Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Hollywoods Effect On The Car Hobby

Author Topic: Hollywoods Effect On The Car Hobby
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2005 08:51 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose y'all remember the Cage/Jolie film "Gone In 60 Seconds". Well, the actual "star" of the film was the "'67 Shelby Mustang" called "Eleanor".

Anyhow, that was strictly a movie car; those body mods and mechanical upgrade parts did not exist in '67.

The body mods were fiberglass parts created by the movie car builder, and for a while were available to the public for a whopping $2000.00 or so. That company has since discontinued selling those parts, but they are now "unofficially" available from other manufacturers.

The mechanical upgrades came from a variety of vendors and were available to the public long before the movie came out. They are made for most mid '60s Ford applications, including my '65 Falcon.

Basically, a stock '67 Mustang "289/C-4" is about a $5000.00 - $15,000.00 car, depending on condition. And who cars about body damage? With the amount of new sheetmetal available (from original and new dies) it is almost possible to build a brand new '65-'67 Mustang.

So, whats my point?

After the movie came out, stupid people with too much $$ to spend started deciding that they too wanted "Eleanors", and were willing to pay major $$ for them.

Actually, it would cost about $60k-$80k to build the car, with all those added upgrades. And most of those upgrade parts are direct bolt-in items that can be installed in your driveway or garage. Some parts require some welding, but it is minimal.

So, this company in Texas called "Unique Performance" starts building these cars...buying up '67 fastbacks and doing ground-off restromods. This company got a lot of publicity on the television program "Rides", and that publicity made it sound like this was the only shop in the world capable of building these cars! [uhoh] [Eek!]

So now, this company is charging about $125,000 to roughly $200,000 for these cars! Why? Because somehow they managed to concoct a deal with Carol Shelby and FOMOCO to issue new Shelby/Unique Performance VIN Numbers/Data tags for these rebuilt 40 year old bodies! And these cars are now considered "authentic" Shelbys and are now listed in the Shelby Registry!

Does Shelby's shop have anything to do with the build? Not as far as I know. But new Shelby parts like his new "427" and interior parts are being used on these cars.

Cheers

K

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-22-2005 09:24 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Will Kutler
Well, the actual "star" of the film was the "'67 Shelby Mustang" called "Eleanor".
Nonsense, the star was the '70 Superbird that appeared in about 36 frames.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-22-2005 09:30 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I hope the folks buying those cars are only doing so to make themselves happy.

Someone could drive up alongside me with one of those modded $100,000+ cars. I might say, "nice car," but that's about it. I would not be impressed with the driver as a person at all -at least not on the basis of his car. Basically it would be a lot of money to spend for many people like myself to still not give a shit.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2005 11:52 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting thing is that a local antique-hot rod dealership has one of those Eleanors in the show room. Shelby America/Unique Performance VIN #001, and the selling price is in excess of $250,000. I was able to get up close and personal with that car, and believe me when I say that it is no where near a $250,000 car! Enough body and trim damage to choke a horse! From what I saw, some very shoddy paint and bodywork!

Cheers

K.

John Hegel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2005 02:47 AM      Profile for John Hegel   Author's Homepage   Email John Hegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That almost makes me think I should get going on one of my "long-term" projects.

-

My fear is that this car is to far gone, but I keep saying one day I'll start working on it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: