Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » XM Radio (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: XM Radio
Timothy Ervin
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 08:31 PM      Profile for Timothy Ervin   Email Timothy Ervin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am thinking about getting XM Radio. Anyone here have it? Any opinions?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Light
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 08:56 PM      Profile for Brad Light   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Light   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of the orginal Sony models, like almost 3 years old now. The display is a little hard to read but I'm stuck in the 70's and know all of the songs anyway. I bought a Delphi SkyFi for my Dad and I like the display on it. Channel access is very simular, presets, scroll, settings, etc. BestBuy, go play with one. XM for sure, more channels.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-14-2005 10:43 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had it for a while now, and absolutely love it! Glenn Beck in the morning, then commercial free 80s and CinemaMagic all day long.

I am absolutely sick and tired of commercials in all forms, and the commercial free aspect of satellite radio kicks ass in my opinion. Well worth the monthly fee. [thumbsup]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-14-2005 11:40 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's awesome. (I sell it at my day job)

Get the Delphi SkyFi2. Make sure you don't buy a "regular" SkyFi, the newer model is much better. Stay away from the Roady 2 -- it's a nifty unit but is not as durable or as versatile as the SkyFi2.

And, get it before the end of this month because the monthly rate is going up to $12.99 -- but they are going to throw in the online version and one of the premium channels for free. You can "lock in" the old rates for 1 to 5 years if you sign up and pay in advance before the end of this month. (Don't worry, you are not "committed" for the whole time you pay for... they'll refund your unused months if you decide to unhook.)

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 02:46 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Sirius Satellite Radio, and I LOVE IT. Now that they are going to be the same price, it's going to be easier to sell people on Sirius. If you like Talk radio and sports, Sirius is better in my opinion...and their music stations are good as well. Some of XM's music stations have a deeper catalog, but I don't notice too much. I, also, sell Sirius and XM at my day job and they both sell very well. I have the JVC Sirius Receiver, and I use it in my car and at home on my home stereo. I also stream Sirius online from work. You won't be disappointed either way, they are both great.

Where will ou be installing this? I'm guessing in your car, which radio do you have? I ask this b/c it's a LOT better to wire it directly into your car via the dock and bypass the FM Modulation. Even when you plug into the Antena, it still can sound like Radio; where is if you plug it using an Audio input...it actually sounds like a CD.

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 03:17 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had XM for about nearly two years. I love it as well. I'd recommend the SkyFi2 as it has a 30 min buffer and FM modulator built right in. Also, XM will now broadcast EVERY MLB game in 2005. I've heard rumor that they're working on a contract with the NFL as well. My favorite stations are Top Tracks, Deep Tracks, Bluegrass Junction, and XM Comedy. Opie and Anthony will soon be included to all members. I hope Sirius wasn't planning on Stern being a premium channel. Admittedly, I did choose XM for the lower price at first, but I would still choose it over Sirius because I enjoy the programming choices more.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 03:54 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had XM (well in my girlfriend's car) for 2 years and we both love it. I'm not so sure about them picking up the NFL because the NFL contract with Sirius supposedly made it prohibitively expensive for XM to carry NFL games.

There is a very strong rumor that XM and Sirius will merge soon. Apparently they are both trying to get re-classified by the FCC as "Wireless Digital Content Providers" or something like that. This way, a merger won't create a monopoly because they'll be lumped in with all wireless multimedia.

I think that merger would be great because then all satellite radio customers can get maximum programming. They won't really be able to increase the subscription fee much because they are still competing with FREE over the air radio. There comes a price point where people will not pay and this will hold the fee in check.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-14-2005 04:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Howard Stern was never going to be a premium channel.

Good thing, because after about two weeks of his uncensored show, I predict people will be tuning out in droves because he won't have his "edge" or "risk factor" anymore, and thus will become a crashing bore to listen to.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 05:01 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
something tells me that they will never merge....that's like every cell phone company saying they are "wireless content services" and then merging into one...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-14-2005 05:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I can see happening is manufacturers starting to make tuners that'll pick up either service. Pioneer's new car stereos will work with both services already. It'll be like AM and FM...you'll just subscribe to either or both, your choice.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 03-14-2005 06:36 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried out the Sirius Satellite Radio like Dean, it is pretty nice and plenty of channels. Just expect the stations to "promote" their own station every two songs or so... It's like they think you don't know what station you're on. But I guess if you just block it from your mind you will learn to not notice it. I also believe there was a time when the car was going through a tunnel it cut out for a bit. But it is convenient that where ever you are you'll still get to listen to a particular station. Not sure about if there's a really bad storm the reception will be quiet the same though.

I'm still "iffy" about "paying" for radio. I'll resort to mp3s or hook up my ipod to the car and put it on shuffle.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-14-2005 06:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sirius boasts "commercial free radio", but after virtually every song you have to listen to an announcer "you're listening to Sirius satellite radio, blah, blah, blah". THAT IS A COMMERCIAL!!! Then some stations have DJs who are just not funny on there too.

Is there a satellite music radio network that is TRULY commercial and DJ free, without even babbling about how wonderful their station is?

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 06:43 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming you know the answer to that Brad [Wink]

I don't mind the (I guess you would call it) station identifications that much, but I don't listen to the hit stations and all that bs. As for losing service, the two cities that I went through with tunnels had ground repeaters so I didn't get an interruption in service. With all the driving I do, and the convenience of not having to putz around with dials and worrying about service, I gladly pay my $12.95 a month. The traffic and weather stations are cool too, but not many cities are offered on either network.

Keep in mind that I only really listen to Fox News, about 10 of the music channels, Weather/Traffic for Tampa/Orlando/Miami (which covers more than those cities, actually most of the state), and sometimes Comedy...oh yeah and the three NPR Channels are great.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2005 09:07 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dean Kollet
something tells me that they will never merge....that's like every cell phone company saying they are "wireless content services" and then merging into one...

Don't be so sure. I dug up one of the articles on the subject.

quote:
E-MAIL STORY PRINTER FRIENDLY FOXFAN CENTRAL
Sirius, XM Merger in the Works?
Monday, January 31, 2005
By Tim Arango

Satellite radio rivals Sirius (SIRI) and XM (XMSR) have been cozying up to each other, The Post has learned.

While talks have not advanced far, executives from both sides have been meeting lately to discuss the possibility of a merger, according to several sources close to the matter.

Sources say the executives have not yet discussed price. They have, however, been weighing any potential antitrust concerns that would arise from a deal, which would create a monopoly in the nascent satellite radio business.

The two companies have talked in the past about merging, but the discussions never got to an advanced stage. But in the wake of Sirius' hiring of former Viacom President Mel Karmazin (search) in November, the issue has gained renewed urgency, sources said.

"Mel is a roll-up guy, a deal guy," said one source close to Karmazin.

While many people in the media industry say it's inevitable the two companies will eventually merge, sources say a deal could be at least a year away.

A spokesman for Sirius said, "as a company we do not comment on rumor or speculation." An XM spokesman did not return a call seeking comment.

The satellite radio industry is currently a Federal Communications Commission (search)-licensed duopoly, and both XM and Sirius are hoping they can convince the FCC to redefine the market to include all content over wireless broadband services.

As mobile technology in the United States advances, XM and Sirius are hoping the FCC will consider satellite radio as part of the broader industry of delivering music and other content through mobile devices, such as cellphones, say sources.

A merger between XM and Sirius — neither of which is yet profitable — would alleviate a price war for premium content and allow the two companies to save significant amounts of money on marketing costs.

Merrill Lynch analyst Laraine Mancini said in a conference call earlier this week that one of the chief risks of investing in the companies' stock is a potential price war and "irrational bidding" for content.

Last year, Sirius announced a blockbuster $500 million deal to bring Howard Stern (search) from traditional radio to satellite radio beginning in 2006. While some hailed the deal as a milestone for the fledgling sat radio industry, some on Wall Street said the company overpaid.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-15-2005 11:22 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know some guys that have put XM Radio in their planes, along with either CD changers or MP3 players. The audio panels and pilot headsets are set up for stereo and automatically mute the music when any comm or nav radio is monitored or breaks squelch. Very cool and helps pass the time on long flights.

Another feature of XM is a live aviation weather data stream service. Near realtime NEXRAD Doppler weather radar data can be displayed on any of the new LCD panel displays, overlayed on your moving map present position. All kinds of other data can be displayed as well, like updated terminal and area weather reports and forecasts, in-flight pilot reports, notices to airmen, and temporary flight restrictions.

Very very cool stuff. [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: