miles from Brixton, I can well believe the communication problem... but NOT that any responsible father who drives could have failed to teach his daughter that running into roads is not compatible with staying alive.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-12-2005 05:59 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, gentlemen. My question was mostly rhetorical-sarcastic though. I figured as much as Stephen said here
quote: Stephen Furley
I got the impression that the father didn't really want his wife or daughter to mix with the 'natives'. This does seem rather strange to me; I don't really understand how he could move to a country that he didn't want to be part of, but then I don't know what the situation was in his home country, or what he may have been escaping from.
and that's what my sarcasm was aimed at. Whatever they have escaped from, it apparently wasn't England, so why shouldn't they be able to communicate with the people among which they live?
I know the same situation from Berlin too.
Where I right now there are tons of people who speak little or no English and don't seem to think that's a problem. That hasn't so much to do with the fact that it is too difficult to learn the new language, at least a little bit after some time. They also don't have to integrate themselves to the point where they would lose their cultural identity. What I find sad is the very active self-segregation they generally practice, and with many immigration groups you can also see that it is indeed the wifes and daughters that they don't want to have any contact with the "natives".
I am also not surprised that Steven said the father didn't seem too worried. I have seen that many times myself from certain immigrant groups in Berlin. If the son has an accident, they cry their lungs out, if something happens to the daughter, oh, well, shit happens, she is only a girl anyway. That makes me sick.
And Stephen, nobody expects you to know Russian or German or Kirgisian, even if you visit there occasionally. But if you actually emigrated to another country, wouldn't you try to learn the language?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-12-2005 07:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Kraus
4800V line to line or line to ground? I guess line to ground as that would be the amount of the shock. Would be 8320 line to line then or double the old 2400/4160 standard.

WTF! Ya got to be kidding....... I vote for that to be the stupid statement of the day [Roll Eyes] . Thats about the equivelent of asking what chicken bone someone choked to death on. I ask that you go there with your VOM and let us all know.....

The kid was very tragically killed by what was alot of voltage from what ever line he touched, k.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-12-2005 07:50 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Calm down Mark. That kid would have been killed even by 120 vac.

I agree it was a failure of their beliefs that was responsible for the kid's death. If he knew the dangers, he probably wouldn't have rode over the wire in the first place.

Steve, I'm sure if the reporter was remotely accurate, it was L-N...ground. Most distribution is delta but in local neighborhood distribution it's usually "Y" with, as you mention, 8.3kV L-L and 4.8kV on a single leg to gnd (or 13.2kV/7.6kV) then the pole peg drops it to 240/120.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-12-2005 11:53 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some people have a difficult time appreciating wry irony.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-13-2005 04:31 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought my comments just below Steve's were far more tasteless and insensitive. But maybe Mark didn't react to these as strongly as to Steve's because that's what he would have expected from me anyway...

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-13-2005 04:34 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
And Stephen, nobody expects you to know Russian or German or Kirgisian, even if you visit there occasionally. But if you actually emigrated to another country, wouldn't you try to learn the language?
And what makes it so bizarre here is that research has shown that we get a much higher proportion of economic migrants than most other EU countries precisely because of the universality of the English language: either because migrants speak it in the first place (which obviously wasn't the case here) or because they figure that learning English will be a greater economic and professional asset than another European language.

But the fact remains that, as Stephen's anecdote shows, there are significant sections of some communities in which English is not used or understood very much - and sometimes among second generations, too. The reasons for that, IMHO, would have to drag politics in, hence no further elaboration.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: