Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » An Exciting New School Year at ASU-East 2005!

Author Topic: An Exciting New School Year at ASU-East 2005!
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2005 11:37 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that all of those FT members attending college have a great semester!

Here in the Manufacturing Engineering Technology Department at ASU-East, an exciting new program has been implemented, which I am VERY fortunate to be part of!

First of all, our program, which is one of the oldest in the nation, was just reacredited by ABET, YEA!

But even more exciting is a newly structured pilot program which should hopefully be a huge success. And if it is, other Universities around the country might adopt the concept! And this concept is being funded by the Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME) and others in industry.

Anyhow, the MET program has been turned into an internal corporation, so to speak, with the goal of producing a viable product within a two year period.

One of our faculty members, a person with enormous industry and academic experience is the corporation CEO, and the Grad (Masters Degree) students are the bosses.

Anyhow, there are 6 semester classes involved with this project...which is producing a turbocharger for a 4 cylinder Toyota Engine.

The 6 classes include process planning, pattern making/casting, tool and fixture design, machining, inspection, testing, etc....

How best to simulate a real world situation? Not only are students divided into teams in each class, but different classes must also work with one another. Basically, everyone needs to work together, and if one team or class fails, then everyone fails.

Our available resources are also wonderful, as we can also rely on local industry for advice, assistance, etc. Plus, SME and industry well be tracking our progress. And students will make formal presentations to faculty and industry for evaluation; industry will evaluate the final product.

So, this semester I am in 2 of the six classes...process planning and casting/pattern making, in which we will be producing the turbocharger housings.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: