Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Blockbuster's "No Late Fee" policy = SCAM (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Blockbuster's "No Late Fee" policy = SCAM
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-09-2005 10:28 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that most people here heard about Blockbuster Video's advertising campaign where they proclaim, "NO MORE LATE FEES!!

According to the Pennsylvania Attorney General and the A.G. of 47 other states, it was a scam.

www.attorneygeneral.gov

It turns out that, while Blockbuster Video CLAIMS to not charge late fees, they just charge your credit card for the value of the movie you rented if you don't bring it back in 7 days. If you bring it back in less than 30 days they will refund your money but they will charge you a "Restocking Fee".

quote:

Blockbuster “No Late Fees” Program Settlement

Pennsylvania consumers may have heard of the recent settlement reached by Attorney General Tom Corbett and 47 other states with Blockbuster, Inc. The settlement resolves allegations that Blockbuster’s “End of Late Fees” program and related promotion efforts failed to adequately inform consumers of the terms and conditions of the program, including the fact that consumers could incur new charges for overdue movie rentals.

What Does the Settlement Mean?

Blockbuster has entered a legal settlement, filed with the courts in 47 states and the District of Columbia, in which it agrees to stop engaging in business practices which the states maintain were deceptive and misleading. The agreement also requires Blockbuster to implement changes to the in-store materials promoting its “No Late Fees” program and to clearly and conspicuously disclose the terms and conditions of the program in future advertising. Additionally, the settlement requires Blockbuster to comply with state Consumer Protection Laws in the future and pay the states’ costs to investigate and settle this matter.

What about Restitution?

Under the settlement, Blockbuster must provide restitution to any consumer who did not understand the terms of Blockbuster’s “No Late Fees” promotion and, as a result, paid restocking fees or were charged the purchase price of a rented game or movie and have not been refunded those charges by Blockbuster. Restitution will be a one-time refund of the consumer’s first payment of additional charges under the “No Late Fees” program. Consumers must file complaints on or before April 28, 2005.

Complaints may be filed:

» With the Attorney General’s Bureau of Consumer Protection by calling 1-800-441-2555
» By sending a complaint directly to Blockbuster’s Texas headquarters at:
Blockbuster, Inc.
ATTN: Steve Krumholz
1201 Elm Street
Suite 2100
Dallas, TX 75270
» With your local Blockbuster store

Any consumer who rented a video from a Blockbuster store in Pennsylvania prior to the complaint deadline and who incurred sale or re-stocking charges because they did not understand the terms of the ‘No Late Fee” policy but did not learn of these charges until after April 28th may still file a complaint within seven days of becoming aware of the charges. Blockbuster will honor these complaints for up to six months, or until September 25, 2005.

If you have a problem relating to a movie rental or the purchase of another good or service, you can call the Attorney General's Bureau of Consumer Protection toll-free HOTLINE number, 1-800-441-2555.

Hey, honey! Let's stay home and make it a "Blockbuster Night"! [fu]

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-09-2005 10:37 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original Blockbuster TV ads proclaiming "No Late Fees" were very misleading. I can't believe that ad campaign was ever approved for airing.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2005 11:05 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may be misleading but the info wasn't exactly hidden, it was certainly in almost every article I read about the new policy when they brought it out.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-10-2005 01:36 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must agree the Blockbuster Video "no more late fees" campaign was a bit misleading -or even a scam. It seems like another one of those dumbassed American sales droid money making schemes developed while in drunken stupor on a country club golf course. "We'll take advantage of American laziness, make money from it, improve the stock price a little and get a big fat bonus" (then take a big gulp of beer and try to chip out of the sand trap).

However, I really must play "devil's advocate" on this one. Did the general public forget about something called personal responsibility? Most video stores give you 5 whole days to watch a DVD before you have to return it. That's more than enough time to watch a 2-disc title loaded with a ton of extras. IMHO, you pretty much have to fall victim to a serious brain fart to keep a 5 day rental past a week.

The folks filing lawsuits may have forgotten the early days of video stores where you had only 1 night to watch the show. If you didn't bring it back on time, you got to pay the full rental price for each extra night you kept the tape.

In those days most video stores were mom and pop shop operations that didn't have 377,888,886 copies of the damned movie in stock. So they were pretty serious about getting that tape back and diligent in charging fines to cure the laziness of a few renters.

The problem still exists in the largest of video stores when it comes to independent film releases and older "catalog" DVD releases. No store keeps lots of copies of those movies in stock. I recall having to raise some hell at a local video store to get to rent the only copy of "Ghost in the Shell" they had. Some dummy rented it and simply forgot he had it in his house. Or maybe he just wanted to keep it and hope the store would forget he had it. Those kind of folks need to pay the full freaking price for the DVD. Hell, after awhile even most libraries will charge you the full price to replace a book if you forgot you still had it.

I'm not the only one who hates it when a title you want to rent is never in stock -mainly because one asshole out there won't return the damned movie. I think some people keep the movies on purpose and just don't go back to the video store all to try to avoid the late charge. After so many days, charge their damned credit card for the price of the movie.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-10-2005 11:31 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Personal responsibility? No.

The original Blockbuster campaign made it look like they were going the way of Netflix where, as long as you pay your monthly subscription fee, you keep the movie until you feel like returning it. No matter how long your lazy ass takes to put it in the envelope and take it out to the mailbox. (In my roommate's case, two months. Seriously.)

Of course, the Blockbuster website now clearly states the terms of their "No Late Fees" program.

Blockbuster.com: The End of Late Fees Terms

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2005 12:46 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ageree with Mike Heenan. Everything I saw about it being brought in explained how that all worked. People have to realize that there would've been a catch, and that's when you ask for the company's policies. I saw banners in store windows that explained it too.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2005 03:45 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Brad mentioned in the first Blockbuster thread ( [Wink] ) The policy is very lenient. You pay, what 3.99?, for a week, and can keep it for 30 days more for only $1.25 (the restocking fee). No other brick-and-mortar shop has a fee structure like that. Even the public library charges more for overdue media. From what I read, their thinking was that if you really like the movie, go ahead and keep it. Kind of a try-before-you-buy deal. This thing was completely not a scam, but there are just dumb people who thought they were getting a free lunch. Did they honestly think that they could rent a movie for a few bucks and NEVER have to return it?

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2005 05:29 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The issue was never whether or not it is a good deal, or even if the details were available in the stores printed material. The issue was that the television ads were very misleading. They were.

Jason Whitlock
Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2005 05:42 PM      Profile for Jason Whitlock   Email Jason Whitlock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the ads had the fine print near the end mentioning the restocking fee after 30 days and the rent-to-own charge after 7 or 10 days...

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2005 05:59 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if it was about the TV ads, which I dont see anything about it in the quote Randy provided, you'd still think people who got "scammed" by the original blockbuster late fees policy, to be on guard about the new policy, and at least ask questions at their local store if they didn't get it.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-10-2005 06:19 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder why there is a $1.25 restocking fee. Does it really cost that much to put the item back on the shelf? If someone refused to pay the restocking fee, would the DVD sit on the return counter forever, never ever being put up for rent again? I want to know where that $1.25 goes.

It is a penalty fee, not a restocking fee. Blockbuster is lying.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2005 06:51 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
following that logic, the local shop I visit doesn't have late fees either, they just let you rent the movie twice in a row without having to go through the hassle of coming back into the store. At that rate, I might as well have bought the movie after 30 days, cause that's how much I'd owe. At least blockbuster has a fee cap at about $20.00, at which point you own the movie, which is better than owing $20.00 and still having to return it.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-10-2005 06:56 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The term "restocking fee" is possibly meant as a politically correct term. They just need to call it what it is: asshole tax.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2005 08:58 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, you sound angry about something...

The place I go to has one day rentals. Because of that, I rarely have a problem getting the movie I want when I want it. Thats the main reason I stopped going to blockbuster/hollywood altogether. The crummy selection that they offer is frequently checked out indefinately.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-10-2005 10:26 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My point was not about whether people are lazy, nor was it about whether people should have to pay for bringing a rented movie back late. (They are... And, they should.)

My point was that the ad was so misleading that 48 states and the District of Columbia saw fit to sue them in court on behalf of the general public.

I've seen some cases where a few states' A.G. sue then the ad gets retracted but when 49 out of 51 A.G. gang up on a company it's because they smell a rat.

Frankly, I don't go to Blockbuster very often. When I rent movies, it's from the local grocery store. (Wegmans.) or from another video place that's near my house. I just don't care for B.B.

quote: Adam Martin
The original Blockbuster campaign made it look like they were going the way of Netflix
That's exactly what I thought too.

I saw their ad a few months ago that proclaimed, "No More Late Fees!! No More Late Fees!!" I saw some news items in the paper and on N.P.R. radio that covered the story. NONE of them said anything about the fee structure. Like Adam, I thought they were trying to go toe-to-toe with NetFlix. Later on, after they retracted their original ad, I saw their replacement and noticed the fine print that talked about the 7-day grace and the "Restocking Fee".

I thought, "Aha! THAT'S how they do it!... They get to keep your money in their bank account for a month!"

If they ring up 1 million extra sales a month, that's $30,000,000.00 extra dollars they can have in the bank. (Assuming the average video costs $29.95.) Even if they have to give all that money back they:

1) Still get another $30M coming to them for next month's sales.

2) They get to keep the interest that $30M made while it was in their account.

Even if they only get 1% interest it still adds up to $300,000 per month. Maybe Bobby is right. It's nothing more than a "Stupid Tax".

But, not fully disclosing the terms of a new agreement to your customer(s) then using THEIR money to pad your bank account is playing dirty pool!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: