Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Concerning Movie Piracy

Author Topic: Concerning Movie Piracy
Betsie Beadling
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2005 05:42 PM      Profile for Betsie Beadling   Email Betsie Beadling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What should i do cause someone sent me a
Bootleg Screener DVD Copy of My Favorite
Movie Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
Thats Illegal isnt it??
I dont have that Persons Postal Maill Address!!!
Im Scared about this Situation and am afraid of MPAA
Throwing Me in the Slammer [Eek!] [Confused] [Roll Eyes]

|  IP: Logged

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2005 06:07 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1st, I would be broadcasting specifics in a forum.

Do what you feel is right. Destroy it. Keep it, enjoy it, just don't be vocal about it.

If you have no means of recourse, then what can you do?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-22-2005 08:38 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's making you nervous, destroy it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-23-2005 07:14 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should send it to Jack Valenti! Now he has plenty of time on his hands to enjoy watching a film.

Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-23-2005 07:33 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No need to be worried. In the US, copyright laws reserve the rights of copying and public performance to the copyright holder. If you haven't copied anything or shown it publicly, then you haven't violated copyright law. The violation was committed by whoever made the copy. If you have an original studio-made screener disk, then no copyright law has been violated, though there may be violation of contract law if whoever was supposed to receive that disk had agreed not to re-distribute it.

If you want to notify the MPAA about a pirated copy (which will likely lead to investigation by law enforcement), you can call them at 800-662-6797. You should tell them that you wish to remain anonymous.

The MPAA will not "throw you in the slammer." They have no law enforcement powers (yet). All they can do is file a civil suit (which they will lose if they file it against someone who hasn't violated the law) or refer law enforcement agencies to the case.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: