Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What's your favorite movie poster? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: What's your favorite movie poster?
Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2005 11:51 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just looking at the posters on my walls thinking how the original poster for The Empire Strikes Back is my favorite poster of all time. Something about it just puts me at peace with the world. What's your favorite poster?
 -

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2005 12:12 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is what i have on my wall; Style-B one sheet.
 -

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-28-2005 01:09 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a pic of it, but I would say the favorite poster I own is the "Wizard of Oz" one where the characters are stepping out of the book. It's a reproduction of an old poster produced for one of the reissues. The book cover is in black-and-white and the characters are in color. Very classy looking.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-28-2005 05:51 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what's hanging on the wall in my room where my computer is:

-
The Frighteners. Probably the coolest poster I have. It is made of plastic and is holographic. When you move the jaw opens/closes and the facial expression changes. Also the words "Deat Yet?" move in and out. Freakin' awesome. I wish I was able to nab the Lost World holographic poster as well, but someone who (wrongfully) thought that they had rights too took it instead. The white horizontal line is caused by the (camera) flash.

-
Behind my computer desk are a couple of generic DTS and Dolby Digital EX posters. They looks fairly cool, and they makes me more cools since they are there.

-
Over in the corner I have a Nightmare Before Christmas. I love the movie and the poster is great as well. Still waiting for a true anamorphic DVD of the movie.

-
In the other corner I have Kill Bill 2 and Toy Story. In all honesty I prefer Kill Bill 1 (but I love 'em both), but part 2 had the cooler poster. I've had the Toy Story one forever. I heard they later changed Woody's expression into a smile. In Disney's fantasy world, nobody is supposed to "frown" ever for any reason. I know it was changed for the cover of the video and the LaserDisc. I like the expression on the poster the way it is.

-
Finally we have Pirates of the Caribbean. While I really enjoy the movie, I have to say that this poster is even better than the movie itself. I didn't like any of the lame-ass posters with headshots of the actors (way too original and creative for me) so I picked the skeleton pirate, which is freakin' awesome! I love skeletons. I hope to be a skeleton someday. Hopefully someone will do some really cool stop-motion animaton with my skeleton. That alone would justify my entire existence.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 12-28-2005 08:34 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the fat cat...

-

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2005 12:26 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Phibes 60x40

-

This is a fortunate topic; I see that the poster is collapsing & wrinkling behind the glass inside the frame. Sheesh, moving that thing to some framing place is going to be a pain...

A theatre nearby had a couple of storerooms paneled in what were the old, hand-painted one-sheet sized signboards for films in the silent & early days. I should have just pried them all off & taken them, like I wanted to. They were beautiful, but I'm pretty sure during the last "renovation" they were demo'd & dumpstered.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2005 12:58 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gattaca

Lost Highway

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-30-2005 12:16 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When people talk about movie poster artists, the names Bob Peak and Drew Struzan get mentioned immediately.

Bob Peak made the poster illustrations for "Camelot," "Superman: The Movie" and "Apocalypse Now" (probably his most famous poster).

Posters by Drew Struzan are easy to spot: great mixed media artwork signed "Drew". The "Back to the Future" poster is where he hit his stride and got prolific like crazy after that.

Still, I'm really fond of the work Richard Amsel did on the posters for "Raiders of the Lost Ark." I think his work was an influence on Drew Struzan.

-

The original release poster.

-

The more detailed re-release poster.

On to a bit of a rant:

It's kind of funny how this topic was brought up and it will be even more funny to see the results. Some people can argue about whether or not the movie industry is in a slump. One thing is for damned sure: movie poster art today is in a BIG slump.

Most movie posters these days suck brown oily ass. The majority are unremarkable Photoshopped photographs of actors heads. Or you might get a whole body photograph, or maybe a two-shot of two actors or an ensemble. Real illustrations are rare. The best we can seem to get these days is some different graphics -when they're not boring us to death with more Trajan type.

Here's why this is happening. The movie marketing people are designing movies more and more for video stores and home viewing. A complex illustration looks great in a poster case. But it doesn't translate very well when reduced down to the size of a DVD case. So they just stick an actor's surgery altered head on the fucking box. When you walk down the aisle in the video store the product isn't any more visually compelling than a stroll down the breakfast cereal aisle in the grocery store. Same principal at work. But the principal is crap at the movie theater. A big 27" X 41" poster needs more than just a face printed on it. It needs artwork.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 12-30-2005 03:05 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, these days, I don't think DVD releases even contain the original movie poster images, as bland as they are. I've noticed more that the faces or bodies are re-arranged. You've got a handful of Photoshop elements that you can drag-and-drop anywhere you like. 20 versions of the poster, one for each character, are a piece of cake, and the DVD box is just a variation, or collage, or whathaveyou. Yes, very uninspired.

I remember the Frighteners poster! Everyone loved that thing and wanted it ... not necessarily because it was a great movie, but because everyone I worked with at the time was a huge Danny Elfman fan and it had his name on it.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2005 03:26 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got this one hanging on the wall in my booth for screen 1. I tell my wife, "It's there for the kitchen guys"... it's really just for me. Making up prints at midnight on Thursday nights is alot less lonely now.
 -

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2005 03:34 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does your wife ever read these threads?

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2005 01:55 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Chronicles of Narnia lenticular is pretty eye-catching
 -

My favorites are:
 -  -  -

I have the last two, but I'm still looking for a double-sided version of the Fellowship of the Ring poster. The single-sided one just doesn't do the artwork justice.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2005 02:41 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I kinda dig my Ron Howard autographed A Beautiful Mind poster..

Now if I could only get Russel Crowe to sign it.. I'd be in bitness..

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-31-2005 02:56 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite movie poster is Sam Graham. [beer]

Robert Harrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2005 04:39 PM      Profile for Robert Harrison   Email Robert Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite poster among those in my collection is for a double feature of "Thunderball" and "You Only Live Twice." It combined artwork and stills from the original campaigns with the following wording...

CAN ONE MOTION PICTURE CONTAIN...
ALL THIS EXCITEMENT...
ALL THIS ADVENTURE...
ALL THESE BEAUTIFUL WOMEN!
NO...IT TAKES TWO...
THE TWO BIGGEST BONDS OF ALL!

That was back in the days when Bond posters had fantastic artwork, and not just a photo of the actor playing Bond. Now, unless it's a fantasy without name actors or an animated flick, posters are just mug shots of the damn actors in the film! BORING! The first "Harry Potter" was a pretty good one, but as the series went on and the kids became stars, the campaigns reverted to mug shots.

[ 12-31-2005, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Robert Harrison ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: