Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Cell Phone Handset Insurance--Nearly Completely Worthless

Author Topic: Cell Phone Handset Insurance--Nearly Completely Worthless
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-19-2005 09:56 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a sucker. I'm pretty hard on these things and usually manage to kill one every 12 to 18 months so last time I sprang for the insurance without giving it much thought. Cometime to use it, it is very inconvenient, just about the same cost as buying the phone outright. You pay the $5.00 every monthe for the so called coverage. In a year thats $60., add the $30. copay, add in some shipping and it's over $100. Factor in 3 to 5 days while they shuffle papers, plus 3 or 4 days for it to travel, it you really depend on the cell phone, your're screwed. Then they usually ship some bottom the line, cheap skate special to replace your upper line mega function phone. While I was in the store there were 3 people raising hell about the low line equipment they had received to replace high line phones. Unfortunately for them the contract is with the insurance carrier, not the cell company.

On top of all that, the monthly fee will go to $6. in Dec. and the copay goes to $50.

I bought a phone outright to get back in business and filed the claim as well, so next time there will be a backup. Sent my cancellation along with the claim form.

It isn't really insurance, just a $6. a month downpayment with a baloon payment at the end.

|  IP: Logged

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2005 12:51 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try to get an old favourite phone and run it in "tandem" with your new flash phone. That way if you lose/break your phone, you can carry on for a while with "old faithful.
My oldie is  -

Small, excellent battery life and will live longer than me.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-20-2005 01:57 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, extended warranties and/or insurance policies for individual, big-ticket electronics items are an almighty scam. A few weeks ago I read a Sunday newspaper feature about how sales assistants in shops make more commission on extended warranties than they do on selling the product themselves. It noted that, in many claims situations, they fail to deliver (as Bill found out).

I had an experience to back that up, when I bought my last laptop just over two years ago. Having established what model I was after, I researched the costs of buying from PC World and online-only retailers. There was only a few quid in it, and to save the hassle of waiting at home for a courier delivery, I went to PC World. Having told the assistant what model I wanted to buy, he first tried to flog me a more expensive one with features I didn't want. After we'd got past that stage, he started with the extended warranty pitch. This was by no means cheap - something like £250 for three years.

If you think about how much a laptop is going to depreciate in that time, it probably wouldn't be economic (i.e. the PC would be worth less than the price of the warranty) to get it fixed if it suffered a major hardware failure at 2 1/2 years anyway. 'Oh, but what if it gets a virus in it?', the teenage sales assistant persisted. I explained that I'd been building my own PCs for almost a decade and was more than capable of reinstalling Windows, should the need arise. He kept at it, at which point I replied, 'OK - why don't you stop trying to sell me anything other than the machine itself, because if you don't, I'm walking right out of here and getting one from Ebuyer.' He still didn't get the hint. 'Oh, but I'm sure you'd appreciate the peace of mind...'

So I did walk out and get one from Ebuyer, and with one exception (a camera that was virtually being given away after a major high street retailer discountined 35mm SLRs and was clearing its remaining stock) have never bought any such item from a high street store again. As far as insurance goes, I added the laptop to my home contents cover, which costs me £15 a year and includes cover for anywhere in the UK. OK, there's a £50 excess on any claim, but that's a small fraction of the individual policies the shops try to sell you. I got rid of my mobile 'phone a couple of years ago, but I did the same thing there when I had one - it cost me £10 a year to add it to my household policy. Admittedly that didn't cover breakdown (just accidental loss or theft), but these things go wrong so rarely that I reckon that, over a lifetime, it makes no sense whatsoever to shell out for insurance/warranty deals for individual items.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-20-2005 02:02 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..head on over to ShopKo, to RatShack, or to Cingular and get you one of those "fill-it-up-with-a-prepay-card" TrakPhones, so you won't get bit with contracts and junk.

Just pay as you go type of thingey.

-Monte

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2005 06:52 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a phone get damaged once and gave my cell carrier the choice - give me a new phone or shut off my service so I can go get a free phone from their competition. They shipped me one second day. Of course, at that point I had been with them 7 years.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 10-20-2005 07:52 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree; the extended warranty or insurance is usually worthless. Here in the USA, most cell phone carriers can not have two cell phones set to the same number. Also, a new rule was put in place were any cell phone added to the network must have the newer '911' emergency calling features. (This is a feature for emergency responders to trace your location to the nearest cell tower.) This means they will not re-enable that perfectly-good older cell phone you have in the drawer.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2005 06:33 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you think the retailer pushes those policies do hard? They are making lots of money off them, which means that YOU are losing lots of money on them. Don't let them snow you, just say NO.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2005 11:17 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My phone uses a SIM card. To change phones all I need to do is take my card out of one phone and stick it into another.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2005 11:33 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've certainly gotten by fine without a cell phone.

Rick Hunter
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2005 12:25 AM      Profile for Rick Hunter   Email Rick Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for me, a phone that folds in half has at least one too many moving parts.

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2005 01:29 AM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually like my insurance through Nextel...err Sprint.....Even for the little dents and scratches they will replace the caseing for "free".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: