Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Admit it: You forgot the time change too (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Admit it: You forgot the time change too
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-30-2005 01:49 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked the TV program online and it took me a very long moment to figure out why there are shows on at 1am and after that again at 1am. I reloaded the page twice before it dawned on me that it's time to change the clocks again.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-30-2005 02:53 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..nice thing about computers and some celphones: they do it automatically, thus reminding you to "get with the program."

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-30-2005 03:09 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Electronic devices which set themselves automatically are nice: the problem I find is that so many things have a clock in them nowadays that it takes forever to do the ones which don't. Even in my small studio flat there must be something like 10-15 devices which have to be manually reset each time.

I didn't forget, because every year here there is a debate as to whether we should continue with Daylight Saving Time. The main argument of those who oppose it is that the darker evenings lead to more road accidents, which is apparently backed up by figures showing that drivers are more likely to make errors while the sky is going from light to dark than the other way round. Those who support it point out that in the north of Scotland, abandoning DST would mean that it wouldn't even start to get light until around 9am in the depths of winter.

Personally I don't really mind either way: on a typical weekday I'm driving to work between 6.30-7.30am and back again between 6-7pm, and the difference would simply be which of those two trips I got the extra daylight on. But there are some quite powerful arguments for moving to GMT+1 all the year round. Weekends can be a bit depressing - in December and January the light's pretty much gone by 3.30pm. I tend to agree with the safety lobby about driving while it's getting dark - for one thing, a lot of people forget to switch their headlights on until it's almost pitch black, whereas in the morning they'll leave them on even after it's got light enough to drive (and be seen) without them. And moving to GMT+1 would bring our time zone into line with most of Western Europe's: no more faffing about putting your watch forward when popping across to France or The Netherlands.

But Scotland is so far north that I can see why they don't like the idea of dark mornings. Given that there are time zone boundaries within and between many US states which work perfectly well, I fail to see why the Scotish Parliament couldn't decide to keep the existing system, while England and Wales moves to GMT+1 all the year round.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-30-2005 05:55 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. I didn't forget. I'm afraid you are all alone like always, Michael. I don't even need to remember because all of my clocks and appliances use SPACE AGE TECHNOLOGY and switch the time automatically themselves.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2005 06:51 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I always remember. It's a big nuisance thing for me to do twice a year when we could easily remain the same time as the rest of Western Europe. This time my DVD & VHS recorders failed to change due to a BBC Ceefax timestamp fault in this area which is still ongoing.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 10-30-2005 07:17 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oops, I forgot.....thank you. [Embarrassed]

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2005 07:21 AM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Bugger me man, I’d almost forgot, fortunate we have the Film-Tech around to tell the others, cheers Michael.

Joe’ why are you hear I bet that digital clock above the HDTV is spot on, I need a nuclear clock damn I always forget, I can imagine what it’s like living in Canada 6 mouths of darkness wow that’s cool…sorry freezing my ass off…LOL

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2005 08:46 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael.......we did the same thing here. My wife and I were watching the TV Guide channel and could not figure out why the times went from 1:30AM back to 1AM. Then she remembered the time change. Thank God for her because I didn't even know there was a time change. I used to always be reminded by the news (the local channels were all I used to get so I was forced to watch news or nothing at all) but now I can't stand watching the news because it is so depressing.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2005 08:56 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My watch and alarm clock are atomic, so I didn't have to worry about that. But my VCR (no Tivo [Frown] ) has to be changed so I don't miss CSI tomorrow on Spike TV.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2005 09:45 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In AZ, we never have to worry about this silly time change crap (I think).

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2005 11:30 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reminded by a manager more dilligent than myself this morning at 1Am as I was getting home.
Stayed up till 2 though for good measure to make sure my phone reset so I could get my alarm set right [Smile]

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2005 11:37 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't forget.. but I didn't set the clocks back.. I fell asleep on the couch last night...

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-30-2005 12:28 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't forget. Only the central air timer, microwave, TV, alarm clock and my watch need tending. The living room clock, VCRs and the PC are slaved to WWV.

Someday I will live in a place where such semi-annual silliness is not observed. [Roll Eyes]

Robert Harrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2005 12:36 PM      Profile for Robert Harrison   Email Robert Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Dr. Who ever worries about a time change?

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2005 01:27 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Mayer
Someday I will live in a place where such semi-annual silliness is not observed.

Paul , surely where you live silliness is a 24/7 thing all year round [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: