Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Turning Off Headlights in Drive-In (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Turning Off Headlights in Drive-In
Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2005 08:09 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I went to a local drive-in last saturday night. We usually go about once a year. I always run into the same problem everytime we go though. I cannot turn off my headlights.

I have a 1999 Chevy pickup and I have no control whatsoever over the headlights. They are the automatic kind which come on and shut off by themselves. In fact, I don't even see why they put a switch on the dash at all. It doesn't work to try to turn the knob to off when the lights are on at night because it won't shut them off.(now they don't even trust us to turn on our own headlights?) [Roll Eyes] I read the owner's manual and couldn't find a way to get them to turn off. Only leaving the parking brake on when you start the car will make them stay off but then I can't drive with the brake on.

When we showed up to the first movie we were late (it was a last minute idea)and I couldn't park because I didn't want to disturb the other people. Anyone else have this problem? I thought about cutting the wires and installing a toggle switch.

When I lived in an apartment I couldn't come home late and park in front of someone else's apartment for fear of the headlights in their bedroom window waking them up. Anyone have any ideas?

[ 06-16-2005, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: Joshua Waaland ]

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-16-2005 08:53 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe I am correct in this:

I think there is a software control that your dealer can change. You may note that rental cars are like this. My understanding is that if you purchase a used rental car; you can elect to have certain things "changed." If I am right, then there IS a need for the headlight switch. Good luck!!

Louis

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-16-2005 09:20 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is probably a hidden control to turn off this "feature." On my Volvo, it's a little unmarked screw next to the headlight switch. Your car probably has something similar, although it might be in a less-accessible place (under the hood, perhaps).

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-16-2005 09:28 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where is the photocell which tells it it is night? That should be somewhere somewhat accesible, so that you might be able to make your modification there.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-16-2005 09:55 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's "Daytime Running Lights". The headlights are on at all times whether you have the switch turned on or not.

It's a FEATURE of many new cars. I also believe it's a requirement for new cars in Canada.

I don't have a problem with DRL, per se, but I have always believed that there should be a way to manually override them. My thought that there would be a button you pressed to douse the headlights until the next time you alter the position of the headlight switch, hit the hi-beams or until you shut the ignition off.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-16-2005 10:12 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trick is to apply your parking brake ONE NOTCH. This will kill DRL's in most vehicles, and allow you to drive about the lot. We address this in the Drive-In Policy Trailer, from Screen Attractions.

-

Order from:
Screen Attractions Online Catalog

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2005 10:17 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy,

It has daytime running lamps but they are separate bulbs under the headlights. I cannot control any of them. I would like to know if there is a way to "alter" them. Maybe I will do a search.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2005 11:33 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'll play the part of the smart ass.
How about show up on time? [Big Grin]

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2005 06:35 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We didn't get there on time because my wife only thought of the idea about ten minutes before the first film started. It's a fourty-five minute drive and we still had to get all the blankets and pillows and radio together. [thumbsup]

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2005 06:57 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel about these daytime running lights the same as I do about things starting up automatically on my computer: I don't like it. If I want things on, then I will turn them on (with some notable exceptions like my firewall software which should run immediately).

I am glad my car does not have this "feature". If it did, I would be disabling it even if it meant cutting into the wiring harness and adding a switch.

Also, I find it distracting to see cars with lights on in the daytime. I suppose if all cars did it, and I got used to it, the distraction factor would go away, but I personally have no trouble seeing other cars in the daylight (and even in early dawn or dusk conditions), so I really can't see any reason to do this.

I am sure someone will come along with a report about how it reduces accidents because of increased visibility.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-17-2005 09:16 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a page on how to disable daytime running lights: http://www.lightsout.org/disable.html

I haven't figured out why car manufacturers would want to force this "feature" on car buyers. Do they make money off lightbulb sales?

This morning, I turned on the daytime running lights and tried the parking brake trick; it didn't work on my car, though switching to "parking lights" mode did turn off the headlights (but, of course, turned on the parking lights). Your mileage may vary. Another option for temporarily disabling DRLs would be to remove the fuse for the headlights.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2005 09:56 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm not mistaken, on the full-sized GM & Chevy trucks, repeatidly pressing the "dome light switch" will over-ride the daytime running light feature.

I think we discussed this on the UDITOA disicussion board once, or it may have been mentioned on the Yahoo Drive-In discussion group.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2005 11:52 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried the dome override switch this morning but it didn't work. I tried every variation of lights on, lights off, pushing button repeatedly, holding button down and nothing worked.

Jason Miller
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2005 12:05 PM      Profile for Jason Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
use a hammer.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-17-2005 01:06 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: