Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Rocky VI (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Rocky VI
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2005 12:40 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stallone Getting Back In Ring For Sixth 'Rocky'

Stallone getting back in ring for sixth 'Rocky'
By Borys Kit
Mon Oct 17, 6:40 AM ET

Sylvester Stallone is signing on to reprise his role as boxer Rocky Balboa in the sixth installment of the long-running film series, which he wrote and will direct.

The film, titled "Rocky Balboa," will be co-produced and co-financed by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Columbia Pictures and Revolution Studios and will be distributed by Columbia Pictures.

Stallone has been trying to make a sixth movie for years and has been reworking a script. The latest version, which sources said is similar to the tone and grit of the first two movies, persuaded the studios to negotiate a deal.

"In many ways, the screenplay really took me back to the original 'Rocky,"' Revolution Studios founder Joe Roth said in a statement. "As a past champion, Rocky Balboa is once again a regular guy who has to find himself and deal with real life. This film brings Rocky's story full circle."

In the new installment, Rocky, lonely and retired in Philadelphia, comes out of retirement, intending to fight a few low-profile local fights. He's approached to fight a match with reigning heavyweight champ Mason "The Line" Dixon, and soon his comeback ignites a media firestorm.

"'Rocky Balboa' is about everybody who feels they want to participate in the race of life, rather than be a bystander," Stallone said in a statement. "You're never too old to climb a mountain, if that's your desire."

Shooting is scheduled to begin in December in Los Angeles and Philadelphia.

Stallone received Academy Award nominations for starring in and writing "Rocky," and the 1976 MGM film won an Oscar for best picture, best director (John G. Avildsen) and best editing (Richard Halsey, Scott Conrad). The movie grossed $117.3 million at the domestic boxoffice, making Stallone a film star and creating one of cinema's most famous characters.

It also launched one of the most successful film series of all time. 1979's "Rocky II" grossed $85 million, and 1982's "Rocky III," which featured Mr. T, grossed $120.2 million. "Rocky IV," with Dolph Lundgren, made $125.4 million after its 1985 release. By the decade's close, however, audiences seemed to have tired of the character. "Rocky V," released in 1990, made only $40 million.

"Rocky Balboa" is the first film to be green-lit by MGM since it was acquired by Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news).

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

|  IP: Logged

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 10-17-2005 01:26 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sylvester Stallone — Date of Birth: 6 July 1946 - may be pushing the envelope doing another Rocky at his age. I know that he has appeared in a couple of the Las Vegas shows showing on NBC Monday Nights with James Caan. He wasn't looking that healthy and kind of surprised me as he is beginning to show his age.

He might want to consider a search for a new "Rocky".

What ever his decision is...I would support him. [thumbsup]

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2005 02:30 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I hope this one pack’s a punch, the last one wasn’t that good, while 1, 2, 3 and 4 where pucker, and packed a wallop at the box office, I’ve seen advertisements for this show on TV?

Though I’ve never seen the show itself, and also at what age do boxers normally retire at?

Well with make-up and CGI techniques this should go unnoticed, LOL but “Sylvester Stallone” is properly in better shape than I, and I need to start punching some meat in a refrigerator, to lose a few pounds…LOL.

Rocky, Rocky, Rocky, Rocky…. [thumbsup]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-17-2005 02:59 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As one in that age range, how can old fart pushing 60 even hope to realistically take on somebody 40 years younger in the ring. Surely this is to be a comedy. Maybe Rocky is going to be the trainer or manager, rather than the boxer.

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2005 03:04 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Where the trainee will chase a "chicken" LOL. [Big Grin]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-17-2005 05:43 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andy Summers
Though I’ve never seen the show itself, and also at what age do boxers normally retire at?
The average age of retirement for heavyweight fighters is under 30. The same could be said for most other weight classes. The most successful fighters may average 35. Former heavyweight champion Larry Holmes came out of retirement at age 38 to face a 20 year old Mike Tyson and got knocked on his can. He still fought a number of small time fights after that.

George Foreman holds the record for winning the heavyweight title at the oldest age (he did it at age 46).

I'm pretty shocked that Stallone would choose to go ahead and make another Rocky movie with himself being in the role to fight for the title. My first hunch when hearing the news was that he would play a coach bringing up someone like a younger version of himself. It would have made more sense anyway. I just can't see a guy in his late 50's fighting a title bout.

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2005 06:16 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby’

“Rumble in the jungle” yeah I remember the fight October 30th 1974’s!?
George foreman vs. MUHAMMAD ALI

http://www.cdaccess.com/jpg/shared/front/large/foreman.jpg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005COVG.03._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.boxing-memorabilia.com/bioforeman.htm

I’ve got an idea, why doesn’t he re-release all five films for “IMAX” larger format, and with the “Sonics” packing a slamfull of punches and kicks and rumbling where the theatre comes close to the point of collapsing hehehe, hay that’s not a bad idea…
[thumbsup]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-17-2005 07:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're going down the wrong path with this one. Nobody will take it seriously.

A better story would be "Rocky Jr." Rocky's son (who was born in Rocky III, I think) wanted to be a boxer like his dad was, but we find out through flashbacks that he was led down the wrong path by "bad" people -- money, hookers, drugs, etc. After finally "hitting bottom," he winds up in jail and penniless. A dude he meets in jail reminds him of how great Rocky was in the old days, so after a long period of self-reflection, the kid heads for the prison library and reads all the old newspaper articles about his Dad's past glories. This (along with a montage from the previous Rocky movies) inspires him to redeem himself, so when he gets out of jail he goes into training (coached by his Dad, of course), finally racing up the famous Philly staircase (with the famous ROCKY theme remixed into a heavy rap featuring 50 Cent), and winds up getting into the ring and kicking the ass of some heavyweight champion of the universe, with Dad (and Adrian, of course) cheering at the sidelines.

I came up with this story in under 2 minutes and it makes more sense than Stallone's story, so imagine how good it could be if an actual writer put some actual work into it.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2005 07:44 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Stallone is looking better most guys his age... he's back to his old muscular self. Hard to believe he's almost 60. He's been pimping his line of supplements around lately, and looks like he's doing quite well these days.

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2005 10:30 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.azimut2001.com/images/sfondi/attori/stallone.jpg

http://www.delesprie.com/secondary.php/page/celeb-stallone

http://originaldo.com/sylvester-stallone-superman.jpg

http://idata.over-blog.com/0/08/30/45/rambo-41.jpg

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2005 10:46 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/scifitv/images/SixMillion.jpg

Or “Steve Austin” Astronaut a man barely alive, we can rebuild him we have the technology we can make him better than he was, better stronger faster…..“The Six Million Dollar Man” “Lee Majors” was cool I’ve heard rumours they where planning a version of “The Cyborg” so when are they going to this…. [beer] [thumbsup]

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2005 11:40 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it gets released next Summer, it'll have to do battle at the box office with Snakes on a Plane [uhoh]

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2005 11:46 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate snakes, so what’s with this film called “Snakes On A Plane”? I’ve seen a poster with “Samuel L. Jackson” on the front, but still puzzled.

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 10-18-2005 01:28 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rumor is that they are trying to get Roy Jones Jr. to play the foe Mason "the line" Dixon.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-18-2005 02:13 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since Burgess Meredith "Mickey" his trainer has passed away afew Rockys ago. He should get a real special trainer like Bob Maar. [bob] [beer]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: