Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Thinking of relocating...

Author Topic: Thinking of relocating...
Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2005 03:04 PM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm throwing around the idea of relocating to either Boston, or possibly Portland, OR. I know there are a few people here who post from both those places & I'm curious as to what the "job situation" is like, in regards to projectionists, both union & non.

Sorry if this isn't the proper forum for this.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-24-2005 09:22 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about the current job outlook, but good luck finding a place to live in Boston. My company moved me there, and ended up paying for us to live in a hotel for 3 months (at over $100/day) before we finally found a place.

Oh, yes... you can expect to pay over $1,000/mo. to live in a ratty 100 year-old basement with no central heat or air conditioning. And for every apartment you fill out an application, you will be applying with 50 other people trying to get the same room. They have all the land locked there and allow very little new housing, creating a crunch (probably intentionally). We ended up finding a place 40 miles from Boston, 6 miles from the Connecticut state line. That was the closest we could get.

That being said, I met some of the nicest people I've ever known while I was in Massachusetts.

Don Cross
Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2005 10:53 PM      Profile for Don Cross   Email Don Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me first briefly cover something you may have overlooked; the cost of moving- especially if your going to Portland. The cost of a professional mover would be well into the thousand (basically per room); although it should be noted that moving companies basically go by weight and distance. A move via Uhual would almost be well above 1k especially with the mileage and the fuel to fill up a vehicle that doesn't get much in the way of mpg.

Personally I'd go for the Portland deal. The market there is considerably better unless your going to be eventually going for: investment banking, insurance, or an education profession.
In Portland the standard of living os considerably better, the job market in general is much better, etc..

Do a side by side comparison and take a look at the numbers. Also take an online glance at the local papers and newscasts to get a better idea of both locations. You may even want to post a few resumes to both cities to see what takes the bite. If you elect to go with the resume deal, try hard NOT to post your resume on a place like careerbuilder or monster.

I'm aware that I basically didn't answer any of your questions (directly) that you asked in your above post; just though these issues would help to steer you in the proper direction,

Happy hunting!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-24-2005 11:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I moved to SLC about 8 years ago it cost me about 2500 for U-Haul rentals. I moved in three stages bringing what I needed the most in my PIckup and the largest U-Haul trailer, then moved the rest in two more trips over a years time. You may or no have a place to store your stuff thats not imediately needed but if you do its a good way to move to a new location.... if things don't work out then the move back wonn't kill you. I've been here about 8 years now...... Best thing I did was move out of the midwest area [thumbsup] !

Mark

Don Cross
Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2005 12:13 AM      Profile for Don Cross   Email Don Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just naturally curious Mark, but what part of the midwest did you move away from? If you wouldn't mind a bit of armtwisting, what was one of the major things that you didn't like about it?

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2005 09:45 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Portland is ok. Many theaters are operated by Regal Cinemas with a couple of Century Theaters too. The regional independent operator is Mcmenamins brew/pub theaters. There are a very few independently owned theaters. Scott Hicks' American Cinema Equipment (a dealer) is there in Portland, too.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-26-2005 10:04 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Don Cross
Just naturally curious Mark, but what part of the midwest did you move away from? If you wouldn't mind a bit of armtwisting, what was one of the major things that you didn't like about it?

I lived in St. Charles, IL for many years, before that closer to Chicago but never in it. Spent enough time downtown working though. I serviced theatres in Wisconsin, Northern IL., and Northern Indiana. I never liked the humidity and all the traffic congestion and figured that if I was going to be in this buisness and really enjoy it that it would be nice to at least be driving through scenic areas and enjoying that. After I worked on my last film gig I took a trip out here to see this area.... I had been to Montana and some of these states before but never spent much time in any of them. I toured Utah over a few week period and fell in love with all its wonders plus I was able to find a job here in SLC while on that trip... went back to St. Charles for a couple of weeks, packed my stuff and moved here.... that simple. Never regretted it and only went back to the old stomping grounds to get the rest of my stuff....Now I drive thorugh more scenic country on my service trips than one can even imagine, the people I work with are a real hoot as well!

Mark

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2005 10:57 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Huh, thats interesting to hear you say that Mark. Being from western Pennsylvania, I actually like Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin. It seems as if that part of the Midwest around Chicago is growing and doing quite well. I guess each is his own. One thing I noticed from my perspective are lots of colleges and universities in Illinois . . . possible job prospects. But, alas, you are right, nothing can beat the inter-mountain west. Aside from costal California, it has to be some of the most beautiful land on this continent.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-26-2005 03:31 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually there are as many, perhaps more Colleges in Utah alone as there are back in Illinois!! University of Utah, and Utah State are two of the finest Colleges in the U.S., not to mention BUY..... with Uof U having one of the best medical schools in the country. Utah state has a fine aeronautical design engineering school and they produced the only reliable flying replica of the original Wright Flyer. I got so I couldn't stand the humidity back in that area and all in all its not healthy. Out here the air is very dry and temperature extremes do not feel as drastic as they duid back there. I rarely wear a heavy coat in the winter except for long outside periods, I normally just wear a sweat shirt. Yes, there is alot of buisness we do at the Universities. BYU has a huge film program as does U of U.

Heck, I figured that I would be in this buisness the rest of my life so I might as well enjoy all the driving around that is associated with the job. There is rarely any traffic congestion and here in SLC you can be to any part of town in under 30 min. Not so in the Chicago area where I sometimes spent half the day just traveling..... I also do the same out here but in a half a day I can go great distances and see alot in the process. Plus I have also found out that I really love the desert areas!

Mark

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-26-2005 03:35 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew a technician who once told me he had done some service work in the Chicago area. His name was Paul Brown. He passed away a few years ago.

Don Cross
Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2005 04:47 PM      Profile for Don Cross   Email Don Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Mark, you may or may not be correct about the Wright Flier.

Theres an officer presently in the USAF who formerly worked on the Predator unmanned aircraft who designed, built, and even made two fully operational scale flying models of aircraft that the Wright Brothers used. One of which is still fully operational; the other seems to have came across misfortune- ie extremely hard damaging "landing".

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-26-2005 08:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I meant was the onloy one to really fly on the 100th aniversary. If you watch the History Channel docu about it you will probably find as I do that its doubtful that the others actually really flew...... This is the only plane that actually got airborne to much extent. It was made mostly from lighter composites and utilized a Harley V-Twin engine allowing it to actually stay airborne for quite some time. Later flights lasted in excess of one half hour! It was also flown at quite a few other locations later on. None of the actual wooden planes built can claim that feat. The photo shows it flying above the Wendover Air Force Base runway... the same runway used by the Enola Gay when it was stationed at Wendover......

Also see this link......
http://www.usuwrightflyer.org/

-

And none of them could do this either........

-

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 02-27-2005 02:03 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Goodluck finding projectionist positions in and around the Boston area. What you can find pays you crap...and with the cost of living here, it isn't pretty.

I'm actually relocating to Attleboro, MA (border of Rhode Island) thanks to Paul Goulet I'm working at his old theater. [Smile] We're paying an extra $150 a month in rent which isn't all that bad, but then again its a third floor apartment, and its smaller... VERY EXPENSIVE!

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2005 10:34 AM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Rachel!

I'm glad I was able to help you out! Good Luck with the New job!

and I think that Andrew worked for BCG/CMCI when they ran the Albany, NY theater before they closed it.

Don Cross
Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2005 03:04 PM      Profile for Don Cross   Email Don Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Mark, we're both correct...

Thats a full scale version complete with person onboard.

The versions I was aware of are nowhere near full scale, and are basically very large remote control airplanes..

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: