Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Do American passenger cars typically have reclining passenger seats?

Author Topic: Do American passenger cars typically have reclining passenger seats?
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-13-2005 02:49 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am finally getting ready for my vaction in Seattle. However, because I don't have enough time for the long drive, I am flying after all. So I will rent a car at the airport.
Problem here is, I will also get a double bass from a friend there, and that needs to ride with me in the car.
A station wagon would seem to be the best choice, but you can actually put a bass nicely into most standard passenger cars - provided the passenger seat can be reclined or tilted backwards into a "sleeping position". Then the bass can lie on the seat next to yo, like a stiff corpse. I actually prefer it that way to having it in the back of a station wagon.

The question here is, do typical American medium-sized cars they have at the rental places, like Oldsmobile Alero or comparable cars, normally have that function? I don't know, because I drive around in Ford Ranger which obviously doesn't, and the few times I had such a rental car here, I didn't pay attention to that detail.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-13-2005 03:50 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about the Alero specifically, but typically American cars have reclining front driver side and passenger side seats.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-13-2005 03:52 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
No

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-13-2005 05:56 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you reserve the car, request a recling passenger seat. Make it the rental agency's problem. (Are you driving back or are you going to take it as "carry on."?)

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2005 09:31 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Oldsmobile Alero does have reclining passenger seats.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 07-13-2005 11:21 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen any newer cars that don't have a reclining passenger seat.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2005 08:32 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been in a few, eh Rach? ;-)

Daniel Alt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2005 08:38 AM      Profile for Daniel Alt   Email Daniel Alt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the size of the bass, too. I'm a music teacher in real life, and I've discovered that I can get a 1/2 size bass into a Honda Accord or anything larger, but a 3/4 size bass really requires a station wagon or SUV.

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2005 09:58 PM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could also request a "compact" SUV (think Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4 or Ford Escape) this would give the best of both worlds. Room for the bass, and not driving a damn land yacht.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2005 12:55 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the Dauphin Island Fishing Rodeo every year, they usually just put their bass in a cooler & sling it in the back of the truck or car. That seems to be the way the professionals & serious amateurs do it.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-18-2005 04:52 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have put 3/4 and larger basses into virtually every car had to deal with, including the tiny plastic "Trabant" cars from East German times, as long as the passenger seat could be reclined. This time, I got a Subaru Legacy from the car rental, which isn't an American car after all, but it's made for the American market and very similar to an Oldsmobile Alero or similar mid-sized cars, and it does have the reclining passenger seat. No problem at all putting the rather big 5-string bass I rented in Seattle in there.

Daniel Alt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2005 09:44 AM      Profile for Daniel Alt   Email Daniel Alt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What sort of music do you play, Michael? I love bass, but only play the one at school with my kids, since I don't own one myself.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-18-2005 02:22 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mostly play what is commonly referred to as "classical music", orchestral music. Normally I play in the LaJolla Symphony in San Diego. Now I am here in Seattle on vacation playing in a festival orchestra, Mahler 2nd symphony, also "El Salon Mexico" by Copland and "Prayers of Kierkegaard" by Barber.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: