Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Browser and Chat programs

Author Topic: Browser and Chat programs
Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2005 05:24 PM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I assumed that this would be the best place to put this. I know that Film-Tech.com supports something other than IE, and I respect that a lot. IE is the worst ever, personally. I have come to like Mozilla the best, and i have found that it is awesome against spy ware, pop ups, cookie management, and temporary Internet files. Mainly, I want to know what everyone here has to say about the browser that they prefer and why.

Also, I would like to ask about the chat program that Film-Tech uses. I personally like X-Chat, but the sad thing is, I can't use it for here. Has there ever been the thought of using a chat program such as X-Chat, mIRC, Trillian and so on so forth? I use Trillian too as it can be used for Yahoo, AIM, MSN, ICQ, and IRC without bogging my computer processes down.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-15-2005 05:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that Firefox finally has mouse gestures available, I have ditched Opera and switched over 100% to Firefox. I have yet to find a website that Firefox does not work 100% with.

ALL future website work will be verified with Firefox. If it happens to work with other browsers (most probably), then great. If not, switch your butt over to Firefox!

Download the Firefox browser for free here.

Download Firefox mouse gestures plugin here.

Once installed, do the following tweeks...
1.Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining
network.http.proxy.pipelining
network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows:

Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-15-2005 06:39 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent tips, Brad! Also I'm not sure if Firefox requires this or not, but after making Brad's changes I recommend quitting and then restarting the browser for the changes to take effect. When Firefox self-installs the mouse-gestures, it wants you to restart the browser, so I am assuming this will, too. Just make all changes at once and then you'll only have to restart once.

Note: These changes are the same for the Mac version as well as the PC version. The mouse gestures can also be installed cross-platform without worries. Firefox kicks ass!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-15-2005 06:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried the network tweeks yet Joe? It makes a phenomenal difference. [Smile]

and yeah, you do have to close and restart the browser. Forgot about that!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-15-2005 06:57 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I did try the network tweaks, but I have only visited Film-Tech so far with them. My Firefox is generally pretty damned fast anyway since it is optimized especially for the G4 (very special version). There is also a G5 optimized version somewhere.

EDIT: After cruisin' da web for a few, yes, the tweaks do make it noticeably faster.

Also, about Firefox (at least the Mac version anyway), be sure to clear your history every once in awhile. If it fills up too much and you click the "GO" menu for any reason, it will really bog down. This will return all your viited links to look non-visited, but who cares? I have yet to test ths with the Windows version, I will try. It takes awhile to build up, though.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-16-2005 12:10 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe graciously made us an instructional / download page for Firefox.

click here

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2005 02:01 AM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HOLY HELL!

that network tweak makes a huge difference. THANKS GUYS! I'm on a lowly dial-up line at the house 'cause I'm cheap/broke and this'll breathe new life into my online experience. [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2005 02:30 AM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I don't know why, but when FireFox came out, I downloaded it, and it worked fine for a while. I downloaded a few skins cause I didn't like the original, and now I can't even download and install it. I give me a really weird error. And I've deleted all the files that are associated with it. I've done a search for all the files, and deleted them so that the skins were deleted. It still dosen't work trying to download it fresh.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-16-2005 04:13 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like a question for Daryl. One of these days maybe he will resurface and someone will hear from him again.

When all else fails, format and reload Windows!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-16-2005 06:53 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three cheers for Lynx!

(actually, I'm posting this from Mozilla)

Internet Explorer? What's that?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: