Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Linux, Apache, and mod_perl

Author Topic: Linux, Apache, and mod_perl
Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2005 01:19 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm not sure how many of you fellow geeks are into Linux but here's my problem anyway:

I've got a box running RedHat Linux 7.1 (Seawolf). I've got it set up as a router for the lil' lady's network. Trouble is I have custom scripts to serve wallpaper and a few other little gadgets to the desktop and xbox.
Well, all of a sudden (and I think updating perl did it) httpd died and left it's PID file behind.
Attempts to restart it fail with the following output:
[root@server /root]# service httpd start
Starting httpd: [Sat Mar 5 03:13:24 2005] [error] Can't locate strict.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl . /etc/httpd/ /etc/httpd/lib/perl) at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i386-linux/Apache.pm line 3.!BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i386-linux/Apache.pm line 3.!Compilation failed in require at (eval 1) line 3.!
[FAILED]

How's that for strange? Everywhere I've looked it's usually because of a certain "hack" in which the perl lib's are actually an nfs share mounted from another machine and for whatever reason becomes unavailable because the connection drops or whatever leaving behind an empty directory.
In my case however everything is local, perl still functions, and strict.pm is exactly where it should be.

Well, in the mean time mod_perl disabled let's it start...strange.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2005 05:34 PM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might be a file permissions issue. If you are not to worried about security, you can type CHMOD 777 strict.pm. I think that opens it up for everyone so it would rule out a permissions issue.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2005 05:50 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
um...I have to look into is as I haven't run scripts in a while, but you should at least upgrade your version of Linux. Which Kernel are you using?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-05-2005 10:40 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have multiple versions of Perl on that machine?

Redhat 7.1 is definitely outdated. 7.3 is serviceable with patches.

Personally, I'd recommend Slackware or Free/Open/NetBSD.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-06-2005 01:56 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"chmod 777" is a poor idea. It makes a file world-WRITABLE.
"chmod a+r" would be fine, but shouldn't be necessary since it should already be world-readable (a+r basically OR's in 0222 into the file modes, so a mode 0600 would become 0622, etc.).

As for your actual problem, well, err, is strict.pm indeed in one of the directories in @INC? If not, there's your problem. Otherwise, your problem is really strange and perhaps you should try strace or something.

--jhawk

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2005 03:06 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back from the warfront...

Permissions are just fine, it's already world readable.
Turns out running up2date perl (I can't remember why I did it...I think I was installing some other module) caused the "glitch".
However after simply copying strict.pm from the newer library dir into the old one (I was too lazy to update @INC, but I guess I will if I ever need mod_perl again) it stopped complaining about strict.pm and started about Dynaloader.pm...

As for my resoning for using such an inferior o/s...
When I got into linux I started with Redhat 6.2 and ended up getting used to it, I've just not had the time since to get into any other version.
I've diddled with slackware a little but not enough to feel comfortable in using it on my router.
As for the kernel, I'm running stock kernel on it.
I'm not too woried about security right now on it, my ipchains ruleset on that box is pretty strict and I do check logs.
One of these days I'll upgrade the kernel, but right now I just have too much going on.

Anyhow, disabling mod_perl in the httpd.conf file took care of it and my regular perl cgi's still run just fine so I guess that's the work around.

And on an unrelated note...why do idiots drive behind me on saturday night?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: