Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Dumb Public?

Author Topic: Dumb Public?
Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2005 03:10 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the movie going public is really dumber than I remember. We get our fair share of rain here in the Puget Sound area (but not nine months of the year as some would have you believe). It was drizzling the other day when I drove up to the theatre and there was a line stretching from the boxoffice out into the parking lot street and people were standing in that drizzle while the sidewalk - under cover - was empty. I had been told our customers often do this but did not believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. What's with this?

|  IP: Logged

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2005 04:38 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think you answered your question with your subject heading.
[Big Grin]

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2005 05:01 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen this too. The only thing that I can think of is that people standing in line tend to be greedy SOBs and will have no problem cutting in if someone isn't right behind the person in front of them. Have you ever tried to break a que line and have it start again somewhere else (to clear an exit, neighboring business front door, etc?) That's always a confusing proposition.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-19-2005 05:30 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the Regal theater here, the box office is close to the parking lot, with only maybe 8 feet of sidewalk frontage, then it's parking lot. But the sidewalk runs the entire length of the complex, which must be 200 feet. People usually line up straight into the parking lot, blocking cars and risking their own lives, instead of lining up along the sidewalk.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 01-19-2005 05:46 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After a hurricane a couple years ago the electricity was out. Not a light on anywhere for about 20 blocks. They lined up at the box office in the dark to buy tickets, some were pissed because we were closed. Morons-all. No, that's an insult to morons.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-19-2005 10:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a bar next door, but on the other side is a flower shop with a nice wide open patio-like area in the front. Whenever we have a line, they inevitably snake back towards the bar, so there are little kids and family groups standing in front of the bar with the drunks coming and going. [Roll Eyes]

Edwin Schwing
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2005 03:25 AM      Profile for Edwin Schwing   Email Edwin Schwing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the movie going public goes to the movie, they leave their brain at home. I swear, they unscrew their skull, pull out their brain, and put in on the dresser (or wherever..)

John Q. walks in, asks what time the movie is, Doesn't know if they have a student ID or is a Senior. They don't even know what movie they want to see until they get to front of the line to buy their tickets. Then they ask again what time the movie starts.

They have thier tickets. "where is the bathroom? which theatre?"

They go to the concession stand. "you have popcorn?" "you want to know WHICH soda (pop) I want?

Which theatre? Where is the bathroom?

The patrons finally are seated, watching their movie... They come out to get a refil, or to go to the bathroom..... "where is the bathroom?" "which soda (pop)?" "which theatre?"

Then finally after all of that, you have to tell them to LEAVE!

And THAT, my dear, IS a Dumb Public.

E

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 01-20-2005 07:14 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People are stupid, I hope I never become one.

Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2005 09:18 AM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of no electricity... My old theater was next to a substation and our power always went out during storms. The idiots would come up to the completely dark theater and ask to buy tickets, then when we couldn't print them they would get pissy and through a huge fit.

I also LOVED when customer would come our of dark auditoriums into a hallway lit only by emergency lights and with a totally straight face ask, "Did the power go out?" or "Are you going to turn it back on?"...yeah..let me go flip the switch that we have upstairs..*sigh*

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-20-2005 10:35 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to give the customer a half-point of credit on that one. Although it was poorly phrased, he did ask a valid question.

What (I believe) he was really asking was, "Are we experiencing a widespread blackout or did a fuse blow somewhere inside the theater?"

Remember, most people have no idea what it takes to supply power to a large commercial building. As far as they are concerned, you simply go to the basement and flip the breaker back on. They don't know what a power distribution panel is for, nor do they understand that, if the power goes out in a commercial building, it's likely to be something serious.

Top it all off with the fact that YOU spend your every waking moment in that building but the customer MIGHT spend a couple-three hours inside that building in a YEAR. The poor guy was sitting in his seat, watching a movie and minding his own business when he was jolted back to reality by the screen suddenly going black and the emergency light system coming on. It'd take some time for the daze to wear off.

This is the reason why people who own or work in theaters should take their emergency response measures seriously... VERY seriously... Because when you come right down to it, customers ARE dumb. You have to think like a dumb customer or else people will get killed.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 01-21-2005 07:32 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had the power go out during movies before. I had all of my employees trained on emergency response, and each auditorium was assigned one member of the staff as its er rep.

When the power went out, each person would very quickly grab a flashlight and head into the auditorium to inform them of the blackout, to please remain seated for thier safety until we have any further information.

I would run upstairs to the booth and flip all the switches to the power for the projectors and sound booth, last thing you want is power coming on and blowing your sound racks out or movies starting with no bulb on.

We would have no questions after that.

Worked every time..

ciao baby

dave

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-21-2005 07:43 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I find it amazing that y'all think "they" are the dumb public when they come into your biz place that you know so well and ask "silly" questions.

I bet they say the same about y'all when *you* ask dumbass questions where they work...

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2005 09:19 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, my thoughts exactly... when I worked retail at Target for many years, I got "dumb" questions from "dumb" people all the time, but after I left retail and became "one of them" again, I realized that most weren't really dumb.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-22-2005 06:55 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert E. Allen
I had been told our customers often do this but did not believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. What's with this?
People in crowds have sort of a lemming mentality, and follow the mass. One goes, so do the others. I've noticed similar behavior in my big rig. People will come down the left lane at a good enough clip to pass me, but then they mysteriously slow down and stick right on the end of my trailer. Just enough in the way that I can't change lanes without hitting them. I speed up, they speed up; I slow down, they slow down. Like there's a friggin' magnet on my tandems or something!

And they don't even realize how much danger they're in doing that, yet it happens all day long! That, and passing me on the right, or trying to come around me on the right while I'm making a turn at an intersection! It's beyond me how stupid people are who do that. They haven't a clue that I can't SEE them on my blind side, and that they can easily be crushed! Even before I started driving a truck, I didn't do that!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-22-2005 09:54 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OOH!! That pisses me off and I don't even drive a truck!! [Mad]

If you're going to pass a truck, PASS IT, dammitt!

I think it's because they are afraid. They're clipping along just a bit faster than the truck but when they get up along side they get freaked out and just freeze up. They don't know what to do.

People like that should just get in the right lane and drive at the speed limit and let others pass.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: