Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Video gamers: Are you out there? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Video gamers: Are you out there?
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2006 02:13 AM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there must be a bunch of video gamers on the FT Forums.

I have only ever owned the original Nintendo with Duck Hunt, Super Mario Brothers, etc. For Christmas, out of the blue, I got a Nintendo GameCube. I've always been a big fan of the Mario bros. and gang. (Like when you can play the original Super Mario Brothers when you stay in a hotel).

Anyways, I've been searching around for the original Super Mario Brothers games that have been upgraded onto GameCube. Do they actually do this? Wouldn't it be a big seller? Is there any way to actually burn the older games off the internet ontyo one of those tiny 8cm disks (I have a DVD burner)?

And, if none of that is possible, then what games are made for GameCube that would satisfy all my cravings for the original Super Mario Brother games?

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2006 02:26 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if you could burn those games off onto the mini-dvds, there'd be no way for the gamecube to recognize or play them. You have to use an emulator to play older games on newer systems like PCs or X-boxs, but most companies have intense protection against hacking into their console systems to install your own bios. In short, you're out of luck there.

Best you can do for your gamecube is get "Animal Crossing". I remember that game had a feature where you could unlock many of the old classic Nintendo games and play them as a bonus from within that game. Beyond that, you'd need to get used to playing the newer games made for the gamecube like Metroid Prime and any number of various Mario spin-off games.

Also of note is the new Nintendo console coming out that is said to be able to play all previous Nintendo console formatted games. We'll se how that turns out when its released. I would imagine they will use emulation programs to pull that off.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2006 02:37 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Wolff King Morrow
Best you can do for your gamecube is get "Animal Crossing".
Careful with this one! I owned it for two months. The game took over my life! I would be at work and would think "I wonder if I got any mail today" or "I wonder what I could sell to get the china hutch." Seriously, it sucked the soul out of me so I had to trade it in. I never got to unlock the old games because I was too obsessed with playing Animal Crossing!!

I do recommend getting both of the Metroid's for Game Cube. It was the only reason I bought a GC. I do have the original NES and would LOVE to play Goonies again if they ever are able to convert all the old games over.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2006 02:45 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Metroid games on the GC were simply outstanding AND made right here in the Dallas area!

Anyway, I'm an emulation nut, so I can freely play anything like Goonies II on my computer using my rom collection and a choice emulation program. My favorites for each system:

Nes: Nestopia (hands down the king of NES emulation)
Genesis and Master System: Kega Fusion (Gens was good but this one is even better now)
Turbografix: Magic Engine (have to pay for it, but it was worth the few bucks)
Neo Geo: Final Burn Alpha (I compiled my own version with drivers to play newer games)
SNES: ZSNES (not exactly the most accurate, but it is the current best available all around SNES emulator)

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2006 02:51 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Wolff King Morrow
Metroid games on the GC were simply outstanding
So outstanding that for a couple of nights, I would play them for so long in one sitting that I made myself get motion sickness and almost puked. Now THATS a good game [Wink]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-09-2006 03:13 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MAME32 emulator is the kick since this EM will let us play those grand ol' coin-op games of the 80's that a bunch of us loved to play.

Used to go buy a roll of quarters and "destroy" myself playing the Williams classics (that is now out on PSX and PC-CD), NAMCO, DataEast, Midway, Bally, ..and all of the neat pinball games as well..(I'm pretty good with Tony Hawk IV... LOL)

-Monte

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2006 03:46 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use ZSNES to get my Super Mario fix [Wink]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-09-2006 12:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had a video game since the Atari 5200. I've watched my younger brother play his Xbox and it seems pretty involving for him, but I was bored with most everything he was playing. I guess I just don't "get it."

I'm still waiting for a decent version of my all time classic game, "Defender." There's an online version which looks and sounds perfect, but the controls are lacking. (No thrust or reverse buttons).

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-09-2006 01:16 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what I recommend to play classic games:

Nintendo Entertainment System (NES): The real thing. Get the model 1 since it has A/V outs or get the model 2 and mod it for composite output. If you get a model 1 disassemble it and adjust the cartridge connector pins outward so that they make good connection with the actual cart. You won't even have to press the cart down once inserted for it to work. It would also be a good idea to clean the carts with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol since most people in the U.S. do not know how to take care of their personal possesions. Get a Super Mario Bros. cartridge for $5 or less at your local used game store or even thrift store. The NES itself should be cheap as well.

Sega Genesis: Real thing. No emulator gets this thing perfect, especially the sound. Get the model 1 revision 1. This unit is compatible with ALL Genesis games unlike the later models and doesn't have the lame "licensed by Sega" screen you must endure every time you turn on the unit. I found a model 1 Genesis attached to a model 1 Sega CD for $6.50 in a thrift tore yesterday, both in perfect working condition. A little dirty, but both cleaned up nicely. I could sell them on eBay for quite a hefty sum, but I'm going to keep 'em for spare parts. There is no need to mess with the cartridge connector pins on a Sega system since Sega knows how to build systems. You can mod this system internally for S-video or get an external chip that will allow you to connect it to S-video or even component.

Ooops... power to the entire house just went out. I also recommend you get a good UPS. They kick so much ass it is insane. Anyway back on topic:

TurboGrafx-16 (proper spelling): Real thing. Emulation for this thing is OK but the real machine is 10x better. Be sure to get the System 3.0 card for the CD-ROM and the Arcade Card as well. You can mod the TurboGrafx-16 for RGB and then use an external chip to convert to S-video or component.

Sega Saturn: Real thing. This system can not be properly emulated and it is an essential console if you fix it up to play Japanese imports (installation of a 4 pull double throw switch is the best way).

Playstation: Who cares?

Neo Geo: I'm not too sure about this 16-bit system. Usually I like the real machines, but the Neo Geo has a poorly designed and even worse built joystick as it's only method of control. It feels incredibly cheap. The CD system has a ridiculous control pad. If there were an adaptor to let you use a Sega Saturn Japanese 6-button pad (the best controller in the world), then that'd be the best way to go. You might as well emulate the Neo Geo. The Neo Geo is basically a Genesis on steroids, same internal architecture.

Super Nintendo (SNES): Real thing. Which model? Well the model 1 revision 1 likes to turn nicotine yellow for no reason. Try to get one that's still grey in all spots.

This guide will help you Andrew. And stay away from the god awful Super Mario Sunshine. It is a horrible game.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2006 02:56 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed about the Neo Geo. I was quite frustrated with the home version. Absolutely piss-poor video signal feed with all sorts of feedback distortion. For a while I had an actual 4-slot arcade Neo Geo that I cherried out with beefy speakers and a gold-plated large headphone jack. It wasn't condusive to lugging around a lot, so I sold it when I moved to Seattle.

BTW I have the first version models of the NES, SNES, Genesis, and N64. The Model 1 Genesis is far better than the later ones that came out.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-09-2006 07:27 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I keep telling myself I'll get a new game console, but never do. The only console I've ever owned was the Atari 5200 "super system." It may still be up in my attic, along with a bunch of games.

I had every intention of buying an X-Box, but never got around to it. Even the release of Doom III couldn't get me to bite. Now I'm pondering X-Box360 or Playstation3. Awesome hardware. Cool looking games. But I'll probably waste a shit load of time playing them. And besides, there's always some new computing upgrade or new graphics software release I'm more inclined to buy. I guess Adobe After Effects 7 or Lightwave3D 9 mean more to me since I can make money using those tools.

quote: Mike Blakesley
I'm still waiting for a decent version of my all time classic game, "Defender." There's an online version which looks and sounds perfect, but the controls are lacking. (No thrust or reverse buttons).
You're talking about the Shockwave Flash versions at the Midway and Shockwave.com websites, right? It's been awhile since I tried it, but I could have sworn you could customize key bindings for controls like thrust. The games also work with a joystick. I really liked the highly faithful reproduction of Robotron:2084.

FWIW, Midway also has ports of those same games for X-Box, PS2 and Gamecube:
classic games linky

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-09-2006 07:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would YOU use After Effects for? Hell I barely notice a difference between version 5 and version 6. No, wait. I don't notice a difference at all beyond the splash screen (I have 5.5 or whatever at home and 6.5 or whatever at work).

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-09-2006 08:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
You're talking about the Shockwave Flash versions at the Midway and Shockwave.com websites, right?
Yeah. As for the keys -- no, the only way you can navigate is by the arrow buttons -- up down forward back. So you can't aim precisely because you can't move forward while moving upward, for example. Joystick might be better but you really need the up/down lever and the thrust button. Maybe somebody'll come out with Defender in a console someday. I would definitely buy it.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-09-2006 10:18 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
What would YOU use After Effects for?
Mainly for motion graphics work on large outdoor LED video message center signs. Probably some regular video stuff as well. After Effects 7 is a pretty significant upgrade. The interface has been changed -to where it looks more like a Macromedia StudioMX application actually. And it has a lot of integration with Flash 8 Professional, as well as its usual hooks into Illustrator and Photoshop.

If I just had $4495 laying around, I'd definitely choose eyeon Software Fusion 5 over After Effects. Apple Shake is the only other node-based compositing tool that can hold a candle to Fusion. But I don't have a ton of money laying around and that kind of purchase would likely be overkill...for now.

After Effects is the only application that has me considering the purchase of the next Adobe Video Collection suite. Without AE, I'd probably get one of Avid's packages instead.

quote: Mike Blakesley
Maybe somebody'll come out with Defender in a console someday. I would definitely buy it.
Midway Arcade Treasures volume 1 has Defender, Defender II (we knew it as "Stargate" in the 1980s), Joust, Robotron:2084, Sinistar and even Smash TV. Pretty much covers the best of Williams Electronics coin-op games of the 1980s. The reviews I've read suggest the X-Box version plays the best. YMMV.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-09-2006 10:28 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Defender, Defender II (we knew it as "Stargate" in the 1980s), Joust, Robotron:2084, Sinistar and even Smash TV
Some of the best classic videogames of all time. [beer]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: