Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Antique Radio Restoration Help Needed! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Antique Radio Restoration Help Needed!
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2005 02:24 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the words of the great icon MONTY PYTHON: "And NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY STUPID!"

Well, I have begun the restoration of my 1938 RCA 816K AM and short-wave radio.

All of the original chassis wiring is either cloth, or real rubber insulation. And it all needs to be replaced!

Well, I never thought I'd see the day when I would walk into several electronics supply stores and NOT FIND WIRE with standard striped color codes! Thats Tucson, I suppose!

I'm going to check some of the Hot Rod Shops to see if they carry bulk wiring. The closest I've come is Painless Wiring, which has most of what I need, at $20.00 per 25 ft roll! And thats a little expensive seeing as I only need less than 10 ft of 13 different colors!

Maybe one of ya, like Mark G. or Phil can lend a hand!

Cheers

K.

|  IP: Logged

Roger Manning Jr
Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2005 02:43 PM      Profile for Roger Manning Jr   Email Roger Manning Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will did you try http://tubesandmore.com/

Roger

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2005 05:28 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is all the wiring really rotton?
I've got a 1932 Atwater-Kent model 84 cathedral that has all of its original wiring, except for what runs over to the under-chassis mounted electrolytics that I installed. Plus a new power cord.
Also have an RCA that had alot of damage done by mice. When I got it, it was actually playing! I'm still amazed that it didn't release smoke. Good luck with the rebuild. I love this old stuff. [bruce]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-26-2005 05:39 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Belden still sells a 10-color 25ft roll kit of "chassis hook-up" wire. It's like #22 AWG solid conductor with pvc insulation in the standard solid "resistor" colors.

You might try Mouser Electronics or Newark or (that OTHER PLACE that I just now forgot the name of the joint!)

Also, I think Radio Shack had a similar kit.

BTW: If you're looking for "Fuchsia" and "Magenta", you're outta luck... [Razz]

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2005 07:25 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help, everyone.

I guess 14 gage wiring should be heavy enough, unless 'yall think I should use something heavier?

I already contacted some of the antique radio parts suppliers (including Antique Electronic Supply--Tubes and More). Nothing doin.

Some of the cloth covered wire is available reproduction, but colors are limited. From my understanding, underneath the cloth is modern insulation.

Radio Shack, which used to have all kinds of neat stuff, now has squat.

This set has been worked on before, and the previous repairs could have been much neater. Luckily I have the original RCA schematics and books via Rider Publications. The nice thing is that these books also show the correct placement of all the components, including wiring.

All the insulation on the original wiring (both real rubber and cloth) is just falling apart. The best thing would be fo me to rewire the set using correct color codes w/modern hi-temp insulation.

Painless Wiring, who makes hot-rod and performance auto wiring products, has most of the color codes I need. Their wire is a stranded real copper core w/cross-linked polyethylene insulation for superior abrasion resistance. Withstands 275 degrees F @ 600 volts. Problem is that their bulk wire is a little expensive @ $20.00 for a 25ft roll. Needless to say I do not need 25 ft rolls, so I am trying to see if I can obtain some short scraps, as they are the direct manufacturer.

The RCA 816K is really a neat radio. It has been written up in the October 1990 issues of Antique Radio Classified by author Chuck Dachis. After I read the article, I thought it would be a neat unit to have. And I did have the opportunity to examine and listen to one, prior to obtaining mine. It sounded very nice!

It is a "16 tube (including the "Magic Tuning Eye" 7 band am and short wave console of 1938 vintage. It covers shortwave from 1.9 to 22 MHz in two general coverage bands, as well as 49, 31, 25 and 19 meters in four ""band spreads"". Each band spread has its own dial scale segment individually lighted as it is selected."

"Its hi-fi audio section uses a pair of 6L6's in push-pull with a 6F6 as a driver, and is capabable of 30 Watts output. There are 3 IF stages, an AFC circuit, and a couple of stages of tuned RF. It also has motorized tuning with memory presets, the ""Sonic Arc Magic Voice (12 in) speaker, and the ""Magic Brain circuitry" that RCA heavily advertised".

A seperate factory option was a remote control. And it also has a phonograph terminal. Another version had a different style cabinet that included a phonograph.

The radio was $300.00 or $400.00 new I believe, and was the most expensive RCA unit at that time.

Cheers

K

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-26-2005 07:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will,
Don't waste your time here! You need to go over and regester at the Antique radio Forums. Its a really great site with alot of old time technicians hanging out there. The Flm-Tech of radios and TV's!
Antique Radio Forum

Those guys over there have saved my neck a few times when I needed odd parts to restore my post war RCA TV's. The interesting thing is that there is a place in Pennsylvania that stocls NOS parts for old TVs and radios.

Rodger,
Antique Electronic Supply USED to be a great place. But it was sold a few years back and has steadily declined. The previous owner noew sells small tube amplifier kits that Aaron would just love.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-26-2005 07:54 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For wire (if you don't mind modern cable, plastic) I would suggest you just buy a section of 9-15 conductor Belden cable and strip off the insulation. You are assured many colors and really good cable. The beauty of this is that short lengths are commonly available as scrap....I may even have some myself.

Louis

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-26-2005 07:59 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
The beauty of this is that short lengths are commonly available as scrap....
Great suggestion, Louis. I forgot about multi-conductor "stranded" cables...

I have got many free 10ft cables by asking for a "sample."

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2005 08:11 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digikey? [Smile]

The rubber insulation in all of the old cotton-covered wiring I've encountered has long since turned hard and brittle. Not good! It may look ok, but it's not. The braided cotton covering disguises its true state. If it's not cracked already, it -will- crack and/or disintegrate if disturbed. A very real fire and shock hazard! Like Will, I think it's best to replace all of it, too. [beer]

Ron Yost ... who just replaced the AC wiring in an old Hammond BC organ. Not an especially simple task. Every inch of it was just as I've described, and there were signs of overheating and slight burn marks in the cotton covering.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-26-2005 08:28 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Yost
Digikey?
Yeah Ron, that was it! Thanks!

(Thank God the mind is the 1st thing to go.... ) [Razz] [beer] [thumbsup]

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2005 08:29 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will,

I have some 15 conductor 24 guage stranded cable with lots of colors. If you would like a few feet, email me your address.

If you need very small guage colored wire. try ribbon cable.

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2005 09:07 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Philco model 46-1209 chassis in which I want to replace all the resistors & capacitors except for the variable caps in it. It's AM/shotwave with provisions for phono. I had to write down the resistor & cap values from the schematics & by looking at the chassis. You can fix the Philco bakelite block caps by heating it,removing the original insides & replacing them with orange drop caps.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2005 01:21 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your hot rod shop mention made me remember that a lot of companies which sell parts for antique auto restoration sell spools of repro cotton-covered wire with modern PVC insulation beneath. If you're going for the retro look, you could check listings in Hemmings Motor News, etc.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2005 01:44 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi William

Some of the antique radio parts stores stock this,but are limited on color code selection.

Thanks for the suggestion, though

K

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-28-2005 04:59 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure to use wore rated at a high temperature because even modern PVC will be come brittle in the heat of a tube radio in just a decade or so. I've been lucky on the last two RCA post war televisions that I restoreed as the original cloth covered wore was in excellent shape.... even though it was the same crap RCA used in its theatre amps!!

Everyone should own a home entertainment system! Thats an 1947 RCA 721TS TV set on its original matching RCA stand. Al original finish too.

-

The chassis for the set in the top photo. The HV and horizontal sweep section is in the upper left.
 -

This is the bottom of the same chassis. No dry rotted wire in there....
 -

The chassis from my 1946 RCA 630TS set all restored. This was the first widely available TV set that was sold after WW-2. It cost close to $500.00 back then! The cabinet is still in progress and is a "this comming winter" project to finish up. This is an amazing set with no less than 4 video IF stages and true DC restoration in the video amp to do a proper true "black level". Clearly this circuitry can do real blacks and is light years ahead of whats in a DLP! It also has a completely seperate 3 stage sound if section. Yes, its 35 tubes including the CRT which is original to the set! The wiring was still in excellent condition.
 -

Interestingly neither of these sets had any type of line fuse in them. Apparently UL hadn't started up yet back then. They are fused now.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: