Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The Andy Summers Private THX Cinema (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: The Andy Summers Private THX Cinema
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-15-2005 12:00 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'll be the first to say it: I love it! Andy, that's quite a setup you have there! [Eek!] [Big Grin] [thumbsup] [uhoh] You should invite all Film-Tech members over for the premiere of George's crazy space movie when the DVD hits the street. [beer] [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2005 12:43 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
David’

It’s a same you’re thousand of miles over there in the U.S.A., although there are few members hear in the U.K., and with just 15 days left now before it fills the shaves up with such Force, I believe this one will sale like hotcakes….

So if someone would like to see and hear it though the screen is small the sound is gib in terms of SPL db, and still I need a stepladder to fix the height surrounds up, I’ll ask my dad for a stepladder next week, that will do it plus some cable ducting….sorted.

So you have looked at the link I sent and now that it’s plastered all over the Film-Tech forums in “Technicolor” cheers, it looks grand, but like I said it’s still incomplete and all it needs is a video projector, and a THX baffle wall with all the JBL control 5 and JBL 4645 installed into it to finalize it.

[beer] [beer] [beer]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-15-2005 12:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andy,

Just use the bathroom wall as the baffle and build em in!

Mark

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2005 01:04 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark’

LOL man that was very funny, LOL hehehehe, sorry I can’t get over that one, I’ll build it just like the real thing with plasterboard etc… the bathroom isn’t big enough to swing a cat in, and though the tonal characteristics maybe of some advantage the living room will have to suffice…
[Smile]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-15-2005 03:47 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the box underneath the Trinitron? Some sort of cable/satellite decoder?

Is that a calibrated microphone? [Smile]

Do home decoders have pink-noise generators in them, or do you have some sort of external pink noise source? (I assume that the calibration procedure is essentially the same as the B-chain alignment described in the Dolby manuals...is this correct?)

You definitely should get a video projector and perf screen...it must be odd to have such a small picture with that sound system.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-15-2005 04:26 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The TV is far too awesome. Brad, your screening room sucks by comparison. Sorry but you lose, pal. Andy, you win!

Also, why is there no picture of your official THX approval license?

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2005 04:37 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott’

Yes and no is the answer for it must be odd with a TV monitor of that size and a sound system of such size, I can place a mental image of the size that needs to be there, but that’s just the way I think. Yes a video projector as to be in order hear, and though I have my eyes set on one in a second hand shop, at around £500,00 I’m sure the halogen bulb is near it’s lifespan, and there’s the cost but if I think like a projectionist I’m sure there’s a way around it, and bring the cost to affordability.

The box under the multi stranded SONY monitor is a teletex decoder to where the signals on TV broadcasts enable views to see news updates weather entertainment etc.

But seeing it’s not connected nor am I receiving any British TV broadcasts as I’ve given up with British TV period, I’ve even dumped the antenna, it’s just Laserdiscs DVD’s and some pre-recorded future films on VHS for now.

The microphone was isn’t sadly a calibrated model but it’s got XLR connecting, the pink noise is soured from the dts calibration disc with full spectrum sound and carefully adjusting the EQ bands to get the timber close to the sweet spot in the room, whilst looking at the RTA, two of which I have one is on the Technics EQ and the other is on the pc called “TureRTA.” I’m also on the look out for some more active X-over units as passive ones are too high edge sounding.

So in a sense part of the sound chain is close to the B-chain configuration, just need two more active X-over units.

Now if you have been looking at the images you’ll notice the audio mixer that I have placed in line with the LFE and all the other channels that are outputting low frequency content, from the sub bass low pass output split-surrounds to the centre channel and the main fronts left and right sub bass low pass, I’ve said it before less is more and overwhelming the mix to point where it’s not sounding natural, simply will not do.

There’s other techniques that I’ve done like looking at the problems regarding masking acoustic masking, there’s a few black boxes that I’d like some audio compressors with gate hold and threshold settings, with around 4 needed and then I’ll start addressing the problems like in the film “Heat” and “Alien” 2000 issue not that bodged remix directors cut which I happen to also have, the mix on these films is incredibly complex and though some cinemas are still faced with the same problem I just what to correct it and get more out of the mix with little compromise issues in it’s path.

Joe’

Come Joe’ stop playing around I’ve seen Brad’s preview theatre that wins hands down, spot on I like it. Why is there no picture for home THX it’s not like the annual fee that’s paid out to the THX division with 6 monthly check ups, and the final kick in the bollocks, if you fail to maintain standards, I maintain the operation hear with out the fuss and hassle that is usually accompanied with the THX license…

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-15-2005 04:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I’ll build it just like the real thing with plasterboard etc…
Plasterboard for a baffle wall?

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2005 04:59 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad’

Well you guys call it a different name in the U.S.A. just one laying I’ve calculated it by, will be in order hear I’ll be using timber from B&Q including the plasterboard rockwool, and screws etc, to construct it I was going to start on this early this year but due to delays in getting built it will have to stay on the drawing board, with easy access to get to the JBL control 5 monitor speakers, the JBL control 5 will be fixed into position with no tendency to move except of course the sound itself.

A lighting feature will also be implemented into the design Neon lighting with a few basic colours and a lighting control box system to control the flow of each colour from red blue and green or multiples of colours.

The cost of the lighting system will be more costly than the THX baffle wall, as plasterboard costs next to nothing.

Arr it’s”Late Night Lisa” time as its 23.00 hrs she’s the goddess of the classical music airwaves, do you guys what the link to the site will hear it is.

http://www.classicfm.com/index.cfm?nodeId=35&sw=1024

And remember to relax….

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-15-2005 05:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Plasterboard for a baffle wall?

Well, thats slang for drywall... 3 layers of 5/8" to be exact!

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-15-2005 06:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard that slang term. When I hear "plaster", I think of plaster.

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2005 06:19 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad’

That’s what I was tying to relay, but mark twigged on to it quicker than “John Wayne” can draw…

So it will be done like your own private preview theatre, by the way have you made any alterations to the booth auditorium or the sub bass array as I take it your still using the JBL 4675-A five-screen. [thumbsup]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-15-2005 08:35 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Andy...why the 2240H driver in the 4518 LF cabinet that is so prominately featured? Any reason for your choice of driver there?

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2005 09:01 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve’

Edge foam surround, is the reason need I say more, the edge ribbon surround nice. And this sub as had a good 7 year run with no problems, touch wood.

Along with its durability and giving it’s only 98db sensitivity and this one I’ve measured down to 20Hz so she as the authority to play the most demanding films from “Master and Commander” “Flight of the Phoenix” and “Star Wars Episode 2 Attack of the Clones” those are some of the films that I’ve tested “The LFE” test that is and note “Spiderman 2” that’s got some wow lows in it that’s slams kicks and rumbles the room right down to low depths just like in the “Empire Leicester Square” mind you they had around 8x JBL 4645, to fill that auditorium.

Just one JBL 4645 will suffice hear, which leaves my friends in the dust with 10inc ones, where they sound to toppy…

The maximum SPL db I’ve ever had her at is 120db that was with the film called “Final Approach” on VHS and those after burners on the SR-71 really kick you in the chest, KABOOM….

So looking forward to that film, if it ever gets a DVD realise has it was one of the first films to be in digital sound, or one of many the ole CDS format which is now retired due to backward compatibility, though there where a few 70mm six-track Dolby prints of it and Dolby SR as well.

Do you have any news on this film “Final Approach”
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101874/combined

Now adding on to this if some members like to drop on over, you’ll properly have to nick an SR-71 and fly her at Mach 3 and land her at “Hurn Airport” which is only 7 miles away from me, drop on in catch the DVD only real big problem hear is you’ll find the SR-71 has had it’s wheels clamped and may have to pay for landing costs etc, and stuffing some 4 or 5 members into it’s cockpit may be difficult also.LOL. [beer]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-15-2005 09:57 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andy your TV is far too big. You might try stepping down to a 9 incher. Wait a minute is the one you have already a 9 inch TV?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: