Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Windows XP Task Manager Aggravation

Author Topic: Windows XP Task Manager Aggravation
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-14-2005 04:15 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about it, but isn't the Task Manager under Windows XP Pro supposed to have some Windows style application window buttons on it so you can close the freaking window after it displays?

Currently my fairly new computer at work is displaying the following kind of window for Task Manager:

-

Of course, I Photoshopped in the typographic comment in that white space.

Anyway, is there something I can do to FORCE Windows to restore the damned window buttons on that thing so it can operate like any other program window? The way it works right now just seems like it was designed by a complete fuck-tard.
[Mad]

What makes matters worse is that if I need to bring up Task Manager to shut down some errant application (usually CorelDRAW 9) I can't even get the itty bitty task manager icon to display on the task bar at the bottom of the screen. The only way to get rid of task manager is to reboot. Absolutely rotten.

|  IP: Logged

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2005 07:21 PM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] dude thats crazy, I have never seen that before....uh ok just googled it and check this out and see if it helps http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=18004

Edit: Ok just tried it, to fix it double click on the top of the window.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-14-2005 09:13 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, some jackass decided it'd look cool without a menu bar, like a skinned Windows Media Player.

If I recall correctly double clicking, or using ALT+F should display the menu bar. I can't remember if both methods work for sure though... and despite repeated attempts the task manager isn't appearing in X for me. duh!

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2005 02:21 AM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Double-click into that window should help. Had this too. Microsoft sucks.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-15-2005 11:53 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. The double click thing fixed it. Thanks.

I'm wondering if this is an issue with nVidia video card chipsets. I've found several things on the Internet pointing toward that. Wierd.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 12-15-2005 12:44 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it is a feature. If you look around in the menu bar, there is an option to hide it.

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2005 01:10 PM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
even though it's a feature, the Nvidia software that is installed with the drivers might enable the feature without letting the user know.

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2005 01:18 PM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has not really something to do with nVidia software (better: I canot believe that); my notebook uses ATI and I had the same issue.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 12-15-2005 01:54 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually this is seen on OEM versions of Windows XP (and a select few OEM versions of 2000 which also has tiny footprint mode). I know that it is set in a number of Dell system images as I've long ago set my GPOs to override the setting so that I don't have to listen to employees bitch about it whenever we're nice enough to give them a new machine to use.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314227

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-15-2005 07:25 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My office PC is a Dell Dimension 9100 system. However, task manager was not set in that configuration (sans menu bar, buttons, etc.). The silly thing just started doing that nonsense all by itself just a couple days ago.

Frankly it is a dumb-assed feature. It does very little to conserve desktop real estate, it is counter productive, counter intuitive and only seems to serve the purpose of pissing off computer users.

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2005 12:57 AM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like this just happened by accident. Happened to me too. But you are right; this is just plain stupid.

James Falloon
Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2005 06:44 AM      Profile for James Falloon   Email James Falloon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hay that's quite cool, I use the task manager quite a lot and I didn't know it could do that.

P.S. If you want to bring up the task manager quickly press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Robert Burtcher
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2006 04:20 AM      Profile for Robert Burtcher   Email Robert Burtcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CTRL-ALT-DEL also quickly brings up the task manager.

When using the Task Manager, you can press the ESC key to exit Task Manager.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: