Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » popcorn bob sez: GCCWMP7 Sucks!! (they really do)

Author Topic: popcorn bob sez: GCCWMP7 Sucks!! (they really do)
Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2005 12:38 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was surfing the web when I came across this little gem. Apparently an old website dating back before 2000 put up by a disgruntled General Cinema employee. It's a fun read, especially the part about GCC going bankrupt to keep him silent. Oh, and all the damage he did to the company by stealing over 20 customer pamphlets. [Roll Eyes]

anti-GCC West Market Plaza Website

In case you're wondering, no, it's not me. I've never been to Ohio. [Razz]

=TMP=

---------------------------
HOME
::This site is about why General Cinema sucks.
I had a site at gccwmp7.com which is the domain name they'd probably want. I used to work at the Montrose (Akron), OH GCC Theater. I liked working there until about three months from when I was fired. The managers there (well 3 of them) were all dicks. I especially hate the regional manager, Mr. Hodgkiss. What an asshole. You need to hear the story, though, before you can say what I say.

Please use the links at the top to read the story. I have used either fake names or the first initial to keep it legal, cause knowing GCC, they'd go bankrupt to keep me silent.

THE STORY
I'm gonna rewrite the story soon.

Basically, I got a job at GCC one summer, and by the next I was fired. I had a website then, just as I do now, and had written on it that some of the products sold at the concession stand at GCC were out-dated and besides, overpriced. This made the General Manager pretty upset, and eventually he decided to fire me, of course after the police called me on his behalf to 1) tell me to remove the 'allegations' from my website and 2) don't go back into work before calling the GM to check my schedule. I did call, and was told that I wasn't on the schedule, but that he wanted to attempt to insult a 16 year old kid (me) by making me sit through an 'exit interview'. I of course figured this was standard practice, as this was my first job, and as he tried to humiliate me by sounding 'legal' at said interview, it was all in vain. This website still exists... anyway I'll get the words straight one day and post the long version of the story... it's quite humorous how much I can recall from my time at GCC.

MISC. FACTS
::Miscelaneous facts about GCC West Market Plaza 7
The theater is officially unit 0927 of GCC.
The theater has 1 projectionist, who only works every so often- when he's not working, an underqualified manager does his work.
A lot of the candy, popcorn, and pop served at the theater are outdated. The answer to this is "well there's no complaints, so don't worry about it"...unacceptable practice if you ask me.
Many people, mostly kids, like to say they lost money in the videogame machines in the lobby. The money paid to them is never reported in the nightly statement and is a complete loss to the company.
When you buy a popcorn, you are paying for the bag it comes in. This goes for soda and any other 'made when ordered' concession. The bucket is worth 2.1¢ or less to the company but costs you upwards of $5.75- also, the 'butter flavored topping' is actually made of vegetable oil, margerine, salt, and water.
When the ticket taker takes your ticket, the blue half is put into the box, usually into the right slot. At the end of the night, the tickets are bagged up and saved for up to 3 months in the case of a much needed audit.
Coming in from the main entrance, past the ticket taker, to the left are theaters 1, 2, and 3, from left to the back of the hall respectively- there are two secrets about this hallway: 1- the first door on your right is the breakroom and can be opened using the 5-button 'key' on the doorknob- if the topmost is 'a' then the one to it's left is 'e'...the code is: a, a+b, ; and 2- past the restrooms is a door that's usually unlocked; it leads to the other side of the building, into theater 4, in fact. You can stay all day using this door!...
The ticket-taker's ticket box is NOT locked. Open it if you want and take the tickets!!
The theater used to have instructional material for new employees...until I asked to take them home and NEVER BROUGHT THEM BACK! I still got em!

OTHER STUFF
::Other Stuff
Well I didn't go out in vain. I've put together a little collection of 'other stuff' about my work at General Cinema West Market Plaza 7.

Stuff I Stole:
while working at gccwmp7 I got my hands on a few things:
-one manual for every job description; ticket-taker/usher, concession stand, and cashier (box-office) - 3 total.
-about 50 various pamphlets about the company for internal company use.
-about 20 pamphlets for patrons: 10 are for sound systems ("Sound Facts") and the others are for movie ratings ("Movie Ratings System")
-one fluorescent light fixture/menu and two extra fluorescent lights (total of 4)

Stuff I didn't mean to do when I did it but now realize it was good:
-once they let me make the popcorn and I accidentally used too much popcorn salt. they never actually instructed me on how to make it and just told me to do it. anyways, I ended up making ~45 bags (2 bags can usually fill the popcorn bin and one bin can sell for as much as $2,750.00 (if sold right, of course)...) of oversalted popcorn. they had to re-do the popcorn and I'm sure it ended up costing them much more than the $2,750.00 it could have made. I was sorry at the time but of course, now I'm not!

------------------
Picture from the site:
 -

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2005 03:07 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been to that site in a long time Thomas. Found it long ago looking for clips of the Candy Band. Unfortunately, the links for his clips don't work. Bummer...I have the trailer on 35mm, but I'd love to have something I could throw on a DVD.

AJG

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: