Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Why is the Mississipi State Tax Commission closed today? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Why is the Mississipi State Tax Commission closed today?
James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2005 01:41 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a long distance number for most of us, but you get a good laugh.
It's like a 2 for 1 deal.

601-923-7000

|  IP: Logged

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2005 01:46 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the funniest thing I ever heard!

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2005 03:34 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what more do you expect from Mississippi?

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2005 04:09 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I agree, what kind of moron's would celebrate Martin luther king Jr's birthday. Bunch of frikin idiots.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2005 11:27 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, I love the reply Chris.
Especially with that out of place apostrophe!

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-18-2005 12:04 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Oh! I feel a controversy coming on and an ultimate closing of this thread.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-18-2005 01:45 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody needs to record whatever is on the other end of that phone line and post it so we can all get the joke. Otherwise we will lock the thread, BAN James AND Thomas Procyk just for good measure.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-18-2005 04:35 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
da fone call

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2005 07:14 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Virginia would not ratify MLK Day when it came up for vote unless they could add Stonewall Jackson and Robert E Lee. They call it Lee/ Jackson/ King Day. Only in Virginia can celebrate a black leader's birthday with 2 confederates. You know it is bad when they have a town called LYNCHburg. You gotta love the south... [Roll Eyes]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2005 07:19 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, mystery smaller. Robert E. Lee's birthday (Jan. 19) is a longtime state holiday in GA, MS, & AL (that I know of), & when Martin Luther King's birthday (January 15) was made a state holiday, with the scheme of moving holidays to the nearest Monday, both holidays ironically became observed on the same day. Except GA, which moved the Robert E. Lee holiday to November, ask them why. Generally they're called the Martin Luther King/Robert E. Lee holiday, & it's thought-provoking.

In Alabama & Mississippi, it's officially per the wording of the act passed in the state legislatures the Martin Luther King/Robert E. Lee state holiday. Giving Robert E. Lee top billing in the announcement could be either an oversight by the person who recorded or scripted the recording, or a little display of sneering deniable bigotry somewhere in the line.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2005 10:51 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The link Mike posted cuts off after, "Hello, you've re...."

Someone should ban Joe Redifer and inform him that Black & White photographs are obsolete and anyone who claims to use them for "artistic effect" is simply cojuring an excuse for being cheap and unimaginative. [Razz]

=TMP=

Ed Inman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2005 12:56 PM      Profile for Ed Inman   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Inman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is ironic to officially celebrate the King/Lee holidays jointly but I guess it was the best compromise the state Legislature could come up with at the timein the 1980s. Most people today simply know it as MLK day but some Confederate history organizations still celebrate Lee's birthday as well.

For whatever it's worth the state still officially celebrates the historic Confederate Memorial Day (we sometimes jokingly call it Confederate Christmas) and Jefferson Davis' birthday as well (which was later combined with "National" Memorial Day).

http://www.mscode.com/free/statutes/03/003/0007.htm

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-18-2005 12:58 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is there a Lee holiday? Didn't he lose the war for the Southern States?

Ed Inman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2005 12:59 PM      Profile for Ed Inman   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Inman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2005 03:07 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Mike, you just saved my life!
Thomas, I was able to download it and play it just fine.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: