Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What is so Good About New Zealand Anyways? ...and Other Questions About Down Under (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What is so Good About New Zealand Anyways? ...and Other Questions About Down Under
Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2005 10:35 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just realized that there seems to be a lot of people on this forum from New Zealand. I was looking through a few threads and saw several different names with a New Zealand location.

My wife and I are planning a trip for this August to go to Australia for a few weeks. If New Zealand is such a great place, we may be tempted to stop there too. [thumbsup] We have friends that were transferred to Brisbane for a few years and next August they come home so we want to visit while they are still there. What do you Australians/New Zealanders suggest for things to do in in your countries? The only two things that are a must for us so far are the Great Barrier Reef and the opera house in Sydney.

I believe we are purchasing a pack of flights through Qantas that will let us fly all over Australia while we are there.

*edited to change Quantas to Qantas.* My mistake.

[ 03-28-2006, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Joshua Waaland ]

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-07-2005 11:15 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that Peter Jackson guy likes to make all of his movies there.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2005 01:46 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do the bridge climb in Sydney. It's a little pricey but well worth it.
North of Brisbane (not to far) is a little town called Noosa. It's a very pleasant place and has sort of a nature preserve within walking distance. You can see all sorts of wildlife there. I like the turkeys. Their tails are 90° out from out turkeys so they look like they have rudders.

While in Sydney leave the wife home and check out Bondi Beach [evil]

Lots of Sheila watching there. [Big Grin]

Australia is a great place. Very pleasant people. We're going back soon

Good beer too

Emma Tomiak
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2005 02:07 AM      Profile for Emma Tomiak   Author's Homepage   Email Emma Tomiak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to be in Hamilton anytime in June, let me know and we can hang out. I'm going to be studying there from February through mid July.

Oh, I might have already said this, but my member pic is me abseiling 100m down into a huge cavern. It's a tour thing called the "Lost World" in Waitomo. You can abseil, black water raft, and do lots of cool underground stuff.

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2005 04:54 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I think there are more Australian projectionist on here then from New Zealand....but anyway.

Definatly agree with what Greg said to do in Sydney, also check out Darling Habour and possible go to IMAX there (WORLDS biggest screen), The Powerhouse Museam is worth a look at. It is actually hard to think of things for you to do even thought there is tonnes! Will you be coming over to Perth? I definatly recomend you come and see it- Kings Park, Rotnest, Fremantle, Valley of the Giants (which is in Pemberton),Swan River. Perth is a fairly quiet and relaxed place that shuts down pretty early most week nights except for the resteraunt districts. Broome (up north WA) is a great place to relax at.

I have not been to New Zealand but would definatly like to go there, a really great place I am told. Might be my next holiday...

Stephen Brown
Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2005 05:16 AM      Profile for Stephen Brown   Email Stephen Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joshua,

Ok, Important safety tip #1. Its called QANTAS, no U. It actually stands for Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services. Common mistake. You only make it once.

Theres heaps to do in Australia, it just depends what your into. If your starting in Brisbane you can go North to the Sunshine Coast (where Noosa is located) and if your pre-disposed to the Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin, you can visit his Zoo there. The Sunshine Coast also has some great beaches and places where you can get lost quickly. South of Brisbane is the Gold Coast, which is where the theme parks are (Seaworld, Dream World, and Warner Brothers Movie World). Its a very touristy place, too touristy for a lot ot Aussies, but if thats your thing then check it out. Its always good for a perv (looking at the fairer sex).

Bear in mind that in Australia we also have some low cost airlines Jetstar and Virgin Blue, so jumping on a plane cheaply and going somewhere for a couple of days is relatively simple. I do it all the time.

If your going up to the Reef you have a couple of options. The Great Barrier Reef is a big long bit of Coral that runs for the majority of the Queensland coast, so there are different points you can see it from. The Whitsunday Islands is a popular place which is made up of a lot of small islands off the coast. Most of them have resorts on them so staying up there is easy, but can be a bit pricey. Another option to see the Reef is to head all the way up to Cairns. They have boats that leave from there everyday of the year and head out to the reef, where they will take you diving/snorkling. Thats a pretty popular option. Also while in Cairns you can see the world heritage listed Daintree Rainforest. A fantastic trip (done it myself), just watch out for the Crocodiles up there, they seem to have taken a liking to eating American tourists lately.

Which Amphitheatre are you talking about in Sydney?? I'm with Greg, do the Bridge Climb. Its a great way to see Sydney. If your in Sydney there are a lot of Day trip options available to you. West of Sydney is the Blue Mountains which is so named because of the colour they take on. You can also head on up to the Hunter Valley, where theres some fantastic Wine country (if your into Wine). Theres the usual beaches and all that sort of stuff. Bondi Beach is okay, but thats where all the the tourists go. Try the Northern beaches area of Sydney (Manly. Narabeen).

Theres an awful lot to tell, and not much room to tell it, so if you want some more information, drop me an email with some specifics and I will give you some detailed information.

I do know that New Zealand is full of Kiwis and Sheep. Oh, and they like to jump off tall things with bungy cord attached to their ankles (yeah, I know, its Wierd).

Steve Brown

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2005 07:15 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think we will skip the theme parks. We have one about 10 minutes from here and I grew up next to one. My parents would buy me a season pass and drop me off all summer with my friends. It was a cheap babysitter for them. I have had enough roller coasters to last me a lifetime.

Thanks for all the tips folks. I will definitely check into them. [thumbsup]

[ 03-28-2006, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Joshua Waaland ]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-08-2005 12:45 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Sydney many years ago. Was there training spacecraft controllers for the then brand new Aussat (now Optus) satellite communications network. Commuted every day from our hotel in Manly Beach to the Operations Control Center in Belrose and had the run of the city evenings and weekends. Great place, one of the few I've been to where American visitors weren't mocked or despised.

Definitely want to go back.

Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2005 05:49 PM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are coming down this way, a trip to New Zealand is well worth it. It has been said that NZ has a piece of every country in the world in terms of scenery and you don't have to travel that far to see it once you are here. It's one of the reasons that American producers are coming here to make films. Many Americans are buying property here and staying.

In May and July you will be in our winter which means that the snow capped mountains at Queenstown in the south island will be magnificent. If you are into skiing, tramping, bungie jumping, riding rapids, and fishing, there is plenty. If you want to take it easy, you can go on many tours and see the scenery, lakes and mountains as well as whales jumping around off the coast of Kaikora. The towns and cities in the South Island reflect the British influence.

In the North Island, which is warmer, there is great scenery and thermal activity at Rotorua with much entertaining Maori culture available. The Maori were here before european settlement. Up North there is the Bay of Islands with great scenery and many tours.

The capital is Wellington at the bottom of the North Island where Peter Jackson is building a large facility. You can go on a tour of locations and see where the LOTR films were made if you are so inclined.

The largest city is Auckland in the north of the North Island where there is plenty to see. We have still got some of our old theatres such as the atmospheric Civic Auckland but unfortunately, like most parts of the world, we have lost most of our magnificent picture palaces. I consider myself fortunate to have worked in some of them.

There is plenty of material about New Zealand on the web and our dollar exchange rate is in your favour. If you end up in Auckland, let me know and I'll show you some plexes.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2005 05:56 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Duh, it's new [Big Grin]

The only way it could be better is if it were New Digital Zealand!

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2005 07:12 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After we were there a few days I started noticing how pleasent the Oz "accent" is. The whole speech pattern is sort of happy sounding.
It makes for a very pleasent, relaxed feeling

I think this ad was filmed in the same location as the LOTR trilogy
so you get a little peak at NZ
http://www.bigad.com.au/

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2005 12:04 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi from an Australian

Here is what I think you will find to be the best thing about Australia & New Zealand.

If you stay at a three star motel in Australia you will be surprised at the good quality accommodation you will receive. Generally speaking our motels are clean, serviced well, properly run and nice places to stay. Having experienced American motels you will impressed I promise you. Further the people that run the motels are generally friendly and helpful too.

NZ motels are even better and Kiwis are very friendly. Don't miss Rotorua with its mud pools, thermal activity and Maori culture.

cheers Peter

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-09-2005 08:17 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With many of the motels/hotels in the states run by immigrants from a third world country the quality and service is about as shabby as you would expect and certainly don't expect a thank you or a smile, rude and sullen is pretty typical here a standard that is easy to exceed.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2005 12:08 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I can think of a bunch of experiences in hotels here in US, run by americans, that sound like that.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2005 12:40 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OOps

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: