Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Britain's Prince Harry apologizes after pictured in Nazi uniform despite topic change (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Britain's Prince Harry apologizes after pictured in Nazi uniform despite topic change
Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2005 07:24 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would have been funnier if he had walked around that party yelling at people, "NO SOUP FOR YOU!!" [Smile] But anyway... What the hell was he thinking?!?!?!

Copyrights are an illusion, so here's the article:
-----

Britain's Prince Harry apologizes after pictured in Nazi uniform

LONDON (AFP) - Britain's Prince Harry apologized after he was pictured on the front page of The Sun newspaper in a Nazi soldier's uniform which he wore to a fancy dress party.

Thursday's edition of the Sun features Prince Harry, younger son of Britain's Prince Charles and the late Princess Diana, wearing the uniform with an armband showing a swastika, emblem of the Nazi Party.

A spokeswoman for the royal family who was contacted by AFP read a statement of apology.

"I am very sorry if I caused any offense or embarrassment to anyone. It was a poor choice of costume and I apologize," Prince Harry said in the statement.

A source close to the royal family said the party took place sometime after January 1.

Doug Henderson, Labour MP for Newcastle upon Tyne North and a former armed forces minister, said Prince Harry should not now be allowed to become a British Army officer.

"After the revelations this evening I don't think this young man is suitable for Sandhurst," the army officer training school, he said.

"If it was anyone else the application wouldn't be considered. It should be withdrawn immediately," he said.

The Board of Deputies of British Jews welcomed the apology, according to Sky television.

"We're gratified that the prince has apologized. The incident was in bad taste, especially in the runup to the holocaust memorial day, which the royal family will play a leading role in commemorating," it said.

Holocaust memorial day is marked on January 27, the day in 1945 when the Soviet army liberated Auschwitz, the most infamous of the Nazi World War II concentration camps.

[ 01-12-2005, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-12-2005 07:36 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guess what's wrong with this topic, Thomas. After that, fix it.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2005 08:20 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, dunno.

If it's because of a teaser title, it's not. It's in German.

Unless you mean that by mentioning Nazi, you can tell who I voted for which makes this thread political....

I dunno. I'll either take Gilbert Goddfried for the block, or I'd like to buy a vowel.

=TMP=

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-12-2005 08:30 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked your German and even then it is still a teaser title. However unless you haven't noticed, the language of this forum is English.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-12-2005 09:43 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw Brad, why did you go and edit it for him? I was just gonna lock it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-12-2005 10:18 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This gives me another reason to ban him in the future, of course. [evil]

You can always lock it though.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-12-2005 10:34 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Leave the thread...lock Tom up... in handcuffs of course... [Wink]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2005 12:49 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there no pics to prove this story is true? I want to see. [Razz]

Phil,
good idea about chaining up Tom. When you do that, be sure to take pics.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2005 03:22 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BBC online have the picture here

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-13-2005 04:26 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Thomas Procyk
What the hell was he thinking?!?!?!
He wasn't thinking. Just like he didn't think when he whacked a photographer over the head with his own camera, threw up out of the window of his limo in Central London one afternoon in full view of tourists, workers and everyone and got blind drunk and trashed a pub after some polo match once. The guy's a yob; not thinking appears to be his problem, which it makes it a tad scary that he's about to start training to be an Army officer... [Eek!]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-13-2005 04:43 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Prince Harry has apologised for any offence or embarrassment he has caused. He realises it was a poor choice of costume."
Like the knight in "Last Crusade" said: "He chose...poorly."
That's what happens if people keep marrying each other's cousins for generations. Particularly "poor" choice of costume considering there wouldn't even be a British monarchy to produce degenerate princes if FDR hadn't helped them out back then.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2005 05:03 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
but this was a private party at a friend's, wasn't it? was he expecting to end up on the front page of the sun? of course, it's probably rule #1 for a royal to always behave as if expecting to be photographed, but it's not like it was a public appearance.

and the whole idea of a costume party is that you dress up as something that you're not. the theme was "colonial and native", which seems like dangerous ground no matter which way you slice it. well ok, i guess william pulled it off with the lion.

remember that photo of william trying on the crown and uh... royal robe thingy with nothing else on? that looked pretty darn embarrassing. but he thought he was in private, apparently. sometimes they let their guard down. maybe they're people.

carl

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2005 06:43 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
That's what happens if people keep marrying each other's cousins for generations.
Or maybe it's something hereditary from that Teutonic totty they keep messing with.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-13-2005 07:06 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
Particularly "poor" choice of costume considering there wouldn't even be a British monarchy to produce degenerate princes if FDR hadn't helped them out back then.
And also because those very same Nazis he seems to think are so cool bombed his own grandmother, killed one of his great uncles and killed or injured hundreds of thousands of the people for whom the royal family is supposed to act as a figurehead.

quote: Carl Martin
but this was a private party at a friend's, wasn't it? was he expecting to end up on the front page of the sun? of course, it's probably rule #1 for a royal to always behave as if expecting to be photographed, but it's not like it was a public appearance.
Granted, but this idiot's moronic behaviour is paid for out of our taxes. If he was a private individual spending his own money on going to that party then I wouldn't defend the public interest. But as a senior member of the royal family whose lifestyle is funded out of the public purse, he has responsibilities that the rest of us don't. If he doesn't want those responsibilites, he could always abdicate any direct role in public life and earn his own living. Prince Edward was told to make that choice a couple of years ago: either you can run a TV production company making shite programmes for not-very-reputable cable stations (in which case, you can earn your own living), or you can be a full-time member of the royal family, going on official engagements and so on, but not both. It's time for Prince Harry to make a similar decision, IMHO.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-13-2005 07:26 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd think with the Germans running England for hundreds of years that unpleasantness of the last mid century could have been avoided. [Confused]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: