Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Edazz fraud

Author Topic: Edazz fraud
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-21-2005 05:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as a general heads up to the fine folks here, I made an online purchase to a company by the name of Edazz. Their website is www.str8buy.com

The item turned out to be out of stock and I received an email immediately notifying me that they were cancelling the order since they could not ship the item purchased. To quote a line from their email....

quote:
We are unable to process your order, for the item is OUT of STOCK. You will not be billed, neither have the order in back order.
Well, the next day they DID charge my credit card and I had to file paperwork with the bank for fraud and deal with the upcoming newly issued card.

As if that wasn't bad enough, my email to "customer service" bounced back with...

quote:
This account has been disabled or discontinued [#102].
So everyone make a note to stay away from these people! [Eek!]

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2005 11:10 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy they sure sound like crooks alright. Definitely would be an excellent idea to stay away from them.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-21-2005 11:30 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is their Philosphy.

quote:
At STR8BUY we believe the customer is the most important aspect of our business via email or over the phone

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-21-2005 12:59 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes buying stuff online from unfamiliar companies with aggressive pricing is kind of scary. The first time I ordered something from ZipZoomFly.com, I kept my fingers crossed that I wasn't gonna get screwed (I didn't).

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-21-2005 02:18 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
My problem is that I ordered 3 Viewsonic Q190mb monitors and one arrived blurry so I sent it back. The store I bought it from was out of stock and it is a discontinued model. So I have been re-purchasing that third monitor now from just about any vendor that has it so I have a matched set...but EVERYONE is out of stock!

There really should be some sort of law preventing people from accepting an order (and your credit card number) if they do not have the item to ship.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-21-2005 03:10 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how many people who got that 'you will not be billed' email thought that was that and didn't bother to check their credit card statements (especially if they'd ordered low value items)? If this was a deliberate scam rather than just a cockup resulting from a company being in the process of going bust, the perpetrators might have been raking it in for some time before you blew the whistle on them.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2005 03:05 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I bought a replacement motherboard from str8buy.com almost 2 years ago. It was the ONLY thing I have ever ordered off the internet. Of course like you, my motherboard was out of stock, the order was canceled, BUT they still had credit card info.

Months later, my wife noticed AOL was charging us twice a month for two accounts. When we called to check on it, I found out I was a victim of "Indentity theft" and it got really messy.

We had people ordering stuff with our credit card number to all places of the world. Litterally placing orders with companies in China, Africa, Austrailia, New Zealand, and Guam. They (the theif's) even tried to have a credit report for me sent to them, of course paying for it with my credit card. Since my credit card number was actually a Visa Check Card that drafts from our checking account, it caused checks to bounce, actual card swipes to be declined, etc.

I took almost a year and a half to get that mess cleaned up.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: