Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Are You What You Drink? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Are You What You Drink?
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-20-2005 04:44 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
From the Los Angeles Times Calendar Feature Section

NIGHT LIFE
The 86-proof solution
It's men's turn to be dissected on their first-date drink orders.
By Brad Dickson
Special to The Times

October 20, 2005

What you drink might indeed give your date an immediate idea about who you
are, and in this space last week female readers enjoyed a primer on what
their companions derive from that first beverage order.

But does a guy's choice of drink leave a similar first impression?

Probably - even if it's not the first impression.

I mean, by the time a dude gets to the all-important drink stage of a first
date, he has been under plenty of scrutiny. So that "instant opinion" she
forms when he orders his drink? It's usually the 353rd opinion she's formed
in 10 minutes. (Including the conclusion drawn when he scratched his nose
three times with his right hand. Ah-ha!)

After consulting some female friends and random mixologists, I submit to you
guys a compendium of popular drinks - and what that woman could be thinking
when you order one:

Beer on tap:
Women told me they think a man who orders a beer is reliable, down-to-earth
and low-maintenance. But he may put his dog - possibly a Labrador mix named
Prince - before them.

Dark beer:
Women were divided - Is he overtly masculine, or is he a guy who's playing
pseudo-sophisticate to the nth degree?

Cosmopolitan:
Shops at Pier One. Women immediately place in the "friend" category.

Martini:
Just blurt it out - "Let me impress you with my suave, metrosexual ways."
Women view this drink as a sign of social skills. On the Westside, this is
particularly effective, since the martini will frequently be ordered with a
faux British accent.

Mike's Hard Lemonade:
A rank amateur. Women check the ID to make sure he's really 21.

Rum and Coke:
Women said "Average Joe," a joiner, a person so nondescript he's a possible
future Supreme Court nominee.

Scotch on the rocks:
Elegant, sophisticated, with manly Old World charm. Either that or he read
the book "999 Ways to Impress Chicks" while working the drive-through
window.

Harvey Wallbanger:
A man's man; the type who goes to football games shirtless with five of his
friends, each with a letter across his torso spelling out their team's
nickname.

Red Bull and vodka:
A bandwagon-jumper who wears a shirt emblazoned in 14-inch "Tommy Hilfiger"
lettering and asks "How about our Angels?" even though he's not certain what
sport they play.

Wine (red or white):
Distinguished and ambitious. Although that vacant staring at the wine list
is viewed as a way of avoiding conversation.

Long Island iced tea:
"My backseat sleeps two comfortably."

Gin and tonic:
Possibly dull, he regales dates with complaints about his failed third
marriage.

Margarita:
"The party didn't even get started till 4:30 in the morning and then we were
still doing Jell-O shooters at 7 p.m. the next day" type.

Tequila:
Women surmise a tequila drinker is a free spirit. Always a chance he could
cancel a future date due to court-ordered attendance at an AA meeting.

Club soda:
First thing a woman thinks is "on the wagon." Second thing she thinks is
"cheap." Best way to determine which is to see if he takes you to Norm's
[an inexpensive Los Angeles restaurant chain] on your second date and then
says it's his birthday so he gets the free sliver of carrot cake.

Zima:
Women think you're the type who will invite them back to your double-wide to
watch the "Dukes of Hazzard" marathon.

- Brad Dickson can be reached at weekend@latimes.com.

|  IP: Logged

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2005 04:49 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Phil’

“Robinsons” (summer fruits) is what I drink damn tasty and refreshing, the drink is indispensable.
http://www.expats-shoppingarcade.co.uk/thumbs/h%201.jpg
[thumbsup]

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2005 07:05 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that list didn't say anything about Diet Mello Yellow. [Frown]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-20-2005 07:24 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorites in no particular order:

Dark beer
Margaritas
Rum & coke
Various tequilas
Lawn Guyland iced tea

And some that weren't on that list:

Kahlua and cream
Various sakes, both hot and cold
Shochu

Read into that list whatever you will. I couldn't care less. [Big Grin]

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2005 07:53 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
All right, all right “Baileys” Irish-cream on Ice-cream WOW delicious

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/miezerd/Dingetjes/baileys.jpg [thumbsup]

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 10-20-2005 08:07 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I adore dark beer. Guinness (Draught or Stout brews) is always a good standby drink. However, I am NEITHER overtly masculine nor pseudo-sophisticated. I've just numbed my taste buds over the years that a rich, dark, embittered beer is soothing and tasty. Manly? Hardly.

Both assessments imply the dark beer drinker is trying, in some capacity, to be impressive. If pseudo-sophisticates are trying to "pretend" to be authentically sophisticated, this means that ACTUAL sophisticated people drank dark beer first! So why must a dark beer drinker be necessarily relegated to the designation "pseudo", if they logically can exist in both classes? We learned syllogisms in first year Logic and Philosophy, did we not!?! Oh, wait, this list was assembled from WOMEN'S assessments, and, as we all know, women are rarely, if ever, logical! [Razz] [Wink] [Cool] [beer]

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 10-20-2005 08:19 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about a woman that drinks Rum and Coke? Captain and Coke to be more specific.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-20-2005 08:37 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Zima:
Women think you're the type who will invite them back to your double-wide to watch the "Dukes of Hazzard" marathon.

I thought only under-age girls drank that Zima crap! I don't know about other places, but in my part of Oklahoma a fellow being seen in public with a Zima in his hand would be one way for him to say he's coming out of the closet.

I'm no great, sophisticated drinker. Pretty much just a beer guy. Michelob or Bud Dry is decent for football games. I seem to enjoy lots of different Mexican beer, whether it's Sol, Dos Equis (amber or dark) or Corona. Tecate is even great. One lady warned me, "you'll get mono drinking that." I replied, "don't worry, I've had my shots." Dark beer is great at parties. That's because I drink them more slowly. That allows me to watch everyone else get hammered well before I get drunk. Then the practical jokes and video making can ensue.

Hard drinks are scary. For some reason, I think it's easier to do Tequila shooters than shots of Crown or Makers. But I can't pace myself doing shots or even mixed drinks for that matter. It's a bad deal if a friend has to drive you home and you vomit all over the passenger side of your vehicle. Not the vehicle I own now, but the one I used to have years ago.
[evil]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-20-2005 08:38 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chipper:

Rum and Coke: This is a basic, and fairly safe, drink choice. Someone who likes to have fun but can keep herself in check.

quote: The Far More Important Article

October 13, 2005

NIGHT LIFE
I'll have a first impression, with a twist
*If there's truth in wine, then what about tequila? Or a Cosmo? To your date, that drink order may speak volumes.

By Nicole Roberge, Special to The Times

The request seems innocent enough: "We should go for a drink sometime," he says. Happy he even asked you, you pretty yourself up. Hair is perfect, just-so-subtle makeup, and of course a great new outfit. Sure, you may have the typical first-date jitters, but that should all be secondary to the one looming danger of first-date drinks: What should you order to drink?

Like it or not, ladies, that initial drink order speaks more to your date than your perfect hair. Though most guys I've talked with agree that it is better to go for drinks first because it helps to loosen things up a bit, they also admit that they make assumptions about their date based on what she orders to drink.

The second you order your drink, he forms an opinion of you. And from that second on, he knows if it's going to be a bad night, a good night or a really good night (see: tequila).

Before you start downing those shots — or gingerly sipping your wine — here are some drinks decoded, so the next time a guy asks you out for a drink you can check your jitters at the bar.

Beer: It doesn't matter what kind you drink, most guys approve and it shows you are laid-back and comfortable in your surroundings, not trying to impress anyone.

But they advise that if it is a first date and you're going for drinks somewhere other than a sports bar, it's probably not the best choice.

Wine (red or white): A bit refined, or at least pretending to be.

Margarita: A fun-loving girl with lots of personality.

Gin and tonic: Guys are split on this one. Some say it signifies a sophisticated woman; others say it is someone looking to get drunk.

Either way, it signals that you may have hit your grandma's liquor cabinet early on. Use sparingly.

Martini: Somewhat classy — or you just like the fun glass.

Cosmopolitan: A bit trendy, and some guys view it as snobby. Also, it shows someone with expensive taste. So if the guy's paying the bill, steer clear of this one, especially if the date's going badly. He doesn't want to have to take out a loan to buy you drinks.

Long Island iced tea: He knows how much alcohol is in it — and that you might end up spending the night feeling very, very ill.

Rum and Coke: This is a basic, and fairly safe, drink choice. Someone who likes to have fun but can keep herself in check.

Whiskey and Coke: Borderline alcoholic. Someone who is a bit sassy, will speak her mind and won't care what anyone thinks.

Vodka cranberry: Someone not familiar with many drinks, but who still likes to have fun and knows that vodka will do the trick without tasting too bad.

Red Bull and vodka: An absolute party girl. Save this one for the club.

Smirnoff Ice/Mike's Hard Lemonade/wine cooler: He probably won't appreciate this drink choice; unless your date is at the 7-Eleven, get a real drink.

Mudslide/white Russian: Any drink with milk in it scares guys.

Sea breeze/Midori sour/amaretto sour: A bit of a good girl. Someone who likes to drink but doesn't like the taste of alcohol.

Tequila: Guys dig a tequila drinker, but some claim "she is a keeper — just for the night though." Avoid at all costs if you don't want to end up seeing his sheets. Otherwise, bottoms up.

Despite the differences in drinks, the message remains the same — he sizes you up by your preference in alcohol.

But don't change your typical drink order to give a different perception of yourself. If your martini and his Bud don't mesh well, then so be it. When you move in together, at least your liquor cabinet will have lots of variety.

Nicole Roberge can be reached at weekend@latimes.com.

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2005 08:49 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Quote-Rachel

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 10-20-2005 09:18 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am thinking about taking up drinking. Can anyone give me a suggestion on what would be good for me?

Be Honest.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-20-2005 09:20 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This guy seems pretty cool.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-20-2005 09:21 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm no expert. But stay away from the Listerine and eating baking soda routine.

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2005 09:32 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
umm sounds like this then…. [puke] Not very pleasant, but no more pleasant then "Mr Dolby CP-650" getting it twice a day…no what I mean.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-20-2005 09:38 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Martini]

To make 'em perfectly dry, just whisper "vermouth" across the glass...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: